Hello! I just came home from a vacation I went on (wasn't really much of a vacation though, long story short there were some rude people that sort of ruined it for me) to find out that there is now malware on the family computer, and I'm the only tech-savvy guy in this house, so I'm also the one that has to find a way to remove it!
To sum up what he basically did, he wanted a video recording application that was, I quote, "better than fraps." So, instead of waiting a few minutes to ask his tech-savvy brother who knows a few good recording applications, or even waiting to ask for approval on a program, what does he do? HE DOWNLOADS THE FIRST THING HE SEES ON A GOOGLE AD. (Sorry for the unnecessary caps lock, just sort of pissed off.) The program he downloaded was named ezvid (obviously, don't download it.) He said he likes it. I don't think it was worth the cruddy malware, myself. Looking at my Task Manager window, I see a few new foreign programs that don't look like they belong...
- OtShot (which is now alerting me it was "unable to load skin" or something)
- "DefaultTabSearch.exe" and an additional tab labeled "DefaultTab Update Service"
- "Optimizer Pro Smart Scan" and "Optimizer Pro Speed Guard"
- (This one REALLY, REALLY pissed me off when iI saw it) Search Protect by Conduit
- PEV.DAT (just seems a bit foreign and not-belonging-on-my-task-manager-ish)
- (May be legit, but seems unfamiliar to my eyes) WMI Provider Host
I tried to run dds.com, however the scan never finished spite waiting about 5-10 minutes, and so I decided (hoping that I do not receive a reply that says "WHAT DID YOU DOOO NOW YOU BROKE YOUR COMPUTER" for doing this) to close it out via Task Manager.
Please help me out here. I should also note that I am running 64-bit Windows 8.
Edited by FRiNKEL, 25 March 2013 - 02:17 AM.