Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I find my iPhone Contacts in iTunes? Backing up my iPhone 4S to iTunes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 Khirrkee

Khirrkee

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:36 AM

Hello,

I'm backing up my iPhone 4S to iTunes (and not to iCloud).

I haven'tyet  needed to restore the backup to my existing phone or a new phone.

Is there a way to check in iTunes whether my Contacts are stored there?

Also, occasionally, after a backup, I am unable to locate some names/information in my iPhone Contact list.

Is there a way to prevent this?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 986 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:59 AM

Is it a Windows computer or a Mac?

Also, do you have an iCloud account and have it setup on the iPhone (even if you are NOT using it to backup the iPhone)?

If you have iCloud setup on the iPhone and have it setup to sync contacts, then the contacts will be synced by iTunes and by default will NOT sync through iTunes even through you are backing up the iPhone through iTunes.  If that is the case, you can go to the iCloud site (www.icloud.com) and log into your account and get access to your contacts.

If you do not have iCloud setup, then iTunes MIGHT be syncing your contacts depending on whether that option is checked.  Assuming it is checked, then if it is a Mac, then they will sync with the Address Book application built into the Mac OS.  If is a Windows computer, then I believe it only sync with Outlook if it is installed...I am not sure what happens otherwise.

I believe if iTunes is not syncing the contact, then I believe it might backup the contacts with everything else....but if so, there is not way to specifically get to it other than to restore the backup by way of iTunes...at least that I know of.

[soapbox] backup = good...no backup = bad[/soapbox]

Please DO NOT PM me for computer help or advice or in response to my reply to your topic/issue. Instead, please post your reply to the forums. This is because there maybe more than just me trying to help you AND it ensures that any solutions to your issue are there in the original topic for others to learn from in the future.

The Bleeping Computer Welcome Guide
Bleeping Computer Forum Rules

#3 livy86

livy86

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:26 AM

Hi, the contacts will be synced when you connect the phone to a computer be it Windows or Mac, or whatever contacts manager you are using (Outlook, Gmail). Syncing means the data you have on your phone is the same with the one on the computer, so your missing contacts might be the bad sync, not the backup causing problems.

You can find your backup containing contacts, sms, photos and other data of the iPhone is stored on a default location on your computer. Under OS X, iTunes will store backups in /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup. Under Windows XP, for example, iTunes will store backups in \Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup. Here's a blog with backup locations that should help.

Backing up the phone regularly with iTunes is a good idea to keep from losing data, it will mean all your contacts and data should be there and can be restored in case you need it. If you want to be extra safe, you can make a copy of the backup and store is somewhere safe before any update, as iTunes tends to corrupt backups sometimes.

Edited by livy86, 27 February 2013 - 07:28 AM.

#4 Khirrkee

Khirrkee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

Thanks, everyone.

#5 Khirrkee

Khirrkee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

I'm taking up a new job soon and will have to return my iPhone and laptop. Syncing with iTunes becomes a problem as that's computer-specific.

Thus, after reading what both of you have written and other sources, I've decided to back up and sync my iPhone with iCloud.

When syncing my iPhone Contacts with iCloud, I discovered that I have two Groups in Contacts, a Yahoo Group and an iCloud Group.

When I backup Contacts, only the ones in iCloud Contacts get backed up.

How can I back up the contacts in Yahoo Contacts to iCloud?

Thanks.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 986 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:56 PM

I'm taking up a new job soon and will have to return my iPhone and laptop. Syncing with iTunes becomes a problem as that's computer-specific.

Thus, after reading what both of you have written and other sources, I've decided to back up and sync my iPhone with iCloud.

When syncing my iPhone Contacts with iCloud, I discovered that I have two Groups in Contacts, a Yahoo Group and an iCloud Group.

When I backup Contacts, only the ones in iCloud Contacts get backed up.

How can I back up the contacts in Yahoo Contacts to iCloud?

Thanks.

