Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to respond to Rkill results?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jakeskin

jakeskin

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:45 AM

Hi. I am new to the forum and would like to know what to do with my Rkill results. Is it ok to paste the log here? I am using Win 7 Pro 64 bit. 

About one month ago I had a strange experience where I was kicked out of a remote desktop session with the computer. It happened several times in a row. So I ran Microsoft Security Esentials which found 

Exploit:Java/CVE-2012-0507

Exploit:Java/CVE-2012-1723

Exploit:Java/CVE-2013-0422

Trojan:Win32/Sirefef!cfg

Trojan:Win32/Trufip!rts

After that I felt safe again and but for safety sake I changed my logon password.

Today I ran Rkill and apparently I have "Possibly Patched Files" (winlogon.exe, reportew twice in the log) and some "Missing Digital Signatures".

Am I still infected? How should I deal with this? Please help me as I don't know what to do with the Rkill results.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:48 AM

• Please download TDSSKiller from here and save it to your Desktop
  • Doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application, then click on Change parameters

• Check Loaded Modules  and Detect TDLFS file systemDo not check Verify file digital signatures (even though it is checked in the example)
  • If you are asked to reboot because an "Extended Monitoring Driver is required" please click Reboot now

• Click Start Scan and allow the scan process to run

• If threats are detected select Skip for all of them unless I instruct you otherwise
  • Click Continue

• Click Reboot computer
  • Please post the contents of  TDSSKiller.[Version]_[Date]_[Time]_log.txt found in your root directory (typically c:\)in your reply

===================================================

aswMBR

--------------------

• Download aswMBR and save it to your desktop.
  • Please disable your real time protection of any Antivirus, Antispyware or Antimalware programs temporarily. They will interfere and may cause unexpected results.
  • If you need help to disable your protection programs see here and here.
  • Double click the aswMBR.exe file to run it. Please allow when you are asked to download AVAST antivirus engine defs.
  • Wait until the AV update is done, then click on the Scan button to start. The program will launch a scan.

• When done, you will see Scan finished successfully. Please click on Save log and save the file to your desktop.

• Please post the contents of the log in your next reply.

NOTE:  aswMBR will create MBR.dat file on your desktop. This is a copy of your MBR. Do NOT delete it.

ESET Online Scanner

--------------------

I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan  This process may may take several hours, that is normal

• Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  • Click the   button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)

• Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the icon on your desktop.

• Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:

• Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Copy and paste the information in your next reply.   Note:  If no malware was found you will not get a log.
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.

Things I would like to see in your next reply. Please be sure to copy and paste the information rather than send an attachment. :thumbsup2:

• TDSSKiller log
  • aswMBR log
  • ESET results

#3 jakeskin

jakeskin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

Thank you narenxp for the very quick reply. 

I've been trying to upload the results of my scans but are having problems with it. The forum is only saying "saving data" or something similar but nothing more happens. I've tried a number of times and waited a long time but nothing. Is there a limit on how big the posts can be?

Anyway, First two scans (Kapersky TDSSKiller and aswMBR found nothing. ESET however found a number of infections that aparntly Microsoft Security Essentials failed to find. They were cleaned out. 

If you still need the logs maybe we can find some other way to send them to you?

I am however a bit concerned about the "Possibly Patched Files" on winlogon.exe and  "Missing Digital Signatures" from the Rkill results. Is there a way to fix those?

I appreciate your time and help. Thanks!

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

Just post the last few lines of TDSSkiller alone.You can copy,paste the contents of ESET and aswmbr here or

Go to

http://pastebin.com

Paste the logs and post the generated link here

#5 jakeskin

jakeskin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

Great. Thanks!

http://pastebin.com/qM9Uavrw

http://pastebin.com/WFxYWC4E

http://pastebin.com/mSys5S9v

#6 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:32 PM

Malwarebytes

--------------------

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.  If you already have it installed launch the program and update the database.

• Important!! When you save the mbam-setup file, rename it to something random (such as 123abc.exe) before beginning the download.  You can also right click on the link and select Save Link As

Malwarebytes may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.

• Make sure you are connected to the Internet and double-click on the renamed file to install the application.
    For instructions with screenshots, please refer to this Guide.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings except to uncheck any offer for a free Pro trial version
  • Malwarebytes will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • Under the Scanner tab, make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • When finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box, then click the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked and then click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows the database version and your operating system.
  • Exit Malwarebytes when done.

Note: If Malwarebytes encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally will prevent Malwarebytes from removing all the malware.

Farbar's MiniToolBox

--------------------

• Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop
  • Please close any Firefox browsers you may have open
  • Double click the icon to launch the program
  • Make sure the following options are checked:

• Flush DNS
    • Report IE Proxy Settings
    • Reset IE Proxy Settings
    • Report FF Proxy Settings
    • Reset FF Proxy Settings
    • List content of Hosts
    • List IP configuration
    • List Winsock Entries
    • List last 10 Event Viewer log
    • List Installed Programs
    • List Devices
    • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • Click Go and once the scan is completed a Result.txt Notepad document will open on your desktop
  • Please copy and paste the contents in your reply

Farbar's Service Scanner

--------------------

Please download Farbar Service Scanner, save it to your desktop, and run it.

