Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to load apps directly to the SD card instead of internal memory

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jimpeel

jimpeel

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:51 AM

I have an Android phone (Huawei U8651T) and I am able to xfer some of the apps to the SD card to preserve the internal memory (IM). Much of that memory is taken up by useless apps placed there by T-Mobile and they are not able to be xferred to the SD card nor are they able to be deleted.

As a result, the IM is used up quickly. That brings us to my problem.

When I try to add an app to the phone it is loaded to the IM first and then, if I am fortunate, it can be xferred to the SD card. In many cases, I cannot do that.

I now am in the position that when I try to add an app I get the message "Insufficient Memory Available." The problem with that message is I am trying to add an app that is 4.5m and I still have 18m of memory left on the phone.

I tried calling Google and they were very helpful. One of the suggestions is to unload an app and then load the one I want to load. After that is loaded, simply reload the app I removed. Damned if that didn't actually work!

So, apparently, the app that you are loading has to have room for temp files, or some such, to load; or it starts life as a compressed file and is larger installed than when downloaded.

So my question, after that long intro, is this: Is it possible to load the apps directly to the SD card instead of to the phone; and if so, how so? Can it be done on a pc or laptop and then placed back into the phone or can it be done directly through the phone's USB port to the SD card? Will the phone recognise the app after it is loaded to the SD card insead of to the phone?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

j

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 johngreen168

johngreen168

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:57 AM

I don't think that you can load app in your sd card. The best option that I can think of is to remove some apps that you rarely use it.

#3 jimpeel

jimpeel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:44 AM

According to THIS ARTICLE the answer is "No." Unless the Android device is loaded with 2.2 OS or higher there is no provision to move/store/load the app to the SD card.

CRAP!

#4 johngreen168

johngreen168

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:46 AM

Maybe this link is helpful. Even though you can install it in your sd card, it is gonna be long process.

#5 jimpeel

jimpeel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:46 AM

Ah ha!

According to THIS FORUM POST there is a way to set the default installation to the SD card. Sounds a little complicated for the uninitiated but worth a try. I am computer savvy so I will try it and get back with some answers.

Oops. I see Johngreen168 beat me to that one.

Edited by jimpeel, 25 April 2013 - 02:55 AM.

#6 johngreen168

johngreen168

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:02 AM

Let me know the result :)

#7 jimpeel

jimpeel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:14 AM

Knowing me, I'll likely brick the phone.

#8 johngreen168

johngreen168

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:05 AM

Doesn't work?

#9 jimpeel

jimpeel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

Haven't tried yet. It will take some time before I can get to this. Too many things on my plate so I will likely have to do this in chapters in any spare time I can get.

#10 jimpeel

jimpeel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

Didn't work. Wouldn't recognize my phone.

Huawei does not have any downloadable drivers for my phone.

The instructions given are in a platform that I do not have so I was not able to get them to work. I have XP Home which is up to date.

CRAP!

Anyone have any other ideas?

Edited by jimpeel, 29 April 2013 - 03:47 PM.

#11 jimpeel

jimpeel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:00 AM

Anyone?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users