Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows XP updates error 0x80070005

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 XML2005

XML2005

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:30 AM

I had been away for about a month. Before leaving, I had run cCleaner on my Windows XP Pro-SP3 desktop (but don't know whether this caused my current problem.) Upon returning, I tried doing four Microsoft Updates (KB2820917, KB2808735, KB2813170, and KB2813345) from an Administrator account. All failed with Installation Failure, Error Code: 0x80070005.

First, I tried the Microsoft Update Autofix from http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_update.

Issue persists.

Then, I contacted Microsoft Answer Desk; they said it could be Permissions or malware, but did not provide any solutions.

I clicked on the cCleaner backup to restore my registry, but that raised an error message: "Cannot import the file name. Error accessing the registry."

Can someone please help?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 18,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:13 AM

Try the following.

Click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png, type slmgr.vbs  in the Search programs and files.

When slmgr.vbs appears in Search programs and files ring click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.  Groucho Marx

#3 XML2005

XML2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:58 PM

Thanks, Arachibutyrophobia. I think you are referring to Windows 7. How would I fix Win Software License Mgmt in Windows XP Pro?

#4 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 18,525 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

Let's try this again now that my meds have slacked off.

Go to this Microsoft Support site and use the Fix it that pops up when the page opens.

#5 XML2005

XML2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:06 AM

I appreciate your input. Good try, but now I'm certainly stumped. Wasted hours on this, with no luck. Here's my log of all I tried, with details of your suggestion in Item #7:

04/21/13 Microsoft Updates didn't work, I suspect may have been caused by cCleaner!

Running Windows XP Pro-SP3 desktop with IE8 (which is the latest version for XP) and Norton Internet Security.

1. Tried to install four updates: KB2820917, KB2808735, KB2813170, and KB2813345. All four failed to download, with Error Code 0x80070005.

1. In Internet Options, deleted history, allowed activeX controls to run without prompt, and unchecked “Do not save encrypted pages to disk.”

I turned off Popup Blocker & Smart Screen Filter.

I ran SuperAntiSpyware full scan.

Tried again. Same error.

1. I went to: http://support.microsoft.com/find-solutions/windows/windows-xp/

Clicked on: Fix performance, errors or crashes

And then clicked on: Windows Update

Which led to: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_update

Did not help.

1. I contacted MS Phone Support. Rep guessed it is either malware or permissions issues. He could not help more than that.

1. I ran command:

secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\\repair\\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose

This placed a log in "C:\WINDOWS\security\logs\scesrv.log".

Tried again. Did not work.

1. Then I noticed that my Windows 7 laptop can no longer connect to this desktop via Remote Desktop Connection. It had been able to do so before I ran into these problems.

1. I went to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/KB971058 , for Windows Update failures, as Arachibutyrophobia had kindly suggested.

I ran the popup.

Didn’t help.

I set a restore point.

I clicked on Let me fix it myself

Ran Steps 1,2,3 and 5 successfully. Step 4 is not applicable.

In Step 6, I got three errors:

o       Dialog Box: mshtml.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found. This file can not be registered.

o       Dialog Box: LoadLibrary("wucltux.dll") failed - The specified module could not be found.

o       Error on the Command screen: LoadLibrary("wuwebv.dll") failed - The specified module could not be found.

In Step 7, I got an error on the Command screen: The following command was not found: reset winsock.

Ran Steps 8 and 9.

Step 10 is not applicable.

Clicked on Step 11, which brought me to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104

Ran the popup.

Restarted.

Tried again, and got same problem.

1. Reset IE 8 to all original settings.

Restarted IE.

Tried again, and now was offered the original four updates plus a new one, KB2817183, which worked. But the four old ones failed to download, with the same error code 0x80070005.

1. Downloaded 32-bit MS Safety scanner from http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Turned off Norton firewall, double-clicked MSERT.exe, and ran full scan.

It found OpenCandy spyware and removed it partially.

So I ran Malwarebytes full scan, which found no malicious items.

Windows Updates still fail with the same error code.

#6 XML2005

XML2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:09 AM

Sorry, Arachibutyrophobia, I don't know what happened to my numbering formats when I clicked on "Post". The seventh item is the one referring to KB971058. Thanks again for any help anyone can provide.  :cherry:

#7 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 18,525 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

Have you used the registry cleaner in Ccleaner?

Do you have the XP installation disc?

#8 XML2005

XML2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:09 PM

I am embarrassed to confess that YES, I did use the registry cleaner in cCleaner. My bad. For several years, I'd used Advanced System Care with no problem; I don't know what possessed my to switch to cCleaner.

I tried clicking on cCleaner's registry backup, but it didn't help. 

I have the Dell XP reinstallation disk, but I am hesistant to use it, as 1) I've never reinstalled an OS and 2) I'm sure it would take a few days.

If that is my only recourse, is this something I can find instructions for online, which I mjght be able to follow via my laptop? Or do I need to take my desktop to a pro?

Thanks again.

#9 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 18,525 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

You can do a repair installation with the Dell installation disc.  Unlike a reformat and fresh installation the repair will not effect your data.

There is a good tutorial which can be found here.  The whole process shouldn't take but about an hour.

#10 XML2005

XML2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

Thanks, noPeanutButterMan! I'll try to get to this over the weekend, and I'll let you know how it goes.

#11 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 18,525 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

I'll be here if you have any questions.

#12 XML2005

XML2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:03 AM

Sorry, I just now realized I'd rudely never gotten back to you. How I hate when friends ask me for PC advice and then never get back to let me know whether I'd helped!

Shortly after our last communication, I followed the steps in the tutorial to do the repair. Now, the PC is up and running albeit slower than it had been, but it's good enough: It's my backup computer, and it's mostly used by the kids. We rarely use it to go online.

Thank you most belatedly for your help.

#13 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 18,525 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

Late or not, it's good to know this resolved  most of your problem.

I would suggest that you run chkdsk /r, this will repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information.

Click on Start, click on Run and type cmd in the box and press Enter.  

You will see an image similar to the one below.

Screenshot2.jpg

Type in or copy and paste chkdsk /r in the Command Prompt and then press Enter.  If you type this in be aware of the space between chkdsk and /r.

You will get the following message:

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.  Would you like to shcedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  (Y/N)

Press the Y key, then press Enter

Restart your computer to run the scan.  This has five sections and will take some time.  Please don't try to use your computer while this scan is running.

A log file will be created which can be found in winlogon.  This can be found in the Event Viewer under Applications.

Click on Start, type eventvwr.msc then click on Enter.  Click on Application and select the most recent winlogon entry.

Please copy and then paste this in your next post.

Please run sfc /scannow.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

During this scan you may be prompted to insert your installation disc in the DVD/CD drive, if you have this disc you will want to have it available before you start the scan.

To initiate this scan go to Start, click on Run and type in sfc /scannow then press enter.  Please note the space between the sfc and the /scannow.

If files are found during this scan which need to be replaced you may be prompted to insert your installation disc, do so at that time.   If it doesn't ask you for the disc this means that it wasn't necessary to replace any files.   In the event the the system asks you for the disc, you must visit Windows Update immediately after the scan is completed (Please note that there won't be any confirmation dialog - the program will just exit without telling you anything).

Please let me know how the computer is running after this.

dc3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users