• Make sure the following options are checked:

• Internet Services
    • Windows Firewall
    • System Restore
    • Security Center/Action Center
    • Windows Update
    • Windows Defender
    • Other Services
  • Press "Scan".
  • It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

AdwCleaner by Xplode - Search for Adware

-------------------

• Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.
  • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe, select OK, then Run
  • Click on DELETE
  • A logfile will automatically open after the scan has finished
  • Copy and paste the contents in your reply
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[R1].txt as well

Junkware Removal Tooll by thisisu

-------------------

• Please download Junkware Removal Tool and save it to your desktop.
  • Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. (Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive.)
  • Right-mouse click JRT.exe and select Run as administrator (Windows XP double click the icon)
  • Please allow the program time to run
  • Once completed a Notepad document will open on your desktop
  • Copy and paste the contents in your reply

Rkill

-------------------

Please download Rkill by Grinler from one of the 4 links below (if one of them does not work try another...) and save it to your desktop:

• In order for Rkill to run properly you must disable your anti-malware software.  Please refer to this page if you are not sure how.
  • Double-click on Rkill. (If you are using Windows Vista, please right-click on it and select Run As Administrator)
    • Note:  You may have to run Rkill a few times before it is successful.  You may also have to download Rkill from a different link which will save it as a different file name.
  • A black screen will appear and then disappear. Please do not worry, that is normal. This means that the tool has been successfully executed.
  • An Rkill.log will appear.  Please copy and paste the contents in your reply (file also located at c:\rkill.log)
  • Do not reboot your computer after running Rkill as the malware programs will start again.  If your computer reboots, run Rkill again before continuing on to the next step.
  • If nothing happens or if the tool does not run, please let me know in your next reply.

Autoruns

--------------------

• Please download AutoRuns and save it to your desktop
  • Double click the AutoRuns.zip folder
  • Double click autoruns.exe (not autorunsc.exe), select Run, then Run again and allow the information to populate
  • Select File, Save, Desktop (in the left hand pane), then Save filename as Autoruns.txt and change Save as type to  Text(*.txt).
  • Double click on the text file,copy and paste the contents in your reply

Things I would like to see in your next reply. Please be sure to copy and paste the information rather than send an attachment. :thumbsup2:

• Malwarebytes log
  • MiniToolBox log
  • Farbar's Service Scanner log
  • AdwCleaner log
  • Junkware Removal Tool log
  • Rkill log
  • Autoruns log

#7 jakeskin

jakeskin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:42 AM

For me it seems like everything is cleaned out, right? Is it safe to replace the files that are patched and miss digital signatures? And how do I do that?

#8 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:38 AM

Click on startmenu and type

cmd

Right click on it and select run as administrator and run this command

sfc /scanfile=C:\Windows\System32\user32.dll

You may receive a message that windows has successfully repaired the files.Now re open command prompt and run this command

sfc /scanfile=C:\Windows\System32\winlogon.exe

After receiving similar message,restart the PC,run RKILL again and post the new log

Edited by narenxp, 21 February 2013 - 08:39 AM.

#9 jakeskin

jakeskin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

Rkill 2.4.7 by Lawrence Abrams (Grinler)
Copyright 2008-2013 BleepingComputer.com
More Information about Rkill can be found at this link:

Program started at: 02/21/2013 04:15:46 PM in x64 mode.
Windows Version: Windows 7 Enterprise 

Checking for Windows services to stop:

* No malware services found to stop.

Checking for processes to terminate:

* No malware processes found to kill.

Checking Registry for malware related settings:

* No issues found in the Registry.

Resetting .EXE, .COM, & .BAT associations in the Windows Registry.

Performing miscellaneous checks:

* No issues found.

Checking Windows Service Integrity: 

* No issues found.

Searching for Missing Digital Signatures: 

* No issues found.

Checking HOSTS File: 

* No issues found.

Program finished at: 02/21/2013 04:16:06 PM
Execution time: 0 hours(s), 0 minute(s), and 19 seconds(s)

Thank you narenxp so much! The help you have given was exellent and I have learned a lot. My computer feels safe again. :D

#10 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

That looks good

Remove temporary and junk files

Download

TFC

Launch it,it will close all running programs

click on START,it should ask for reboot.If TFC locks up the system,run it in safemode

Create a new restore point

Follow this guide to turn off and turn on your restore points

XP- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405

Vista & windows 7- http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Turn-System-Restore-on-or-off

Turn off your system restore-It deletes old infected restore points

Turn on system restore and create a new restore point

Update JAVA and Flash player

Uninstall old version of java from control panel-Add or remove programs.Download the latest version from here

http://java.com/en/

Update your flash player

Antivirus recommendations

Update your antivirus frequently.Two free antivirus that i would suggest are

Microsoft security essentials or Avast.You can select either one of them.

If you have a paid one,make sure to update it frequently.Do not use multiple security softwares.

Informative guides that could prevent you from being infected again

How did I get infected?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic2520.html

Best Practices for Safe Computing - Prevention of Malware Infection

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic407147.html

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/keep-your-computer-safe-online/

Safe surfing :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users