You might check...there is a very good chance that the Yahoo Contacts are synced with Yahoo.  If so, then they are already "in the cloud".

Please DO NOT PM me for computer help or advice or in response to my reply to your topic/issue. Instead, please post your reply to the forums. This is because there maybe more than just me trying to help you AND it ensures that any solutions to your issue are there in the original topic for others to learn from in the future.

#7 Khirrkee

Khirrkee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:06 AM

Thanks. How do I check whether the Yahoo Contacts are synced with Yahoo?

Pardon my ignorance!

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 986 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:48 PM

Thanks. How do I check whether the Yahoo Contacts are synced with Yahoo?

Pardon my ignorance!

Since I don't use Yahoo contacts (or email), I can't say for sure.  If they are actually "linked" & synced contacts to your Yahoo account, then I would assume logging into your Yahoo account should tell you if they are there.  I would assume if they have been synced with Yahoo, then you will find some "contacts" or "address book" function in your Yahoo account with those contacts in there.

#9 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 986 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:23 AM

FWIW, here is the instructions on how to sync Yahoo Contacts with an iPhone using iOS 5 or later:

http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=content&y=PROD_MAIL_CLASSIC&locale=en_US&id=SLN4922&impressions=true

So, if you have your Yahoo account setup in the iPhone settings, then more than likely the Yahoo Contacts have been synced to your Yahoo account.

#10 3lo2a

3lo2a

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:46 PM

Hi, how could i restore from older backup files which are located as you said \Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup.

I mean i have 4 folders in Backup, so how could i select the one i need and then restore backup from this selected folder?

Thanks for your time.

#11 livy86

livy86

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:48 AM

@3lo2a: Connect your device to the computer and choose "Restore". After entering your iTunes information, there should be an option to choose which backup to restore from (the backups should have dates on them to show you when they were made). 

#12 narins

narins

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:54 AM

Hello,

I'm backing up my iPhone 4S to iTunes (and not to iCloud).

I haven'tyet  needed to restore the backup to my existing phone or a new phone.

Is there a way to check in iTunes whether my Contacts are stored there?

Also, occasionally, after a backup, I am unable to locate some names/information in my iPhone Contact list.

Is there a way to prevent this?

Thanks.

I wouldn't rely on iTunes to keep a backup of my iPhone contacts. Instead manually backup the iphone contacts to your computer in VCF files which you can then easily import back to your new iphone. This thread addresses the issue and provides ways to backup contacts to computer without the need for iTunes.

7162613181_9af625c587.jpg

#13 sujo42

sujo42

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:45 PM

HI I need help too please. My iphone is gone back for repair and they gave me a new replacement one for the duration. I was backing up via iCloud in iTunes and syncing every day. However when I restored from Icloud I only got a few of my contacts. If I go back to older versions of the restore still nothing. I have no other backup of numbers and this is going to happen again when I get my own phone back if i dont work it out. Any ideas what is happening

#14 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 986 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:50 AM

HI I need help too please. My iphone is gone back for repair and they gave me a new replacement one for the duration. I was backing up via iCloud in iTunes and syncing every day. However when I restored from Icloud I only got a few of my contacts. If I go back to older versions of the restore still nothing. I have no other backup of numbers and this is going to happen again when I get my own phone back if i dont work it out. Any ideas what is happening

Which is it…backing up by way of iTunes or iCloud? You cannot do both. It is one or the other.

If you are using iCloud for your backup, are you also using iCloud to sync contacts?

#15 addisonharris426

addisonharris426

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:19 AM

Before a sync or restore, I believe iTunes will create a backup of your phone's contents (unless you manually cancel this backup). The backup will contain the contacts that were on the phone.

You can check if a backup was created by doing the following:

Launch iTunes on your computer, go to iTunes > Preferences > Devices 
See if there is an entry with the date of the restore. 
If a backup exists, you can recover your data with one of two methods:
restore contacts on iPhone; or 
Use a program such as iPhone Data Recovery to extract the Contacts out of the backup file.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users