Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drifting Cursor

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 James T Kirk

James T Kirk

• Members
  • 236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

Hello computer people!

I have a Dell Latitude.
Does anyone know why the cursor slowly drifts across the screen by itself when it is idle? :notme:

--Captain Kirk

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 61,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

Hello..a couple suggestions here unless some one posts an exact fix.

Have you updated the Synaptics driver for the touchpad?

Try to either uninstall the Synaptics software and use the built-in windows mouse driver or change the Synaptics settings for the pointer for Heavy Touch.

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/04/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=&l=&s=&docid=277550

How do I get help? Who is helping me?
Staying Updated Calendar of Updates.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook Have you seen..Select Real Security

#3 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 236 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

I haven't updated or installed any synaptic software for the laptop at all. I am currently using the built in mouse drivers that came with the laptop or with the XP OS install.

Are you suggesting the installation of the Synaptics software? And that when this is done, to then change the setting to the pointer for Heavy Touch?

Thank you,

Sincerely,

--Captain Kirk

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,471 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:28 PM

I would uninstall the Synaptic drivers...via Device Manager....then reboot.

The drivers may be damaged and unable to properly respond.

Louis

#5 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 236 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:05 AM

Louis,

XP has the Synaptic drivers, or the Synaptic drivers are built into the ROM of the computer as part of the motherboard?

I looked under every single listing in the Device Manager, but did not see ANY listing of the Synaptic drivers, but I was not surprised, as I have not installed this to the computer.

But if it had been there (in the Device Manager), it would have been under "keyboards" or "system devices"?

I have never heard of the Synaptic drivers: are they something that you have to download? From Microsoft?

--Captain Kirk

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,471 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

Go to Device Manager/Mice and Other Pointing Devices...that's where my Samsung laptop reflects the touchpad driver/hardware.

Synaptics provides the technology for such for many OEMs...that's why many of us make a general reference to "synaptics" as being equivalent to "touchpad".

If you have anything other than a mouse reflected in that category...uninstall the drivers, then reboot.

Louis

#7 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 236 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

Nope, just got the general listing of "PS/2 Compatible Mouse" listed under the category of "Mice and Other Pointing Devices".

There is nothing else.

By the way, I do not have a newer laptop, so maybe this is it, or it has to do with what the manufacturer decides to put into the motherboard?

Anyways, it seems that this is how the Samsung differs from the Compaq. The Compaq is made by HP. Who makes the Samsung?

At first I thought you were talking about a Windows issue, where the default program that was used was the Synaptic drivers...

--Captain Kirk

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,471 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

What model Dell Latitude...is this, please?

Louis

#9 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 236 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

Louis,

I have a Dell Latitude C600

--Captain Kirk

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,471 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

Uninstall your mouse drivers, using Device Manager...then reboot.

Louis

#11 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 236 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:03 PM

Louis,

When I plug a mouse in, the cursor does not drift when idle.

However, when there is NO mouse, and I am using the touch pad, the cursor drifts when idle.

I know that the computer should not be doing that. SOMETHING is wrong, but I don't know what, nor how to fix it.

So now that you know that when I plug a mouse in, the cursor does not drift when idle, should I still uninstall the mouse?

Won't it try to correct the problem for the mouse when it is the touchpad instead? If I uninstall the mouse

driver, will it mess up my mouse so that now, even when the mouse is plugged in, the cursor will now drift

with the mouse as well and not just for the touchpad alone?

--Captain Kirk

Edited by James T Kirk, 08 March 2013 - 09:04 PM.

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R. I. T.S. (and proud of it)

• Global Moderator
  • 8,633 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:03 PM

Uninstalling the laptop touchpad drivers will not impact the plugged in mouse.
They are 2 separate devices with different drivers. Uninstalling the drivers for one will not mess up the other one.

You need to do as suggested and uninstall the laptop touchpad drivers. Reboot. Windows will see it as new hardware and install the drivers.

Synaptics, when installed, gives you a program which lets you control touchpad functions such as 2 finger scrolling, pinch zoom, tapping, etc. (these can all be disabled).

#13 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 236 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:01 PM

Dear Queen-Evie,
Hello Official Bleepin' Bama Belle
Nice ta' meet ya' :bubbles:

I looked through ALL of the drivers in the Device Manager list and no "laptop touchpad drivers" were listed.
The 'only' thing that shows up is the mouse drivers.

