Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jago45

jago45

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

MSE keeps refusing to update and gives an error message. I tried removing any malware using MSE and other programs, but it didn't help. So I'd like to install a different anti-malware program like Avast. But MSE can't be uninstalled in the usual manner of going thru ConTrol Panel and Uninstall. The smucks at Microsoft made it very hard to uninstall. I've searched extensively, but all the manual uninstall programs are complicated and the one I tried didn't work. Is there a good uninstall procedure? If not, can I just add Avast without removing MSE? I've read that you shouldn't have more than one antivirus program on your computer. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edit: Email deleted as we do not support help via email as it defeats the purpose of forums and prevents others learning from the information. Additionally we cannot verify that the help or suggestions submitted are safe and or credible via email. Not to mention your email being harvested for massive amounts of spam by bots. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aztony

aztony

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

MSE keeps refusing to update and gives an error message. I tried removing any malware using MSE and other programs, but it didn't help. So I'd like to install a different anti-malware program like Avast. But MSE can't be uninstalled in the usual manner of going thru ConTrol Panel and Uninstall. The smucks at Microsoft made it very hard to uninstall. I've searched extensively, but all the manual uninstall programs are complicated and the one I tried didn't work. Is there a good uninstall procedure? If not, can I just add Avast without removing MSE? I've read that you shouldn't have more than one antivirus program on your computer. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Email deleted as we do not support help via email as it defeats the purpose of forums and prevents others learning from the information. Additionally we cannot verify that the help or suggestions submitted are safe and or credible via email. Not to mention your email being harvested for massive amounts of spam by bots. ~ Animal

What do you mean you can't uninstall from the 'add/remove programs list in control panel? What happens when you do, i.e. what error(s) do you get? Not recommended that you install Avast with MSE still on the system as they will likely conflict with each other. Start your system in safe mode and see if you can uninstall MSE then.

#3 TwinHeadedEagle

TwinHeadedEagle

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:59 PM

- Download MSE setup
- Press Windows Key + R
- Drag and drop MSD setup to Run field
- Add /U at the end and press OK
- Try to Uninstall

#4 TwinHeadedEagle

TwinHeadedEagle

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

You can try this uninstaller too --> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/microsoft-security-essentials-removal-tool/

EDIT: Sorry for double post

Edited by TwinHeadedEagle, 10 April 2013 - 02:42 PM.

#5 jago45

jago45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

What do you mean you can't uninstall from the 'add/remove programs list in control panel? What happens when you do, i.e. what error(s) do you get? Not recommended that you install Avast with MSE still on the system as they will likely conflict with each other. Start your system in safe mode and see if you can uninstall MSE then.

#6 jago45

jago45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

I mean I when I select MSE from the program list I get the error message:

"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

Click OK to try again or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package "epp.msi" in the box below.

Use source:

c:\dfd97d4aa72368c3b433d833a23223a\x86\  Browse"

I searched the whole computer for the file epp.msi and it reported no such file is there.

#7 jago45

jago45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

Where do I find MSE setup? I think I tried this before and couldn't find that file on the Microsoft site or anywhere.

- Download MSE setup
- Press Windows Key + R
- Drag and drop MSD setup to Run field
- Add /U at the end and press OK
- Try to Uninstall

#8 TwinHeadedEagle

TwinHeadedEagle

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

I remembered, I had this problem once. MSE rejected to uninstall when there was another AV product installed. Try to remove avast and then remove MSE.

You can find installer at the following link

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5201

Choose version appropriate to your system architecture (x86 or x64)

#9 jago45

jago45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:41 PM

I think I got rid of MSE by first downloading and running the free edition of Malwarebytes Antimalware, then FixIt from the Microsoft site, although I can't seem to get rid of the little green MSE icon on the Start taskbar. I guess I can leave it this way, with SuperAntispyware free edition (which is intended to run with a complete antimalware program) and Malwarebytes Antimalware, although I'm not sure I understand the latter. All the reviews say it's a great program but doesn't have real-time protection; i.e., you just have to run a scan frequently. This seems odd. And I'm not sure if this free edition can be used indefinitely. They're all kind of slimy about such things. I clicked to download it from CNET at first, but what was downloaded and installed was some other antivirus program (APO or something). So I got the Malwarebytes Antimalware directly from their site. I clicked on the free version, but I'm not sure that's what I got. There was a message about it lasting 15 days and then having to be reverified or something. I wouldn't mind buying a good antimalware program if it really worked and they didn't use such slimy tactics to manipulate you into buying one.

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:14 PM

Start msconfig (type msconfig in a run box)

Select the startup tab

disable "Microsoft Security Client" restart your system

Tray icon will be gone

How do I get help? Who is helping me?
Staying Updated Calendar of Updates.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook Have you seen..Select Real Security

#11 TwinHeadedEagle

TwinHeadedEagle

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:25 AM

Are you sure you removed it completely. I found drivers left, had to shoot them with Avenger :D

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,531 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:14 PM

Sometimes removal via Add/Remove does not work properly if you have not terminated msseces.exe in task manager and stopped and disabled the Microsoft Security Essentials service.

Microsoft has several support articles detailing how to do this.
How to manually uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0.1963 if you cannot uninstall it by using the Add or Remove Programs
How to manually uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials 1.0.1963 if you cannot uninstall it by using the Add or Remove Programs
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#13 angel959

angel959

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:34 PM

I have the same problem so I used the uninstaller but now I get a message at startup saying the client cant load go to admin and has a error code 0x008007.... HELP PLEASE I WANT IT GONE One of the forum guys helped me before and said there is no trace of it on comp but clearly there is I had similar problem with java but that was easy to fix by uninstalling re installing Them my explorer went down but think thats an explorer 10 issue so removed it(as far as you can anyway)some suggestions other than the ones here because I have tried them all and yes it removed it but has left this annoying remnant

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,531 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:37 PM

See Uninstalling Microsoft Security Essentials by Stephen Boots, MVP
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#15 Jacklalanne

Jacklalanne

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:00 AM

Thank you quietman! This method/tool completely removed all vestiges of MSE from my system. Regards, Jacklalanne

Edited by Jacklalanne, 11 April 2014 - 09:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users