Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus or Malware I can't find anywhere?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 ymetoo

ymetoo

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:27 AM

I'm not an expert, so this question is really basic.  Is it possible for a virus or malware to hide in place that affects anything you type in, or download, or run, and ultimately keep you from finding it?   I hope I worded that well enough to make sense.   I'm not sure what info to give, but I have a laptop running Windows 7.   I think I have tried every possible program I could find, and nothing major seems to come up. I've been working at this for weeks, and maybe now I'm just seeing things where there is nothing wrong. 

A few weeks back, I definitely downloaded something that my computer didn't like.  I worked every program to get rid of it, and maybe I did.  It's possible in my attempt to remove things manually and randomly that seemed to be part of the problem, I may have just created operating issues, that feel like there is still a virus or malware, but it's simply missing or broken operating files now.   I can't really tell the difference.   I have dozens of log files accumulated now and it's like reading a foreign language for me, but I scan through looking for stuff that may jump out at me. I've never reached out for online help, but I need to find the problem or stop worrying about it, so here I am.  I guess I'm looking for information, in hopes that there's something I haven't tried yet.  My apologies to experts for my amateur entry.    

Programs I tried:

MSE

Microsoft Malicious Software Removal

AdAware

Rogue Killer

Hitman

Fss.exe

RSIT.exe

Combofix

Malware Bytes with Chameleon and Anti root killer

Avast

Kaspersky tdss.killer

ccleaner

autoruns

aswmbr.exe

emsisoft emergency kit

Panda virus scan 2.0

eset

Anyway, I'm sure there are that I'm forgetting at the moment.  It would seem from my list that it is impossible that there is anything hiding after all that.  Yet after I start using my computer normally, it may take an hour or so but eventually it starts acting weird.  Web pages freeze and messages pop up, looking for updates I've done already, or scrip errors looking to be fixed, or transferring data and suddenly I'm back in safemode and scanning again.   I've obviously created a problem I don't know how to fix now.  I guess what I'm wondering is, could there be a virus or malware that hides in such a way that it infects each of those programs as I download them and then hides where they can't find it? 

I appreciate any advice or information people could share.  Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Francis Houle

Francis Houle

• Members
  • 436 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:30 PM

Viruses can be anywhere. They usually are in the user folders like downloads and appdata folder, but they can also be in the temporary files in the program data folder, etc. In short, they are everywhere.

#3 ymetoo

ymetoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:17 PM

Thank you for the reply.  Is there a possibility a virus/malware could be evading all those programs I ran?  Could the problem be altering each security scan as I download it so that it won't find the problem?

#4 Francis Houle

Francis Houle

• Members
  • 436 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

It's possible, but I would be quite surprised.

#5 ymetoo

ymetoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:18 PM

Thank you.  I feel better just hearing from someone else that it's not likely.   I probably removed a necessary file when I was trying to locate the problem.   I'll have to try and figure out what I did.  Do you know how to fix this message : Windows cannot find C:\Microsoft_SDK\Lib\include\iexploror.exe ?   I'm assuming it's popping up because I removed it by accident, but I don't know how to fix it or get rid of the message.  

#6 Francis Houle

Francis Houle

• Members
  • 436 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

The file IEXPLOROR.EXE is identified as the Trojan Program that is used for stealing bank information and users passwords.

#7 ymetoo

ymetoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

That's frightening.  Does that message I'm getting mean it's still in my computer?

#8 ymetoo

ymetoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

Is there a way to check what information left my computer?

#9 Francis Houle

Francis Houle

• Members
  • 436 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

If Windows can't find the file, its not on the computer anymore

#10 ymetoo

ymetoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

But why would my computer keep searching for it, and generate that message whenever I restart my computer?

Do you have any suggestions for the mess I obviously have going on in my computer?

#11 Francis Houle

Francis Houle

• Members
  • 436 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:09 PM

Is this a message that you have at startup or it appears randomly?

#12 ymetoo

ymetoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:17 PM

at startup.

#13 Francis Houle

Francis Houle

• Members
  • 436 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:21 PM

1. Open your msconfig (you type “msconfig” in your Run from your start menu)
  2. Switch to “Startup” tab.

Please provide me a screenshot of what is there.

#14 ymetoo

ymetoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:39 PM

I took the snap shots but I can't figure out how to get them into this message.  Sorry, I'm not an expert at this.  Could it be because I'm in Safe mode?

sorry...I meant screen shots.

#15 Francis Houle

Francis Houle

• Members
  • 436 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:40 PM

Upload it on this website (https://mega.co.nz/) and provide me the link

Edited by Francis Houle, 04 May 2013 - 07:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users