Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

White Screen - "Please connect to the internet"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Micallen

Micallen

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:22 AM

I have a co-worker who's computer this morning just displayed a white screen with the words (in the upper left corner) "Please connect to the internet."

You can not get into task manager.  You can only restart or shut down.

I tried to boot into safe mode, but it's not really safe mode.  It says safe mode in the 4 corners of the screen, but has a standard-looking Windows logon screen in the middle with username already filled in, and waiting for you to fill in the password (I didn't).

It's a laptop running Win X Pro.

Where do I start ??

Micallen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 johngreen168

johngreen168

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:42 AM

Based on what you said, you have successfully entered Safe Mode. So ask your friend to enter the password,

But it is probably a graphic card problem, so if your friend has a spare grahpic card, try it and see how it goes.

you may read this link for suggestion

#3 Micallen

Micallen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:53 AM

I'm pretty sure it's some sort of virus.  When you turn the computer on, Windows starts up (all graphics are fine.)  Log On to Windows pops up (I log on).  Windows loads (I see all icons) for about 8-10 seconds.  Then, it goes to the white screen.

He just told me his wife called and they have the same problem on their home computer - except theirs says something like "Your computer is locked out.  You are bening fined for illegal internet activity.  Click here to pay the $300 fine to the FBI."

Has to be the same thing...

Micallen

#4 johngreen168

johngreen168

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:35 AM

Look like it is a malware issue, please read this topic and post your DDS logs in here

#5 Micallen

Micallen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

I can't do any of that.  The computer is basically inoperable.  I took the HD out, put it in a working computer and pulled the important files off of it.  Then I ran AVG AV on the it (it found nothing).  I also ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, but I'm not sure if it scanned that HD (In know AVG did.)

I just put it back in the computer and have the same white screen 10 seconds or so after windows loads.

Micallen

#6 johngreen168

johngreen168

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

I tried to boot into safe mode, but it's not really safe mode.  It says safe mode in the 4 corners of the screen, but has a standard-looking Windows logon screen in the middle with username already filled in, and waiting for you to fill in the password (I didn't).

I think the laptop is operable, but it is the matter of the password, right?

According to this link, it could be a driver issue, but first, I would like you to enter into Safe mode. Please read How Do I Start Windows in Safe Mode? and choose your operating system, any problem , please let me know :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users