Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ISP advertised speed vs real world as charted by FCC

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 27,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

Quote below from BGR article dated Feb 18, 2013 by Zach Epstein Click Here for full article with graphs.

The Federal Communications Commission constantly monitors broadband service providers in the United States and the commission recently updated its report for the month of February. One part of the FCCs study that always draws particular interest is the section that shows how closely ISPs come to providing customers with data speeds that match advertised speeds, and its latest report analyzes data collected in September 2012. Unfortunately for U.S. broadband subscribers, ISPs performance in September strayed a bit further from advertised speeds compared to a similar study from the FCC that analyzed July data.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown

Posted Image

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 T1000

T1000

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:21 AM

I have Verizon Fios and it is the bomb !  I always got close to DL speeds but it seems the upload speeds are a bit slower.. I just upgraded with a triple play.. I went from 20/5 to a blazing 50/25 Mbps and this is what I'm testing at... I'm getting fairly consistent results.. The upload speeds vary a bit though from 17-32 Mbps... Most of the time it is around 18-21Mbps.. The Fios TV is awesome as well. I just got this package.. And I had comcast for the cable TV before, no comparison in picture quality IMHO..

2530942330.png

Edited by T1000, 24 February 2013 - 07:59 AM.

1.) HP Pavilion DV 9230us, 17" Laptop, Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32-Bit , Intel Dual Core T5500 1.66 GHz , 100GB Dual HD, 200 GB Total HDD, 2 GB Ram DDR2, WD 1TB external HDD, My Book Essential.

2.) Dell Inspiron 1764 17" Laptop, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit, Intel Dual Core i5 2.53 GHz w/Turbo Boost Technology, (3MB cache) Media Graphics Accelerator, 500 GB HDD, 4 GB Ram DDR3, Western Digital 1TB external HDD, My Book Essential.

#3 aerofly0610

aerofly0610

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:17 PM

I used to work for a mom and pop ISP.  They intentionally over provisioned DSL profiles to guarantee as advertised speeds.   Not so sure the big ISPs do this....

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 1,555 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:09 PM

Hi Animal,

I live in the UK and it is the same here. OfCom ( = FCC ) and the Advertising Standards Agency are continually banging the drum about ISPs advertising connection speeds of 'Upto' and missing them by a mile. Even when you are considering moving to ISP 2 from ISP 1 and they do a line test their estimates tend to be on the optimistic side.

I switched from TalkTalk to Sky last summer mainly because TalkTalk's connection performance had fallen to appalling. They admitted this, but failed to do anything about it. Sky is better, not brilliant, but better and, so far, more consistent. I understand that in the next three months or so, we are going to be getting 'fibre to the cabinet' which should improve things again.

Regards,

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Agglomerate

Agglomerate

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

The 'upto' speeds are being clamped down on, hopefully Ofcom will put an end to them alltogether soon enough.

-Agglomerate

#6 Mr Gibberish

Mr Gibberish

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:37 PM

2530942330.png

I did not know such things were possible! mine is 1.5 mbs download when it works, and 0.5mbs upload. 

Signature.

#7 ebouge

ebouge

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:54 AM

Hi guys,

I did not know either that such thing was possible.

Is that for private internet access or corporate?

2530942330.png

Here in Toulouse, France, I only get such bandwidth from corporate network. From home it is more like you Mr Gibberish!

2734477458.png

Cheers

Eric

Edited by ebouge, 27 May 2013 - 07:55 AM.

#8 Rana125

Rana125

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:53 PM

I guess companies are all about the profit and competitor bashing...  :rolleyes:

I am definitely looking into FIOS though. I like those speeds. How is their customer service?

Edited by Rana125, 27 May 2013 - 10:55 PM.

#9 hispaladin

hispaladin

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:00 PM

ok unrelated poll: how many people stared at Mr. Gibberish's avatar to see if it would do something cool.  Then when you finally looked away thought you just missed something so you stared again?

(I promise not to hijack any more threads like this but I couldn't resist)

#10 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 986 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:05 PM

Hi guys,

I did not know either that such thing was possible.

Is that for private internet access or corporate?

2530942330.png

Here in Toulouse, France, I only get such bandwidth from corporate network. From home it is more like you Mr Gibberish!

2734477458.png

Cheers
Eric

Verizon FiOS is a residential service (I suppose businesses could get it too). It is a fiber connection and you can get some blazing speeds.

I will note that you can also get fairly impressive speeds with many cable modem connections.

I am able to get a little over 35 Mbps down and a little over 5 Mbps up with my cable modem connection through Comcast. I believe that I can pay more to get even more throughput. There is a second cable company in the area that does offer faster connections.
[soapbox] backup = good...no backup = bad[/soapbox]

Please DO NOT PM me for computer help or advice or in response to my reply to your topic/issue. Instead, please post your reply to the forums. This is because there maybe more than just me trying to help you AND it ensures that any solutions to your issue are there in the original topic for others to learn from in the future.

The Bleeping Computer Welcome Guide
Bleeping Computer Forum Rules

#11 RecklessX

RecklessX

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:19 PM

I have an 80/30 Fiber line.

The down speed is always near range. Only hope they can fix the upload soon

2757026626.png

#12 Sirawit

Sirawit

Batch,VB,Lua,C,...

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:41 PM

My wireless conection is terrible but I don't know why LAN is very different.

www.speedtest.net/my-result/2824433613

EDIT:I don't know why picture not show up.

Edited by Sirawit, 08 July 2013 - 08:47 PM.

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

Proud creator of HiddenToggle and Error Message Generator(Live on Softpedia!).
Proud creator of TexturePack Installer, LogoQuiz PC(Unable to publish.).

#13 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 296 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:48 AM

2824433613.png

Is this the speedtest result you were trying to post Sirawit?

#14 Sirawit

Sirawit

Batch,VB,Lua,C,...

• 1,951 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:58 AM

2824433613.png

Is this the speedtest result you were trying to post Sirawit?

Yes Thank you FlannelBack! :)

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#15 Sirawit

Sirawit

Batch,VB,Lua,C,...

• 1,951 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:54 AM

This is what I get from LAN with same ISP.

2825248394.png

And with Wifi.

2824433613.png

Too much different? Maybe because router is old.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users