Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can a tablet pc play a movie from an external hard drive ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 evergreen1

evergreen1

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

is it possible to play a movie which is stored on an external computer hard drive if it is connected through its USB? suppose the tablet pc has only 1GB of RAM and  1.2 MHz speed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 25,867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

Lots of questions here, sorry. What version of Android are you running? Can you navigate to the specific movie file with a file explorer from the tablet? Does the media player you have on your tablet support the file type of the movie? What filesystem is the external drive using? Android can only use FAT FAT16 and FAT32. So thats probably one of the first things to check.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown

Posted Image

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

At the moment I've only seen players that will work via SD cards, internal and/or external, or using WiFi.

I only have a phone for the moment so I can't speak for a tablet but whenever I connect my phone via USB I'm only able to connect one way and see the storge space on the phone. I'm not able to see any shares or folders on the computer. (Samba or something would need to be setup for that I'm sure.)

You can look around and see if apps like iMediaShare, BubbleUPnP, aVia Media Player, MediaHouse/MediaServer, or the like can do what you want.

Regards,

Zen

#4 ChibiSUN

ChibiSUN

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:48 AM

There are 3 requirements.

1)  The tablet must have USB On The Go support, meaning like a computer you can plug a USB storage device in it and it will recognize it, send power to the USB. USB Host is an alternative name for this feature

2) The Hard Drive must have an alternative power source, the tablet won't be enough to power it via USB

3) Only certain file systems are accepted, FAT32 works, depending on the ROM and Kernel of your device, NTFS and exFAT might work too, but only with some devices (it's a software thing so you might find the right kernel and flash it to your device to enable exFAT and NTFS capabilities)

I think the android version should be at least 3.0 too, I'm not sure about this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users