Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Useless protection?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Geoffc

Geoffc

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

Years ago I subscribed to Ad-Aware Pro (now v.10.5) and Advanced System Care (now v.6.1.9) because they seemed complementary.  Over the years they've both upgraded, and I'm no longer sure that anti-virus+ and anti-malware+ products can stay out of each other's way, let alone work as a team.  After puzzling over both products' ads for an hour or so, I can't get an answer to that question.

Can anyone suggest

1. whether they are both valuable together, or

2. where a not-too-tech user can learn how to work that out?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

Almost Retired

• Members
  • 9,895 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:07 AM

Hello -

Due to the fact that Advanced System Care contains an Antivirus + Registry Optimiser/Editor in the one program, it has never been a favorite program of mine. I find that these 2 are not suited to be in one program. Plus I do not trust any IObit programs. (Personally only)

(1) Ad-Aware is considered to be the "old school" version of Antivirus these days generally, and has been well overtaken by most other Antivirus programs or Suites, like Kaspersky, Avira, avast!, and ESET, and even the newer Norton versions.

As a rule, I find that a free vresion of the popular Antivirus programs meets the current Ad-Aware versions.

Please read the Pinned items at the top of this section, Although some are just a bit techie or even a bit dated, they contain some of the best information that you can find anywhere. BleepingComputer is not linked to any Brand or Maker, so all items are very objective in their content.

The lists of programs here are updated on a regular basis, so all details and links are quite recent..

I hope that you never allow 2 active Antivirus programs to run at the same time, as this will defeat the purpose of the program to search for infections and to do the job that it is / was designed for. You can run an active Antimalware program along with an Antivirus program in most cases, or even install Antimalware programs to act as Inactive Scanners (cleanup programs) at any time.

(2) Please read a few of the notices in the heading of this forum area to get an idea of what I mean.

Always Uninstall one Antivirus program fully if you decide to change to another brand of Antivirus -

If you wish for more detailed links, please post back and they will always be provided for you.

Regards, from a Western district Victorian -

#3 Geoffc

Geoffc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:28 AM

Many thanks, across Melbourne, Noknojon.  I'll take a day or two to absorb all that, but at first sight I'm inferring from your and other comments elsewhere in Bleep, that both my protection programs are sub-optimal now.  Since I'm subscribing to both, that's motivation for further study.

And don't go picnicking in the Gramps for a while.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

Almost Retired

• Members
  • 9,895 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:00 AM

Hi -

Always a good place to start (by the Boss) and added to by many others -
Antivirus, Antimalware, And Antispyware Resources ..............................
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/405/antivirus-antimalware-and-antispyware-resources/#entry1637

After the big burn here I think the CFA only lists your side now (looked around Hotham yesterday) www.cfa.vic.gov.au

Later -

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,425 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:48 AM

Ad Aware is anti spyware, not anti virus. Along with Spybot it was a popular anti spyware app ten years ago. Both products have fallen behind more recent apps like Malware Bytes and Superantispyware. 

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#7 Pajajn

Pajajn

• Members
  • 350 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

Just to stay clear. Every person and friend ive seen who has problem with their PC's slowness or just other issues have Advanced system care installed...  i actually not agree with people actually saying its making more good than bad if im gonna be honest.

I dont even use any AV. In my oppinion the build in Windows7 firewall works good + router. Malwarebytes i find useful though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users