Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Headphones plugged into back don't work

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lamiroire

Lamiroire

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:21 AM

Hello, I've had a set of headphones for a while now, but my front port for the microphone is broken so I tried to use the rear port. This resulted in me not getting any sound, so I can't even tell if my microphone works in the rear port. I tried a recording, and it seemed to register input.

I know it isn't the actual headset as I can use the headphones and the mic in other computers with no problem.

I also spoke with a friend, they suggested that the rear headphone port thinks they are speakers rather than headphones.

Hopefully somebody can help me with this, so thank you in advance,

Lamiroire

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 5,275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

Some desktop models have both front and back audio connections. They have distinctive colors/symbol for the speakers and headphones and are normally interchange for audio output.

Tekken

#3 Lamiroire

Lamiroire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

I don't mean to sound rude, but that doesn't exactly help me... Is there anything I can do to actually use that back port, or am I going to have to get the front fixed?

Thanks anyway,

Lamiroire

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 5,275 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:22 AM

I was confused with headset/headphones since they are different. The headset usually has one jack for audio out (lime) and the other for audio in (pink). The jack for the 3.5 mm audio out is use for external speakers and headphones and the headset jack.  If the external speakers worked on the lime audio port, then it should also on headphones/headset. The Mic has a different jack out which is usually the pink colored port which is usually also use for the other headset jack.

Tekken

#5 Lamiroire

Lamiroire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:13 AM

I know all of this, but when I plug them into the back, the mic works fine, but i get no sound that I can hear. Does this mean the port on the back can't be used with my headset, or is there a way to make it work?

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 5,275 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:21 AM

AFAIK, both the front and back audio port works the same way with the headphone or headset. You can test the audio out by any music files or VOIP calls. Are there any flags in device manager on the sound device? Check for any BIOS audio feature on/off function.

Can you post the computer brand/model next time?

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program.  To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users