Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FF 18 vs IE 8 Flash performance....

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Pajajn

Pajajn

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

Just starting my Firefox with bleepingcomputer makes it go up to 202MB ram usage.

Using Twitch stream with 720p on IE 8 using ~10-20 CPU usage and maximum 100MB ram.
The same stream with Firefox goes like this........

Firefox.exe 25CPU usage
Plugin container adds up another 25% cpu usage so more than twice that IE's using
350MB ram or more depending on

Why is it that way seriously? XP 32 by the way and Firefox 18.0.2  and IE 8 default with XP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 16,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

Simply put, Firefox is more resource intensive.

There are tradeoffs though.  Firefox doesn't use DirectX, IE does.  DirectX could allow remote code execution, this makes it a potential security issue.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"  Groucho Marx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users