Platform: ASUS laptop, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit SP 1, Microsoft Office 2010
Printer: HP Deskjet 3000 J310 Series, connected to USB port
Sometimes documents do not always print. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts as to why this happens.
Here are the symptoms and additional clues:
(1) When this problem occurs, and I am looking at the print queue, the document will show up in the queue as "printing", the document will eventually disappear from the queue as though the document had printed, but in fact nothing was printed.
(2) So far this appears to only happen with Microsoft Office documents. Unknown whether this also happens with PDF and text files but it may.
(3) At one point, I had two Excel documents that would not print. I saved the documents in PDF format and was able to print the PDF files even though the Excel documents would not print.
(4) My Excel documents are of type "xlsx" and the Word documents are of type "docx".
(5) The problem is not the printer. I can always print test pages using the printer software on the laptop.
(6) The problem is not the printer USB cable. I tried another cable without a change to this problem.
(7) The documents that do not print have an incorrect default printer paper quality. I have set the default printer paper quality preference to be "Plain Paper, FAST Quality" rather than "Plain Paper, NORMAL Quality". When the printing problem occurs, the document I am about to print has the wrong paper quality preference. Thus prior to clicking on "print", when I look at the paper quality preference, this attribute will be displayed as "Plain Paper, NORMAL Quality" and not "Plain Paper, Fast Quality". Have no idea why this document will have the wrong paper quality or where it acquired this attribute. However when the paper quality is wrong for a particular document, the document will never print.
(8) If I look at the display of Devices and Printers (printer, monitor, etc.), sometimes I will see "Unknown device". Unplugging the printer USB cable from the laptop causes this device to disappear from the list of Devices and Printers. Note that this only seldom occurs. Thus when a document does not print, the list of Devices and Printers may stillbe correct.
(9) I have scanned the laptop with Malwarebytes, TDSSKiller, GMER, Avast (my anti-virus software), Stinger and SUPERAntiSpyware - no malware was found.