Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

virus check on ipad

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kjvlv

kjvlv

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

my kids are on their ipads watching videos and doing goodness knows what.   they then send stuff to friends, etc and I am concerned about viruses.  Is there a way to check the ipad for virus like a pc?
thanks all for helping me out

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Bleep Bleep!

• Admin
  • 39,926 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

As long as you are have not jailbroken your iPad, you should not need a virus scan program for it.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 963 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

As long as you are have not jailbroken your iPad, you should not need a virus scan program for it.

And I am not really sure that there is any virus scan program that can effectively scan the whole iOS device...Apple has the whole iOS "sandboxed" enough that it might not be possible.

For example, Lookout on Android does do some virus/malware stuff, but the iOS version does not.

There is VirusBarrior for iOS, but as far as I can tell it does not actually scan the whole device...rather just gives you the option scan a particular file (i.e. an email attachment) on a case by case basis.  Thus, the USER has to decide to scan a particular file (not likely to happen for the original poster's situation...don't imagine the kids will run the scans).

[soapbox] backup = good...no backup = bad[/soapbox]

Please DO NOT PM me for computer help or advice or in response to my reply to your topic/issue. Instead, please post your reply to the forums. This is because there maybe more than just me trying to help you AND it ensures that any solutions to your issue are there in the original topic for others to learn from in the future.

The Bleeping Computer Welcome Guide
Bleeping Computer Forum Rules

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Bleep Bleep!

• Admin
  • 39,926 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:01 AM

That was my impression of VirusBarrier as well. Good maybe for Mail or documents, but otherwise won't scan the entire system.

#5 twentythreemx

twentythreemx

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

since when do ipads get viruses? yikes

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users