Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

annoying pop up

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 katouriann

katouriann

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

In the last few days everytime I open a web page including this one, that annoying pop up comes along the right side of the screen hiding half of what is on the page. I constantly have to scroll to the top and x out of it. How do I stop this from happening?  It is called related searches...

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 25 March 2013 - 11:31 AM.
PM sent re signature. Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

margiedogholdingshoe2.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,371 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:11 PM

Hello katouriann

Appears to be a browser hijack. Lets get a few logs and see what we get.

Please Download TDSSkiller
Launch it.
Click on change parameters-Select TDLFS file system
Click on "Scan".
Please post the LOG report(log file should be in your C drive)

Do not change the default options on scan results.

MiniToolBox
Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

>>>>>

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.
•Close all open programs and internet browsers.
•Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
•Click on Delete.
•Confirm each time with Ok.
•You will be prompted to restart your computer. A text file will open after the restart.
•Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
•You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

>>>>

Now I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan

• Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  • Click the esetonlinebtn.png  button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
  • Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.

NOTE:Sometimes if ESET finds no infections it will not create a log.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?
Staying Updated Calendar of Updates.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook Have you seen..Select Real Security

#3 katouriann

katouriann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

Oh my gosh,thanks so much for this answer.  All I ran was the ADW Cleaner. It is a great little tool.  In a matter of seconds, it found so many things that had to be removed.  After the computer re-booted, it was back to normal.  I have no idea how this happens.  I haven't downloaded anything in quite a while, so don't know where it came from... Thanks again..

#4 Protech_solutions

Protech_solutions

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:20 PM

This is what unfortunate about the internet, you can click on a link a download something without even knowing about it! So glad you solved your problem! Do you have a virus scanner on your computer? If not, I would suggest getting one, it has saved my computer many times!

#5 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

katouriann, to be on the safe side you should probably run all the scans and posts the logs that boopme asked for in # 2.

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#6 katouriann

katouriann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

Of course I have a virus scanner, but this wasn't a virus. I  really don't understand how a browser can be hijacked, but it is fixed now..

#7 katouriann

katouriann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

If everything seems to be working perfectly, I wonder if it is necessary to do all that was suggested here?  I am just thankful that it is all running smoothly again.. Thanks

katouriann, to be on the safe side you should probably run all the scans and posts the logs that boopme asked for in # 2.

#8 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

It's your call. If issues reoccur you can always come back...

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

Well if you feel it good to go then....
Now you should Create a New Restore Point (alternate method) to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been backed up, renamed and saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.
The easiest and safest way to do this is:

• Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.

Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the newly created Restore Point.

EDIT:
Understanding Spyware, Browser Hijackers, and Dialers

Edited by boopme, 20 March 2013 - 08:17 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?
Staying Updated Calendar of Updates.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook Have you seen..Select Real Security

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users