Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank screen after updating

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Glittering-Diamonds

Glittering-Diamonds

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:22 AM

Hi! I'm new to this website and was looking for some help.
Ever since the update KB2823324, my laptop has gone to hell. When it's switched off or goes onto sleeper mode, it doesn't come back on, I can hear the laptop starting up but screen remains blank, I had to leave it a couple of hours and it eventually came on. I assumed it was laptop screen that was at fault but when I looked at forums, people said that said update caused blank screens then it occurred to me that's exactly when my laptop stopped working. I uninstalled the update and guess what? My laptop was working perfectly well. A week later, my laptop informed me there was another Microsoft update but I ignored it as I no longer trusted these update but alas I forgot about it and left my laptop for more that fours hours and it updated. The problem returned and the screen stays off, I know the screen works because I did the same as before, I leave the laptop on for a few hours, come back to it, switch it on and off again and the screen comes on. I installed the new update (I think it's either KB2840149 or KB2839011 - I can't check right now as guess what? My laptop screen is remaining blank) and the problem is still there, the screen remains blank and i have to leave it for a few hours for it to work! It's getting infuriating, I'm not very good with computers so it's hard to keep track on what to do.
I was wondering if anyone knows what to do? My laptop is an HP brand G56 and I'm using Windows 7 home premium if that's anymore help?
Thanks in advance,
Kelsie.
xxx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:13 AM

Hi

Can you access safemode ?. 

While powering on the Laptop keep pressing F8 untill you get the advanced startup menu. Select safemode from there and use system restore to a date prior to the installation buggy of the MS updates.

If you can't  access safemode we need either a Win7 setup DVD or System repair disc to do the offline system restore. Do you have one ?

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 03 May 2013 - 10:14 AM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 17,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:25 AM

Microsoft has recognized the problem and has a download for a ISO file which will repair this.  You can find it here.

You can download it from another computer and burn it to a disc and then use it one the computer with the problem.

You place this disc in your optical drive and restart the computer for this to work.  You may need to enter the BIOS and make the CD/DVD ROM the first device in the boot order.

There are detailed instructions at this site.

Edited by dc3, 03 May 2013 - 10:29 AM.

Please note:  My wife broke her radius in three places at the wrist.  This required surgery where a plate and nine screws were attached to allow this brake to heal properly.  She is recovering now and should make a full recovery over the next six weeks if all goes well.  She is doing well enough now that I don't need to stick quite so close to her and will be able to start getting back to the amount of time I was able to invest previously.

I would like to thank those of you who have expressed your concerns and best wishes for a speedy recovery.  

Sincerely,

Dan

#4 Glittering-Diamonds

Glittering-Diamonds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:35 AM

Hi

Can you access safemode ?. 

While powering on the Laptop keep pressing F8 untill you get the advanced startup menu. Select safemode from there and use system restore to a date prior to the installation buggy of the MS updates.

If you can't  access safemode we need either a Win7 setup DVD or System repair disc to do the offline system restore. Do you have one ?

My reset point doesn't go back far enough, I've tried it before and it didn't work :( since this new update, my laptop hasn't gone on at all! The screen just stays completely blank.
I don't have a Win7 setup DVD or a system repair disc.
Xxx

#5 Glittering-Diamonds

Glittering-Diamonds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:36 AM

Microsoft has recognized the problem and has a download for a ISO file which will repair this.  You can find it here.

You can download it from another computer and burn it to a disc and then use it one the computer with the problem.

You place this disc in your optical drive and restart the computer for this to work.  You may need to enter the BIOS and make the CD/DVD ROM the first device in the boot order.

There are detailed instructions at this site.

Thanks, I'll give that a go. Sorry to ask but is it quite complicated, the BIOS thingy? I'm seriously terrible when it comes to technology.
Xxx

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:41 AM

Hi

Please read this guide to know how to change boot order - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ss/bootorderchange.htm

There is another way. Most Laptops do have a hotkey to change boot order. For HP usually it is F9.  Press F9 repeatedly when powering on until a boot options menu displays. Now insert the CD you downloaded and select your DVD drive from the menu.

#7 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 17,375 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:42 AM

The link below is for a HP website where there are instructions for entering the BIOS and navigating once there.

HP G56-100 Notebook PC series -  HP Notebook PCs - Configuring the Boot Order in the System BIOS - c00364979 - HP Business Support Center

Please note:  My wife broke her radius in three places at the wrist.  This required surgery where a plate and nine screws were attached to allow this brake to heal properly.  She is recovering now and should make a full recovery over the next six weeks if all goes well.  She is doing well enough now that I don't need to stick quite so close to her and will be able to start getting back to the amount of time I was able to invest previously.

I would like to thank those of you who have expressed your concerns and best wishes for a speedy recovery.  

Sincerely,

Dan

#8 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 17,375 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:47 AM

There is another way. Most Laptops do have a hotkey to change boot order. For HP usually it is F9.

The F9 key resets the BIOS to the default settings.  In some HP computers F2 or F6 will access the BIOS, but for this line of  notebook it is F10.

Edited by dc3, 03 May 2013 - 11:48 AM.

Sincerely,

Dan

#9 Glittering-Diamonds

Glittering-Diamonds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:27 PM

Hi

Please read this guide to know how to change boot order - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ss/bootorderchange.htm

There is another way. Most Laptops do have a hotkey to change boot order. For HP usually it is F9.  Press F9 repeatedly when powering on until a boot options menu displays. Now insert the CD you downloaded and select your DVD drive from the menu.

Okay thank you for the information, I shall give it a try!

#10 Glittering-Diamonds

Glittering-Diamonds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:29 PM

The link below is for a HP website where there are instructions for entering the BIOS and navigating once there.

HP G56-100 Notebook PC series -  HP Notebook PCs - Configuring the Boot Order in the System BIOS - c00364979 - HP Business Support Center

There is another way. Most Laptops do have a hotkey to change boot order. For HP usually it is F9.

The F9 key resets the BIOS to the default settings.  In some HP computers F2 or F6 will access the BIOS, but for this line of  notebook it is F10.

Thanks again for that information, definitely trying it out. I shall post to say if it works.

xxx

#11 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:06 PM

Hi Dc3

If i am not mistaken F9 to load defaults is from inside BIOS (After entering in to BIOS).

Generally Pressing F2 during boot will invoke system diagnostics and F9 will open an on the fly boot options menu in most common HP and Compaq Laptops. Yes, there are some HP business models witch uses F2 to enter BIOS.  

#12 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 17,375 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:11 AM

I would suggest reading the HP article if you have any questions regarding the specific F keys. :thumbup2:  

This is detracting from the topic and I feel is a disservice to Glittering-Diomonds.

Edited by dc3, 04 May 2013 - 09:46 AM.

Sincerely,

Dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users