Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This program contained a virus and was deleted

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 robgau

robgau

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:59 PM

I removed a virus from a laptop running window 7 Professional. I used RKill and Combofix. I also re-wrote the master boot record to be on the safe side with bootrec /fixmbr. I get a clean scan with Malwarebytes and AVG 2013.

The problem I'm having now is that every time I try to download a file I get the message "This program contained a virus and was deleted". I've scoured the web and tried resetting the IE settings. I installed IE10 as well but that did not fix it. I've run CCleaner on the registry. I've gone through the manual removal steps for Microsoft Security Essentials. MSE was the antivirus on the machine at the time of the infection.

I installed Firefox but the same thing happens. I found instruction for disabling the download scanner for Firefox and once I did that I was able to download files with no problems. I know that's only a bandaid, since I need IE to pass downloads through the antivirus program.

Is there any way to repair Internet Explorer? Totally reset what Antivirus program it looks at when a file is downloaded?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 61,705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:34 PM

Ok what happened here is that you ran ComboFix. Hence we need to see that log and you need to repost with it and the info above here.

Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs         

How do I get help? Who is helping me?
Staying Updated Calendar of Updates.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook Have you seen..Select Real Security

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users