Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 panthersfan25

panthersfan25

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

Good Afternoon All,

One of my client pc's motherboard went bad and it is an older motherboard.  I am having an issue finding a replacement, I can only find refurbished ones on eBay, it uses a CPU with a socket 478 connection.  I can't seem to find too many motherboards that still use or have recently used that connection.  My question is if I purchase a new motherboard, CPU and ram, what all will have to be redone for the hard drive to function properly and the OS to work.  I have heard clean installs being the only option, I am wondering what other options are on the table, it is running Windows XP Professional 32-Bit.

Please let me know if you need more pc info.

Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,426 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

HI, What went wrong with the motherboard? If the motherboard can be repaired that is the simplest solution.

When You change the motherboard to a different  Motherboard/CPU/Memory you will in general find that windows Bluescreens and does not run.

You could also find that you have to change the Power Supply, Video card if used, And possibly the Hard Drive. Most new motherboards only support SATA drives for example.

And of course Windows Activation. Even buying a refurbished motherboard, You would want the same make and model to avoid problems.

What Make and Model of computer or Motherboard.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

September 95

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,231 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

You have two options in reality, replace the motherboard, or buy a new system.

You can't find an"aftermarket/retail" motherboard guaranteed to fit the case.  The OS will balk if you try to use it with a new motherboard on any big name OEM system, nature of the beast.

Best option, grab a refurb on Ebay from some big outfit in Hong Kong.  I have grabbed about a half dozen mobos from Hong Kong for ancient Socket 478 systems, and I am at 100% happiness with them.  I usually end up paying around the $50 mark with shipping, customer has a 40-50% markup.

Make absolutely sure the model numbers, as well as revision numbers, on the replacement mobo match your current mobo.

EDIT:  Or replace the caps if they are bad, but still, a refurb is sooooo much easier and quicker.

Edited by dpunisher, 21 February 2013 - 05:49 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 panthersfan25

panthersfan25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

Thanks for the info, the reason I am replacing it is I believe the VGA port that is integrated with the motherboard has failed.  The computer turns on but never displays anything and I do not here the beep from the computer POSTing.  I have thought about simply installing a PCI card and seeing if that will work, but have seen mixed reviews if that will fix the issue.  It is an older MSI motherboard Model # is MSI 865g Neo2-P.  I have found a few refurbished ones on eBay for around $45-50 and they are from Hong Kong.  I wasn't sure if this is my best option or simply get a new one and buy a new CPU, and Ram to go along with it and just try to re-install everything?

Thanks!!

#5 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 17,440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

That motherboard has integrated graphics, if you want to repair this you will need to replace the motherboard.  The good new is that this motherboard has PCI slots, so you can purchase a PCI graphics card.  Newegg has them from $19.99.  Newegg.com - Desktop Graphics Cards, PCI, PCI Video Cards

Please note:  My wife broke her radius in three places at the wrist.  This required surgery where a plate and nine screws were attached to allow this brake to heal properly.  She is recovering now and should make a full recovery over the next six weeks if all goes well.  She is doing well enough now that I don't need to stick quite so close to her and will be able to start getting back to the amount of time I was able to invest previously.

I would like to thank those of you who have expressed your concerns and best wishes for a speedy recovery.  

Sincerely,

Dan

#6 panthersfan25

panthersfan25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

So if I purchase the graphics card and install it, then it should work perfectly fine, just not with the onboard graphics port correct? 

#7 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 17,440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

I don't believe your problem is with the VGA connector.  From what you have described it sounds like the integrated graphics chip has failed.

Please note:  My wife broke her radius in three places at the wrist.  This required surgery where a plate and nine screws were attached to allow this brake to heal properly.  She is recovering now and should make a full recovery over the next six weeks if all goes well.  She is doing well enough now that I don't need to stick quite so close to her and will be able to start getting back to the amount of time I was able to invest previously.

I would like to thank those of you who have expressed your concerns and best wishes for a speedy recovery.  

Sincerely,

Dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users