Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accidentally shut off computer during system restore!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 moojomoore

moojomoore

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

Hello, I cracked my laptop screen and I wanted to hook it up to a VGA monitor and I got it to work. But then I did a system restore to get rid of all files and software and I accidentally shut down while it was restoring and now it won't work with my VGA monitor and I can't see the laptop screen as the whole screen is cracked. Is there anyway to restart the system restore without being able to see a screen? My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5320. The computer is running Windows 8.

Edited by moojomoore, 30 April 2013 - 05:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Emankcin

Emankcin

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

Listen, I'm not a tech. I don't want to steer you wrong, but this advice won't involve installing or running anything, so it should be ok. The reason I am replying is your laptop is the exact same model as mine. Have you tried hooking it up to an HDTV through the HDMI port? I sometimes hook mine up to my TV to watch movies.

#3 moojomoore

moojomoore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:01 PM

Thanks for the help Emankcin! But I have already tried that and yes, I have tried to hook it up to an HDTV through the HDMI port on the computer but I still didn't have any luck with that. 

#4 Emankcin

Emankcin

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:23 PM

Ok. That's all I got. Sorry.

#5 Rewster

Rewster

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:54 PM

You will probably need a buddy's computer to reformat the harddrive, then just  install windows on it again. I shut my comp off during a restore and it just made the harddrive unusable, never bothered reformatting because I needed a completely new computer anyways.

#6 moojomoore

moojomoore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:23 PM

Hello Rewster, can you give me directions or direct me to a website that shows me how to reformat my hard drive? I also don't have the disk for windows as it came preinstalled so how would I get that?

#7 Emankcin

Emankcin

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:58 AM

Windows 8 restore disc is on a partition on the computer itself... Is there no way to just get a new screen for the laptop?

#8 moojomoore

moojomoore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:05 AM

I just bought myself a new screen from Screen Surgeons and I will be installing it on Friday when it arrives. Hopefully I can get my computer to work after installing it! 

#9 Emankcin

Emankcin

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:37 AM

Yay! Solutions! Congrats, and good luck!

By the way, if you don't mind my asking, how much they charge? Just in case I screw up and have to go through this...

#10 moojomoore

moojomoore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

Emankcin, it was $81 but it added $14+change for shipping and tax!

#11 Emankcin

Emankcin

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:31 PM

Sweetness... That's not too bad...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users