Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ISP advertised speed vs real world as charted by FCC

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 1,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:23 PM

Further to my earlier post, and after a number of e-mails and telephone calls, Sky finally agreed that there was probably a line fault and they would get an engineer out to check the line.

He arrived the following morning and after a bit of too-ing and fro-ing around the house said there appeared to be a fault about 500m away, ie in the cabinet. It turns out the cabling from the house to the cabinet is copper, and from the cabinet to the exchange is aluminium - a hairline crack in the aluminium wire. I now have a silent - non-crackling - telephone and my download speed is just over the top end of the range i was quoted as likely when I took up their service.

Happy with what I have now, annoyed that I had to bang on the drum for two years to get a fault fixed.

Chris Cosgrove

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 1,004 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:42 AM

This is what I get from LAN with same ISP.
2825248394.png
And with Wifi.
2824433613.png

Too much different? Maybe because router is old.

It is possible that your WiFi is using 802.11b. If it is not, then your might be reaching the limits of the WiFi range (WiFi speeds will drop are you get a weaker signal).

If it is not either of those two, then it is something more "weird".
[soapbox] backup = good...no backup = bad[/soapbox]

Please DO NOT PM me for computer help or advice or in response to my reply to your topic/issue. Instead, please post your reply to the forums. This is because there maybe more than just me trying to help you AND it ensures that any solutions to your issue are there in the original topic for others to learn from in the future.

The Bleeping Computer Welcome Guide
Bleeping Computer Forum Rules

#18 Sirawit

Sirawit

Batch,VB,Lua,C,...

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 2,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:45 AM

I think this router use 802.11g and the router is just 5 or less meters from me.

Also, we have to replug it about 10 times per day just to make it work fro about 1 hour.

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

#19 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 1,004 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:28 AM

I think this router use 802.11g and the router is just 5 or less meters from me.
Also, we have to replug it about 10 times per day just to make it work fro about 1 hour.

If it is an 802.11g router, then unless there is some 802.11b device forcing it to be slower, it could be a problem with the router or maybe some interference.

I am also assuming that the computer you are using is using an 802.11g or "newer" WiFi adapter.
[soapbox] backup = good...no backup = bad[/soapbox]

Please DO NOT PM me for computer help or advice or in response to my reply to your topic/issue. Instead, please post your reply to the forums. This is because there maybe more than just me trying to help you AND it ensures that any solutions to your issue are there in the original topic for others to learn from in the future.

The Bleeping Computer Welcome Guide
Bleeping Computer Forum Rules

#20 Sirawit

Sirawit

Batch,VB,Lua,C,...

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 2,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:31 AM

All devices that trying to connect have this problems, computer, phone, iPad, etc. And I don't think there are any 802.11b devices.

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

#21 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 599 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:42 AM

Uverse is atrocious. I'm promised 1.5mb/s down 2mb/s up (or is it the other way around) and I'm currently getting, while hard wired in Ethernet, 200kbp/s down 78kbp/s up.

Have a question, or just wanna chat? Send me a message. Or add me as a friend.

#22 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 1,758 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:05 PM

@Zestypanda #21

That is a atrocious !  Are you getting any crackling or fuzzing on your phone line as well ?  This was the cause of my problems - a faulty connection at the local cabinet. The only problem is it can take a long time to convince your ISP there is a problem. And why should you accept it ?  If you went into your local service station for a gallon of gas you wouldn't be happy if they 'Sorry mate, here's a pint for the price of a gallon, and that's all you're getting.'.

Chris Cosgrove

#23 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 599 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:15 PM

Yeah, sometimes the line is crummy

Have a question, or just wanna chat? Send me a message. Or add me as a friend.

#24 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:47 PM

HI,Here's a silly question for the day.

Would COMCAST INTERNET be considered a ISP,thanks

#25 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

Yes, Xfinity = Comcast is an ISP.

#26 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 552 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:51 PM

HI, FlannelBack that's what i thought i had sent post to COMCAST forum and asked about their ISP  and the person that answered did not know what ISP stood for.

#27 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Topic Starter

• Site Admin
  • 28,259 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:32 PM

I know it's been answered. But here is a list that I'm sure is not complete as I know of a few Mom and Pop local ISP's that deal in dialup mostly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Internet_service_providers_of_the_United_States

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

raybcuserbar.jpg

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#28 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:53 PM

I have Verizon FIOS with 35/35 speed.  The last time I checked at Speedtest.net  the speeds were about the same as advertised. 

I think Verizon has a 50/50 service available in my area but I don't need that speed for the extra cost.

3125465606.png

Edited by Scoop8, 25 November 2013 - 06:58 PM.

#29 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:42 PM

Here is my Verizon FIOS Business 5 Statics for 144 85/45 plan.

3132219149.png

Verizon FIOS has 500Meg Down and 100Meg Up in my area. Business price is 384 a month.

Edited by cryptodan, 28 November 2013 - 08:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users