Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something is eating my memory

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JamesPeters

JamesPeters

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:17 PM

I use Windows 7.  I have 8 gig of RAM.  Something eats that memory rapidly whenever I open my video folder.   I have run anti-virus scan and Spybot S&D, which didn't find anything, but I think I have determined what it is.  I discovered that a Youtube video there is a problem.  It will not delete or allow any change to be made, such as relocating or renaming.  No other file presents that problem.  When I open the video folder, the folder goes into a state of continuous loading.  When I try to delete that video, the video goes into a state of continuous loading to the recycle bin without ever deleting.  Meanwhile, my RAM drops very rapidly so that if I use the computer for only a few minutes, it is so low that I have trouble even shutting down.  Closing the vieo folder doen't help, the loading continues.  The video is at - don't download it !  I used Firefox Download Helper, got the Medium MP4 version of the video.  The thing is only 13.7 mb.  What is wrong with it and how do I get rid of it? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JamesPeters

JamesPeters
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:19 PM

I didn't mean for the video to appear in my message, I only gave the address to warn people.  I hope it doesn't make a problem. 

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 35,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:57 PM

Disable thumbnails: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11738-thumbnail-previews-enable-disable.html and see if you can access that folder then.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 JamesPeters

JamesPeters
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

Thanks for the reply.  I want to clarify my understanding on this.  I have never had a problem with thumbnails loading tying up my memory.  I am able to access the folder and use the contents. The problem is a particular video continuously loading and draining my memory, and the fact that it won't delete.  I actually value the thumbnails, prefer to keep them.  Would disabling them enable me to dispose of the video?  Is this the only way? 

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 35,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

I think if we delete that offending file you may be able to re-enable thumbnails.

Download, and install Unlocker: http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/
Restart computer.
It'll install under right click menu.

Open Windows Explorer.
Navigate to offending folder/file.

Right click on a folder/file. Click Unlocker
Select Delete from drop-down menu:

p4025001.gif

Click OK.
A folder/file will refuse to be deleted, but Unlocker will give you an option to delete on reboot:

p4038487.gif

Click Yes.
Restart computer.

==============================================================

If the above doesn't work, try...

LockHunter: http://lockhunter.com/

FileASSASSIN: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/fileassassin.html

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users