Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SATA HDD auto Disconnect?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Houmaboss

Houmaboss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

Whichever drive is "ticking" is failing rapidly.

Only fix = New hard drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:57 AM

Only fix = New hard drive?

If you are sure that the hard drive is ticking and not a fan, then yes, new hard drive. 

Regards,
Brooks

#18 Houmaboss

Houmaboss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

Hey again Artrooks, so let's say the harddrive is actually the problem. What would be the best way to backup my stuff from it? I'm scared that the Harddrive will "disconnect" itself during the process of me backing up files corrupting them. I also feel like it takes a long time in order for me to copy or delete files from it. Is there any more "viable" way of going through with this? Thanks. Much appreciated.

Update#1: Little side note... could the cable be the issue? If it's a damaged cable, could it be causing it to seem like the harddrive is faulty?

Update#2: So another thing.. haha, cant get all my ideas down at one time, bad I know, sorry. But about half an hour ago, i was trying to mess around on my E:\ (storage) Drive, and my entire computer froze and crashed. My entire screen went weird, glitchy looking.. I Found it odd and wanted to run it by you experts.

Update#3: I decided to record the sound that my hard drive is making,  i had to edit the hell out of this file making it super short due to the restrictions of how big the size can be, so I'm sorry if it's brief but hopefully it'll give u an example. It does this twice within a 1:30 min time frame. I wish i can upload the entire thing.

please note that the original sound/video is about 2mins long and the first noise is made at around 34 seconds and the second is around 1:41

Attached File  Harddrive sound Edited.wav   482.6KB   2 downloads

Update#4: I'm going to be posting a youtube link to the full video, yes you aren't supposed to be seeing much. Just wait for the noise. It comes around 0:30 and 1:30. Thanks again for all the help and support guys smile.png  

Update#5: Possibly the last update... It seems that the only way to proceed would be to back up my files , get a new hard drive and smash this one because its worthless. If you have any ideas or suggestions post them, maybe i'll see them before i do any of the following Haha. Last, I want to thank you guys once more because i don't feel I thanked you enough. So Thank you for putting up with my craziness and questions and taking the time to help me. You guys are awesome smile.png.

Edited by Houmaboss, 12 February 2013 - 08:33 PM.

#19 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

Hello,

Update#1: Little side note... could the cable be the issue? If it's a damaged cable, could it be causing it to seem like the harddrive is faulty?

If you haven't already, follow the procedure in my post 13.  After reseating the SATA data and power cables on Drive E:, try moving the data cable onto a different motherboard SATA port.  That would  rule out loose cable connections and a failing motherboard port.   The drive "disconnection problem"  is either a cabling problem, a failing motherboard SATA port, or electro-mechanical failure of the drive.

Earlier on, I was focusing on your system hard drive C, but Drive E:'s SMART data is not great:

Drive E:
05 Reallocated Sectors Count: 100 (100) Data 0000000001
07 Seek Error Rate: 070 (060) Data 0007417ABF
C6 Uncorrectable Sector Count: 100 (100) Data 000000007B <=== 123
C7 UltraDMA CRC Error Count: 200 (001) Data 000006A4EA <== 435434

UltraDMA CRC Error Count::  this is frequently the result of a cabling problem but can also point to potential electromechanical problems. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

No suggestions on back-up; just go slow, a little at a time.  I'm hoping that reseating the SATA cables and moving to a different motherboard SATA port might improve data transfer reliability during back-up.

But about half an hour ago, i was trying to mess around on my E:\ (storage) Drive, and my entire computer froze and crashed.

Not a good idea to "mess around" with the drive while the power is on.

It seems that the only way to proceed would be to back up my files , get a new hard drive and smash this one

Your system drive, C:, is in the process of failing.  It also has far too little free space for optimal hard drive function.  I'm sure this is contributing to poor system performance.  The SATA Drive has many issues of it's own.

Bottom line, If reliability is important to you, my suggestion would be to replace both drives once the data has been backed up.  

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users