Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about converting netbook to a media center

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

So my brother gave me his old netbook. I wanted to turn it into a media center so I could stream movies and music to other tvs in the house. I replaced windows with xbmcbuntu. My question is the acer aspire one only has a vga connector which doesnt include audio. How would I go about connecting the netbook to the tv to have audio and video. Is there a cable that has a vga and audio jack on one end and an hdmi on the other?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,491 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

VGA is an analog signal, HDMI is a digital signal, so you need an HDMI to VGA converter box.  You will need to set the laptop to send audio out through the speaker connection and not the HDMI.  It's a bit of a process to get this to work, but it is doable.  A few things before you start doing this...

Make sure your netbook can handle 1080p content being streamed.  These PC's don't have good processors so you need to make sure, if your library contains this HD media.

HDCP will not be passed through from netbook to television, so you may be limited in what you can send to the TV.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users