Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

If I do System Recovery, Will backup files restore current files/settings?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 ramonv

ramonv

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

Mod Edit:  Merged separate topics re same issues/system - Hamluis.

Wife's 64-bit Vista HP laptop, which has been junk ever since we got it a few years ago, is stuck on the latest Microsoft update.  Everytime we try to start the laptop, it goes to the update screen, gets to update #3 of 3, then says "welcome" very quickly, before saying "Windows is now shutting down".  Then, it doesn't shut down.  The screen goes black, briefly, and the cycle starts over.  I've tried starting in Safe Mode (all 3 options), and still get stuck on the update cycle. 

I did a disk check.  Took hours, but didn't help. 

I went to system recovery, and then selected system restore, but it said I had to leave system recovery to start system restore, but didn't explain how to get to system restore w/o going through system recovery.

When I did get a pop-up that asked if I wanted to restore to an earlier date, I clicked "yes", but nothing happened.

At one point, I got somewhere that asked for a password, but she has no idea what the password is.  We tried all her usual passwords.

Now, I do have an external HD which I backed up her laptop with, several months ago, but I have no idea if that will help, or how?  And would she lose anything since that back-up, if we were able to use that?

I can't download anything on her laptop, and can't ever get to the start button.

It worked when she first turned it on this morning, but she has this weather add-on that had failed (again), and she was going to uninstall it.  We couldn't get the install/uninstall part of her control panel to open, and something popped up asking if she wanted to repair the weather thing, so she did, and that was the last that the laptop worked.

Please help!

Thank you!

Edited by hamluis, 01 March 2013 - 12:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ramonv

ramonv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

Update:  Still not working, but I was able to get to the recovery screen, and I am currently backing up to an external HD.  Any way I can use this to get the laptop going again?  Or, if I do system recovery, returning to factory settings, can I then use this backup to recover everything?

I've never had to use a backup for anything...

#3 ramonv

ramonv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

Hi,

Laptop stuck in Windows Update loop, with no apparent way out.

I am backing up to an external HD.

If the laptop allows me to do a system recovery (from the system HD - not from a CD, which I don't have), and that resets everything to the day we got the laptop, can I then use the back-up files, to recover all files (photos, Word files, etc)?

Connecting the external HD to a different pc will not allow me to recover any files, will it?

Thank you.

#4 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 18,531 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

Can you load the Advanced boot options?

When the computer first powers up start tapping F8.

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.  Groucho Marx

#5 ramonv

ramonv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

Well, I'm still backing up right now.  But what after that?  I know that I can't open in any mode, including safe mode.  But there are some things I'm able to access.  Like, I was able to get to the system recovery screen, choose advacnced options, and then select back up...

#6 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 18,531 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

If you can do that, you should be able to choose Startup Repair.  Try that.

#7 ramonv

ramonv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

Tried that.  It goes through the motions, but is unable to repair.

#8 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 18,531 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

One more way to approach this, let's make Recovery disc so that we can try the Startup Repair from there.

Another option is to do a System Restore.

There is on omission in the instructions for this, you will need to enter the BIOS and make your DVD/CD-ROM the first device in the boot order so you can boot from the disc you make.

You can make the download from here.

#9 ramonv

ramonv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

Okay.  Which is better? 

And as far as the recovery disc, how do I know which one to download?  I can't go into control panel, like the instructions say.

Also, the instructions on that page assume that I have a Vista disc already.  I do not. 

I do know that tmy wife's laptop has 64 bit Vista, and probably 32 bit, as well.  I did a back-up, and have loaded all the backed-up files onto my pc (and still have them on my external HD)..

I can see that there is Program Files and Program Files (x86) and most of her stuff is in the x86 file.

As far as System Restore, if you're referring to the function that will restore to a previous date, that won't work.  I've had that pop up and ask me if I'd like to use system restore.  When I click "yes" or "next" or whatever it is, the pop up goes away, but nothing happens.  So that doesn't appear to be an option.

Just to be clear: I cannot get to the start button, control panel, or any of that.

Also, I can't do anything that is going to require a password.  She doesn't know what the administrator password is, because she hasn't used the password since she got the laptop.  She is the only user, and didn't have it set up to require a password to log onto the computer.  We have tried every password we can think of.

Now, I can get to the System Recovery page, which says it will restore the laptop to factory settings.  I assume no disc is necessary for this?

But if I do this, can we then use the back-up files to get everything back to what it was recently?

Thank you very much!

#10 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 18,531 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

What is the make and model of this computer?

If your wife didn't add a password press Enter when it asks for one.

The (X86) means that it is the 32-bit version.

You can download a ISO file which can be burned to a CD for the Vista installation disc.  You can download it here

You can do both of these with your wife's computer and then use the discs on yours.

Edited by dc3, 27 February 2013 - 02:34 PM.

#11 ramonv

ramonv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

It is a HP DV61260SE.   Hmm.  I don't think I've tried just hitting enter.

It's the wife's laptop that is bad, so I assume you mean I can download that file on my pc, and use it on hers, right?

I had a Windows 7 disc, that HP sent for free, but I can't find it. 

So I want to download the recovery disc and the ISO file?  Can't remember the last time I downloaded something to a disc.  Will each thing go on a seperate disc?
I was sure that she had a 64-bit system...

Edited by hamluis, 01 March 2013 - 12:14 PM.

#12 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 18,531 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

All right... I'm getting confused.  This is posted in the Vista forum, so I'm assuming that the computer in question has Vista installed on it.  But now you are mentioning a Windows 7 disk, which is it?

It's the wife's laptop that is bad, so I assume you mean I can download that file on my pc, and use it on hers, right?

Correct.

I just Googled the model of your wife's computer, the specs show that it comes with Vista Home 64-bit version.

#13 ramonv

ramonv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

They sent me a Windows 7 disc, but we never installed it.  Yeah, I just did that, too.  :) (googled the system)
It's been a piece of crap since we got it.  Serious overheating problems, and has always struggled with any and all updates.

I have downloaded the recovery disc for 64-bit system to a disc.  Should I download the other item(s) to a different disc?

Edited by hamluis, 01 March 2013 - 12:19 PM.

#14 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 18,531 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

Yes.

It's home time for me.  I'll get back later.

#15 ramonv

ramonv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

Okay.  Thank you for your help so far.  Much appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users