Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GPT Partition Style Error when trying to dual-boot Windows 7 & 8...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:31 PM

I recently bought a new DELL Inspiron laptop with Windows 8 pre-installed on it. I, however, want to dual-boot Windows 7 with the pre-installed copy of Windows 8. If I'm correct, it uses UEFI(I had to disable secure boot to boot into the Windows 7 DVD) and the hard disk is partitioned using GPT. However, during installation...when the time comes to select the partition, the error that pops up is this:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT Partition Style.

But if Windows 7 x64 supports booting from a GPT disk, why is this error even coming up?... since I'm already using a x64 Windows 7...so why is this happening?

Also, besides from that. I tried another way to get around this problem by installing Windows 7 on a new hard disk using a powershell script from within Windows 8. The installation was unattended, so it went fine - but when I tried to boot into Windows 7, it gets stuck at the Starting Windows screen. Why is this happening? And how could this be fixed?

Will I have to reformat the entire HDD again as MBR/GPT? How can I fix this without doing that?

Found a helpful link, but not quite sure what do with it: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/13326-downgrade-windows-8-windows-7-a.html(look at bottom when dual-booting with preinstalled windows 8 and windows 7). Also, I don't want to delete all the partitions, I want to keep the preinstalled Windows 8 OS.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 28 March 2013 - 11:19 PM.

SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 registral

registral

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:47 AM

Windows 7-8 dual boot description...

#3 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:07 AM

Windows 7-8 dual boot description...

It's about installing Windows 8 on a PC preinstalled with Windows 7. I want it the other way around. Thanks for your help anyways.

SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users