Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SATA HDD auto Disconnect?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Houmaboss

Houmaboss

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

Hello! I was on the live chat for quite some time hoping for some help, but unfortionatly people were busy :P So I really need help with my issue and was hoping if anyone could help me resolve it. I do not know much about hardware, it is my weakpoint and this is why i turn to you experts! Any questions are welcomed and I will do my best to help support you with information. If you do need to ask me something, please try and go in detail on how I can get the answer if it requires me some steps that you think i cannot follow. Other than that onto my issue!!!!!

Hey guys! back with another problem... My computer seems to like to disconnect my Sata harddrive whenever it wants to, this results in corrupting my harddrive having me to run chkdsk every time i wana run my computer again. Anyone know what might be causing this? I don't think its the cable, could it be a setting on Windows 7 that's causing it to sleep or something? Thnx in advance, help is much appreciated.. oh and i already tried plugging it into a different port. I can get it to reconnect VIA device manager --> check for hardware changes. Device manager gives it (The SATA harddrive) the name ST3750330AS ATA Device, could it be a driver issue? My mother baor is a M4A88T-M by Asus. Also, Boot up on an IDE and my Sata ( the one cuasing me problems) stores most of my games/files/backups etc.  im guessing its my mobo but idk what the issue is tbqh. Somewthing with the controller? 
Also 1 mini question, can i disconnect my sata cable / harddrive as it is in my computer like when it "Dc"s itself, can i unplug it as my computer runs and check stuff, and then maybe replug it in afterwards, or would it be better to turn off my PC then do all that sorts.
Thanks again guys!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Houmaboss

Houmaboss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:09 AM

Bump

#3 Houmaboss

Houmaboss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:27 AM

Recently did a memory check, nothing came up. Also ran dskchk but that doesn't eliminate the problem. The drive likes to do disconnect itself causing it to corrupt again, any response would be great help. Thanks all.

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:28 AM

Hello Houmaboss,

Let's gather some more information.

1.)  To help us get a better look at your computer's hardware, please download and install Speccy by Piriform. (mirror site)

• Run Speccy and from the top menu, select File --> Publish Snapshot.  Click "Yes" to proceed.
  • Click, Copy to Clipboard and  paste this address into your next post.

2.)  Please download MiniToolBox by farbar, save it to your Desktop, and run it.

Check the following checkboxes:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices
    • Only Problems
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • List Minidump Files
  • List Restore Points

Then click Go.

• Copy the result (Result.txt) by clicking Edit from top menu -> Select all, then Edit -> Copy.
  • Please Paste (Ctrl + V) the contents of this file into your next post.

3.)  Using Event Viewer please post the most recent Check Disk results:

• In the search box type "Event" and click on "Event Viewer" in top column.
  • Click on "Windows Logs" -->"Application."  
  • Click the "Source" tab ( top, right) to alphabetize that column.
  • Arrow down to "Wininit." It will be an Event ID: 1001.
  • Select the most recent Check Disk report.  
  • Double click on it and select the "Copy" button. This will copy the report to the clipboard.
  • Please paste this report into your next post.

Regards,
Brooks

#5 Houmaboss

Houmaboss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

Hello Artrooks! Thanks for your reply, here's the information you require,

1) Speccy Snapshot:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/NX1MrYyk47lpWQtJbGW2joH

2) MiniToolBox:

Spoiler

3) Event Viewer Check Disk:

This is my E:\ Drive the one that is faulty:

Spoiler

This is my C:\ Drive, my windows drive. I recently did a disk check on both of them so i figured i'd paste this one too:
Spoiler

I appreciate the time you are taking to help me out :]

Edited by Houmaboss, 10 February 2013 - 10:07 AM.

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

Hello,

Drive C:
From Speccy Snapshot:

Hard Drives
Maxtor 6E040L0 ATA Device
Manufacturer: Maxtor
Partition ID: Disk #0, Partition #1
Disk Letter: C:
S.M.A.R.T

05 Reallocated Sectors Count: 078 (075) Data 0000000373 <=== 883  (converted from hex)
C6 Uncorrectable Sector Count: 222 (222) Data 000000001F <=== 31 (converted from hex)
C7 UltraDMA CRC Error Count: 104 (001) Data 0000000162

See:  Uncorrectable Sector Count and Reallocated Sectors Count

Used Space: 35.8GB (94%)
Free Space: 2.43GB (6%)

From your recent chkdsk /R report:

40041471 KB total disk space.
37070384 KB in 143566 files.
101444 KB in 28841 indexes.
12 KB in bad sectors.
274807 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
2594824 KB available on disk.

I believe that your system drive C: is in the process of failing.  The drive also has very little free space available for normal operations.  It should have a minimum free space of 15%; 25% would be even better.

