Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavilion dv9500 will only boot up if dvd is in drive

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 17,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

What shows in the CMOS setup utiliy for the hdd with the operating system?

Please note:  My wife broke her radius in three places at the wrist.  This required surgery where a plate and nine screws were attached to allow this brake to heal properly.  She is recovering now and should make a full recovery over the next six weeks if all goes well.  She is doing well enough now that I don't need to stick quite so close to her and will be able to start getting back to the amount of time I was able to invest previously.

I would like to thank those of you who have expressed your concerns and best wishes for a speedy recovery.  

Sincerely,

Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 pongo123

pongo123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

what?how to i check that.

is it possible that the c drive is no good?

Edited by pongo123, 10 February 2013 - 03:34 PM.

#18 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 17,406 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

is it possible that the c drive is no good?

That is what we are trying to determine.

I have a life outside of these forums, and it is requiring that I leave for now.

Please note:  My wife broke her radius in three places at the wrist.  This required surgery where a plate and nine screws were attached to allow this brake to heal properly.  She is recovering now and should make a full recovery over the next six weeks if all goes well.  She is doing well enough now that I don't need to stick quite so close to her and will be able to start getting back to the amount of time I was able to invest previously.

I would like to thank those of you who have expressed your concerns and best wishes for a speedy recovery.  

Sincerely,

Dan

#19 pongo123

pongo123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

ok all wait...lol

#20 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 17,406 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

I'm a newlyweb who's wife has explained that I either play her or trade her, she will win every time hands down.thumbup2.gif

Yes, I am concerned about the state of your hdd.  I would like to have you find out who the manucturer is of your hdd and post it here.  I will find their website and provide you with a link which will take you to a location where there will be instructions and a download which you will burn to a CD to make a bootable disk.  To find out who the manufacturer is look at the video here... Steps for Removing and Replacing the Hard Drive HP Pavilion dv9500 CTO Notebook PC | HP® Support

Sincerely,

Dan

#21 pongo123

pongo123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

here is a everest report

and a pic of disk managment.

here is a everest report

i need to reformat the drive but not sure how.

#22 pongo123

pongo123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

Attached File  Report.txt   367.48KB   4 downloadshere is a everest report

[ Physical Drives ] 

[ Drive #1 - WDC WD1200BEVS-60UST0 (111 GB) ]

#1 (Active)      NTFS             C: (Drive 2)                                    1 MB   114477 MB

[ Drive #2 - Generic Flash Disk (7800 MB) ]

#1 (Active)      FAT32            E:                                              0 MB     7799 MB

[ Optical Drives  

[ D:\  MATbleepA DVD-RAM UJ-861H ATA Device ]

Attached Files

#23 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 17,406 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

WD Support / Downloads / SATA & SAS / WD Blue / SE / SE16 (SATA II)

Just follow the instructions and you should be fine, if you have any questions let us know.

Do you know how to change the boot order in the BIOS?

Sincerely,

Dan

#24 pongo123

pongo123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

yes i know how to change the boot order,thanks all give it a try.

which test should i do

• SELECT DRIVE - Always choose this option first, as it determines which drive you will be working on.
    • QUICK TEST - This option tests your drive quickly for any major physical problems. (Please note: Although this option is safe and does not alter the data on your hard drive, Western Digital recommends that you have a current backup of your data).
    • EXTENDED TEST - This option checks your drive thoroughly and it can repair any correctable errors. (Please note: Although this option is safe and does not alter the data on your hard drive, some data loss may occur, depending on the errors found and the errors corrected. Western Digital recommends that you have a current backup of your data).
    • WRITE ZEROS TO DRIVE - The Write Zeros option, wipes all data off your drive. This option used when your data is no longer usable or recoverable. If you no longer need any data from your drive and would like to start over, run this option to set your drive to an as new condition. NOTE: Please make sure that you have selected the correct drive to perform this function on as once ran, no data will be recoverable.
    • VIEW TEST RESULTS - You can see the results of the test you just performed
    • PRINT TEST RESULTS - Test results can be printed with this option. USB printers are not supported
    • LOG FILE OPEN/CLOSE - You can access the log file which is generated automatically
    • ENTER AND PRINT RMA INFORMATION - Information pertaining to each drive tested can be customized and printed with this option.
    • HELP - Brief descriptions of each option in addition to explanations of error codes are available in this option.
    • QUIT - Reboot your system once you have completed the selected tasks
  1. Select the task you wish to perform.

Edited by pongo123, 11 February 2013 - 02:25 PM.

#25 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 17,406 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

OK.

Sincerely,

Dan

#26 pongo123

pongo123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

im not sure what to do here.

At DOS prompt type dlgdiag5.exe to run the program???

and at start up it,s not giving me the option to boot from the dvd, i CReated a bootable iso with  magic iso.

Edited by pongo123, 11 February 2013 - 04:20 PM.

#27 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 17,406 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

Did you change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device?

If you have and the disk was burned correctly  put it in the optical drive and restart the computer and it should run.

Sincerely,

Dan

#28 pongo123

pongo123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

ok i made a bootable iso then burned it to dvd but all i get is a flashing line in the top cornor when the pc boots up.

Edited by pongo123, 12 February 2013 - 06:48 PM.

#29 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 17,406 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

Did you to go into the BIOS and make the DVD/CD-ROM the first device in the boot order?

Sincerely,

Dan

#30 pongo123

pongo123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

yes i did.all try again.

same thing just a flashing line.

Edited by pongo123, 12 February 2013 - 08:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users