- Optical drive was not working at all, that is, it was not reading any discs or showing up in Explorer.
- I tried basics, including reboot, and different disks to no avail.
- Some forum led me to check on the options under "F12 Boot Options". This opens Aptio Setup Utility, which I believe is also called BIOS by techies.
This is where the mistake occurs.
- Not seeing anything I want to change, I select an option to 'restore defaults', figuring that the factory settings should be fine. Save and exit.
- Computer now fails to boot. Restore fails too. Windows 7 was working fine, so that does not appear to be the issue at all.
- I simply want to fix whatever is wrong with the setup in F12 to get the machine to boot.
- My last full backup of my personal files and such was 2 months ago, so I prefer to not throw in the towel. I want to fix this, get my machine running, and have all my recent files.
THANK YOU in advance for analytical and thoughtful replies. I am eager to try real solutions from those who have specific knowledge about boot setup issues.