Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Easy transfer from XP not working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SPSinSC

SPSinSC

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:51 PM

I used Easy Transfer to move files from a Windows 7 computer onto my new Windows 8 computer yesterday with no problems. Today, I tied to move files from a Windows XP computer. When I click on transfer to the new computer, I get a message that says there is not enough space on the new hard drive to move the files. I have over 600GB of free space. Any ideas? Thanks. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

I haven't used the Easy Transfer tool myself, but from what I've read it will try and transfer most of the files on the old computer, including some system files and user profile data. I found another conversation where one Windows user ran into a problem similar to yours. He pointed out that when trying to transfer some of his system files it included his old computers recovery image and the new computers recovery partition wasn't large enough to transfer. Here's what he did. Good luck!

Jaegermeister replied on  December 3, 2009

"I just went through same - WET (Windows Easy Transfer) from previous Dell PC running Windows 7 Ultimate to HP with Windows 7 Home Premium. Using Belkin Easy Transfer cable.
WET indicated insufficient space although the hard drive is double the size.
I clicked on "Advanced" and noticed that WET was trying to also transfer Dell factory image from recovery partition and recovery partition on HP was smaller.
I de-selected (unchecked) files in recovery partitio on old computer and things are going fine from main to main."

Edited by AdagioBoognish, 15 May 2013 - 03:18 PM.

#3 SPSinSC

SPSinSC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:51 PM

When I used WET on the Windows XP computer, I used the Advanced setting. I only have a total of 11.9 GB on the transfer drive.

#4 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:08 PM

So the issue was the transfer drive being too small?

#5 SPSinSC

SPSinSC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

No. I am transferring 11GB using a 32GB transfer drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users