Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC shuts down loading windows.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 mrabid51

mrabid51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:56 AM

I did a start-up in Safe Mode.  After initial fail, it went to a screen where I could choose Launch startup repair (recommended)  or start normally.  I chose Launch startup repair and after getting a blue screen where it couldn't load the HIVE file as in post #8, it gave me a screen for System Recovery Options where I could choose Startup Repair, System Restore, Windows Complete PC Restore, Windows Memory diagnostic Tool, Command Prompt or Recovery Manager.  I chose System Restore(Restore Windows to an earlier point in time) and Restart.  It just looped around to the screen that said start up failed and gave me the option of launch start up repair or start normally.  When I did my recovery as stated in post #1, I did a reformat and restore to original factory install so wouldn't all earlier good configurations be wiped out?  SeaTools gives the option of erasing the entire disk.  Would that be a good idea to try? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Malware Study Hall Sophomore
  • 19,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

The HP Compaq Presario SR5710F PC driver recovery system will restore all drivers and clean out any old conflicting ones. The HP Compaq Presario SR5710F PC data recovery system will allow the system to boot off of the Presario SR5710F disc and recover any data or files.

This is not going to restore your computer to the way it came out of the box.  You can use the recovery disk to recover the data which is on the hdd, this should not format, reformat, or wipe the drive.

If you want to set this back to the way it came out of the box there is a partition on the hdd which can be used for that purpose.  The link below will take you to a wesite which has instructions for this.

Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows Vista) Compaq Presario SR5710F Desktop PC | HP® Support

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.  Groucho Marx

#18 mrabid51

mrabid51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:42 PM

The reason I asked about wiping the hdd is because I have been through all the steps you have suggested and the PC is still shutting off as it attempts to complete the setup of Windows.  Tests of the hdd have not shown any problems.  Loading from the recovery disks reformats the Windows partition on the hard disk drive and restores the original content.  I have been through this process a few times and it gets to just about completing the setup of windows before it shuts down.  When I attempted to do a System Restore (Restore Windows to an earlier point in time) after I had run the Recovery Disks, I got a message that there weren't any earlier points so I assumed running the recovery disks wiped them out. 

#19 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Malware Study Hall Sophomore
  • 19,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:03 AM

Loading from the recovery disks reformats the Windows partition on the hard disk drive and restores the original content

"The HP Compaq Presario SR5710F PC driver recovery system will restore all drivers and clean out any old conflicting ones."

This is referring to the recovery disk, it is intended to restore drivers.  It does not format the hdd or a partition on it.

There is a partition on your hdd which is intended to be used to restore your copy of Windows to the condition it came out of the box.

I posted this all in my last  post along with a link which will take you to instructions for using the restore partition.

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.  Groucho Marx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users