Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with video effect

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:23 AM

I'm planning on filming a series of videos, but I want them to have a cartoon/animated effect. I have Windows Movie Maker and Photoshop CS3, but I'm happy to download another program if it'll do the effect better. I don't want to pay for any software though and the Adobe trials are only 30 days which wouldn't be long enough.

What is the best way to do this effect?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kingsweeting1

kingsweeting1

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

depends on your amount of patience!
​It's possible to do with Photoshop, I could get in to how to do it, but here's the problem, You have to do it frame by frame. Brilliant amount of control over the final effect, but...a long, long process.
Okay, so We want new software, I'd say adobe after effects are your best way of going. Give it a try and take a look at this video 
may help.
- Danny

#3 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:35 AM

Thanks. I have a fair amount of patience but I don't really want to have to do it frame by frame. Some videos might be kinda long.

I really want to be able to use the programs I have, or free programs without borrowing.

#4 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:43 AM

Your going to have to stick with Photoshop then as your best option. That's the only program I've used in the past for animation too, so I can't really suggest any free ones to use, but I found this list for you of all the free animation programs out there, they all have reviews to view also.
http://animation.about.com/od/referencematerials/a/freesoftware.htm

#5 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

Thanks. Is there any quicker way to do it with Photoshop (even if it doesn't look as good) or is the only option frame by frame?

#6 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

Not that I know of. Just frame by frame.. :smilers: lol Sucks, but works good for just short animations though.

#7 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

Thanks lol. Problem is the videos wouldn't be that short.

I did try a Movie Maker plugin, but I really think you have to have the right kind of video for it to look good with the cartoon effect. I recorded a short video to try the effect and it looked horrible, but the demos on the plugin site looked fine :(

#8 code13

code13

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:47 PM

Sony Vegas Pro

#9 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:33 AM

Sony Vegas Pro

That's far from a free program and I'm sure the trials are only 15 days long. If 30 days for Adobe isn't long enough I don't think half that time is going to work. I know with Adobe programs you can use the features to create the effect and with Movie Maker there's a plugin to download, but how do you get that effect with Sony Vegas?

#10 GB2064

GB2064

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 696 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:39 PM

snOzbOz

Here is a link for a free very powerful video editor, "Lightworks", but I have not used it, so I have no idea if it would work for you.

http://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=57&Itemid=182

But you might have some fun trying it.

#11 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:43 PM

Here is a link for a free very powerful video editor, "Lightworks", but I have not used it, so I have no idea if it would work for you.

http://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=57&Itemid=182

But you might have some fun trying it.

Thanks. I'll give it a try :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users