Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Disks

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 klausfunk

klausfunk

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:54 AM

Hello.

I need to use an external HDD to record and edit audio. So it needs to be 3-4TB.

What I need to know is will it be fast enough?

I think it needs to be USB 3.0 and 7200rpm but I am not sure.
Most external drives seem to be 5400rpm.

Can anyone help and recommend a suitable such drive £100-£150?

Thanks

Also - I generally only record 2 tracks at once max 24bit/44.1khz and playback no more than 16.

Edited by klausfunk, 10 February 2013 - 05:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 40,795 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

What software are you using?

What does the software developer list as required hardware?

Louis

#3 klausfunk

klausfunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

"A 4 GB hard drive is the minimum size required to operate Cubase 5 on a Windows or Mac computer. The more storage space on the hard drive, the more data can be recorded when playing, recording and producing music."

A bit vague really. I really just want to know if a USB 3.0 drive 5400/7200 can realistically compete with a internal. And if not, how much difference are we looking at?

Edited by klausfunk, 10 February 2013 - 06:22 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 40,795 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

FWIW:  http://homerecording.com/bbs/general-discussions/digital-recording-computers/recording-audio-files-external-hard-drive-333614/

You might gain more insight/opinions by p-osting your questions at http://www.cubase.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=944894&sid=1907d5c58902e73945f36de8e55f51f6 but...I really don't think that it makes any difference where the projects are stored.

The statements about transfer rates possibly impacting the projects or process of recording...seem to be made by those with misguided perception, IMO.

Seems to me that you are treating the recording of audio...in a manner that some treat the recording/editing of video.  My experience is that the video requirements are more stringent, due to the attempted synchronization of audio and video...while recording/editing audio alone is much simpler.  But I'm just a novice who plays with these things :) on a limited, small scale.

Louis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users