Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

logon process initialization failure

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cisguy

cisguy

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

I am attempting to restore a friends working laptop, specs are as follows:

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC (Laptop)
CPU: Intel Core Due T6500 2.1 GHz
4G Ram
Vista (unknown if sp are installed)

When the pc boots (normal, safe mode, command prompt) it loads past the green bar loading screen, then screen goes black and I receive error box that states "logon process initialization failure" "view log". Unable to view log due to the inability to login through various attempts. I have tried:

F8 to repair windows, run startup recovery...repaired errors still unable to login.

From same section, opened command prompt and performed chkdsk c: /r

results:

0 kb in bad sectors
4096 kb occupied by the log files

Failed to transfew logged messages to the event log with status 50.
F8 boot in safe mood, safe mood with networking, safe mode command prompt, Last known good configuration, all receive error box.

I am curious to know is there a fix for this or is the fix to attempt to reinstall or go to a restore point? I found another forum that gave instructions to use a Live Ubuntu cd to save the data. Idk what kind or how much data is on the laptop or if there are any restore points set at all. Any and all help and advice is much appreciated, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,670 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

FWIW:

http://www.gfisk.com/windows-vista-logon-screen-of-death/

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-system/logon-process-initialization-failure/f98c6986-4ce5-44fd-a9ef-99b9c1fa2e36

Louis

#3 cisguy

cisguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

I had been to both of those links actually, I had performed the startup repair already (in op) problems were found and repaired, system restarted and still receive LSOD. When I run startup repair now, it says there is nothing wrong.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,670 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

Since I'm not a Vista-user (XP & Win 7), you probably ought to wait for some input from a member who is more acquainted with quirks of the O/S.

Although Vista may seem analogous to Win 7 to me...I suspect that the Win 7 bootloader may be an updated version.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users