If the mouse drivers and the touchpad drivers are different, then uninstalling the mouse drivers won't help/fix the touchpad drivers.
But if this is what you want me to do anyways, then I will do this.
I just don't want to cause my mouse to start doing what my touchpad is doing right now, drifting when idle.

I have not installed the Synaptic drivers unless they came with the default Windows XP OS install.
I have installed XP. 
I have not installed the Synaptic drivers.
If you want me to install the Synaptic drivers to fix this problem then just tell me.

--Captain Kirk :football:

#14 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R. I. T.S. (and proud of it)

• Global Moderator
  • 8,633 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:08 PM

Can you use your touchpad? If so, unplug the wired mouse (or wireless transceiver if you have a wireless mouse), go to device manager and see what is listed under Mice and pointing devices.

Can you explain what you mean by drifts when idle? Are your hands on your keyboard positioned in a way that you could accidentally be moving them on the touchpad, which would cause the cursor to move?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 09 March 2013 - 10:11 PM.

#15 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 236 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:11 AM

hELLO qUEEN eVIE,
iTS mE, y'ALL :bounce:

Yes, I can use my touchpad.
Interesting, just as 'I' thought.
In fact, I tried this very thing yesterday, as I had the idea that this may have an effect.
I did this just to see if there was a difference, or to see if anything else showed up.

I unplugged the mouse.
When I then went to the Device Manager, the PS/2 Compatible Mouse driver still showed up in this list.
In fact, just as before under this section, "the mice and other pointing devices" section, this was the only thing there!

This does not occur when the mouse is plugged in.
When the mouse is unplugged, and I only use the touchpad -- this is when you see it.
With the touchpad, the cursor steers normally with your fingers when you use it.
Sometimes, after you take your hands off of the laptop and wait several seconds to a minute, the cursor decides to just start floating in one direction in a slow but steady course continually across the screen :warrior:

When you are not touching the laptop, you can sit and watch the cursor just drift on down the screen slowly.
But now that I am trying to analyze it, I have noticed that the cursor seems to be drifting in a "/" diagonal direction, either up or down, but mostly down.
Though it may have gone other directions before.

There is also another interesting facet to this whole thing:
When I press the touchpad top or bottom left or right button, the cursor ALWAYS immediately does a quick strafe across the screen, making it difficult to point and click on specific boxes on the screen and for the computer to have "seen" that I had been pointing at that exact spot 'before' I clicked the touchpad button.
Example: I am pointing here --> "X", but when I press the touchpad button, the cursor and the computer registers the click as this point, "Y" here, instead.
However, the distance between point and click is only about 1", so it would be, "X" and  --> "Y".
In conclusion, it is very difficult to successfully click a box or such.

I became concerned recently when I had had my computer on for several hours, during which time the cursor worked just fine with the mouse plugged in.
After this point, after I had left the room for some time and came back, 'now' the cursor ALSO started to drift with the mouse!!!!!!!!
Oh NOOOO!! This can't be happening. This is not good.
It has NEVER done this before with the mouse plugged in!!!!!!! :blink:

I switched mouses and now it worked just fine as normal. Phew! [I wipe the sweat off my forhead]
That was close. Much too close!!!

I got this computer used.
For as long as I have had this computer the touchpad had always done the "Drifting" and the "Pointing Strafe" effect.
However, occassionally, the computer won't do this.
Like for example, yesterday, I didn't think that if I unplugged the mouse and tried to go to the Device Manager, that I would be able to do it with the touchpad, and that I would be reduced to using the "TAB" key the whole way -- and major and slowly painful way of navigating the computer.
But 'instead', the computer reacted without any adverse effects, though this could have something to do with how long the cursor is unplugged, as when the laptop had its mouse unplugged for several hours, then the effects happen.

But I have not experiemented with what could be causing this or how, since it seems kind of random sometimes, and hard to pinpoint.
Just now, just as you said, I double tested it by unplugging the mouse and going to the Device Manager for a second time.
It works just fine, with no problems to either the "Driting" and "Button Strafing", though I may not have waited long enough for the effects to take place once again.
The mouse was unplugged for several seconds before I attempted to try this both times.

--Captain Kirk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users