Drive E:
From your System Events Log:

Error: (02/10/2013 09:39:42 AM) (Source: Disk) (User: )
Description: The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block.

You should immediately back up any data that you would not want to loose from both the hard drives.

My suggestion is to replace both drives.

Regards,
Brooks

#7 Houmaboss

Houmaboss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

@Artrooks Thanks for the quick reply, My C:\ Drive is a VERY old harddrive and i understand i need to replace it. Was honestly planning on it. Now for my E:\ Drive I'm only using it as storage and i purchased it about a year ago, is there a way to fix it? or do you ultimately think i need to get a new one?

Side-note: Just wondering what you think is the best option: I want a hard drive to use only for windows and another one to hold my games/documents/movies etc. Do you think its a viable thing to do? and if so, what do you recommend a 100 Gigabyte sata hard drive (for windows installation)  and then whatever size i require for an alternative (also sata) ? 

Also is it worth to upgrade to Windows 8?? Sorry for the tremendous amount of questions I just don't trust myself anymore.

Edited by Houmaboss, 10 February 2013 - 10:51 AM.

#8 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

Hello,

You could test your Seagate Drive E: with the SeaTools for DOS CD and allow it to attempt to fix any bad blocks.    That may work.

• Before proceeding, you should backup any important data on that drive because if SeaTools finds a bad block and attempts to fix it, there is a good chance of data loss. 

Download and run SeaTools for DOS.

• Accept the agreement, download the SeaToolsDOS223ALL.iso file, then burn it to create a bootable CD.
  • If you don't know how to create a bootable CD from an "iso" file,  I recommend using ImgBurn:
  • Download ImgBurn from here.
  • Install the software then start ImgBurn.
  • Select "Write Image file to disk."
  • Under "Source" click on the "folder icon" to the right and select the "iso" file location.
  • Click on this icon    to start the burning process.

• Set your computer to boot from the CD\DVDROM drive first or press the appropriate F key to bring up the Boot Menu and then select CD\DVDROM drive.

Boot the computer from the SeaTools CD and accept the license agreement.  Your hard drive(s) should be listed.

• Note: SeaTools does not recognise all SATA controllers so there is a chance that your hard drive won't be listed.  If that's the case, then please let us know.

Highlight the drive to test.
Select "Basic Tests" from the top menu, then run the Long Test.
If bad blocks are found during a Long test, a prompt will ask how to proceed.

• Allow it to attempt to repair All, assuming that you have backed up all important data on the drive.

Let us know the outcome.

I want a hard drive to use only for windows and another one to hold my games/documents/movies etc. Do you think its a viable thing to do? and if so, what do you recommend a 100 Gigabyte sata hard drive (for windows installation)  and then whatever size i require for an alternative (also sata) ?

You have done amazingly well with a 40 GB system drive.  If you can afford it, either an 80 GB or 120 GB Solid State Drive (SSD) would be my recommendation as a system drive, then use any SATA drive for storage.  

See SSD comparisons

Regards,
Brooks

#9 Houmaboss

Houmaboss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

So, im back after doing what u asked. I'm unsure what im supposed to notice, but it said it fixed things. So i guess i have to test it then? :P

#10 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

Hopefully, check disk won't be running all the time on drive E:, like previously.  Run for a while and see.

Important: Try to free up more space on drive C: or you will start getting different errors.  In addition, make sure important data gets backed up.

Regards,
Brooks

#11 Houmaboss

Houmaboss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

andddddddd it just disconnected itself :S

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,778 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

Try this firmware update from Seagate. The instructions are all there. Hopefully that will fix your problem.  

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/207951en

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****
When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

#13 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

Give  the firmware update a try. (Good find Leurgythumbup2.gif

***Perform below ONLY if the firmware update doen't solve the problem.***

andddddddd it just disconnected itself :S

Warning:
Perform the following steps Only if you are knowledgable and feel competent working inside the computer tower.
 If not, then please seek professional help.

• Power off the computer, remove the AC power cord from the tower, then remove the side cover.
  • Remove, them firmly reseat the SATA data and power cables on the SATA hard drive (Drive E: ) and do the same for the SATA data cable where it plugs onto the motherboard.  The fit should feel "snug."  If it feels loose, replace the SATA data cable.
  • If that fails to correct the problem, then move the hard drive SATA data cable to another SATA port on the motherboard.

Regards,
Brooks

#14 Houmaboss

Houmaboss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

So little update, my harddrive makes  "TICK" noise then freezes for a while, then continues. afterwards it makes that TICK again and repeats the process. From what i read, it sounds like a faulty hard drive, wanted to run it by you experts see what you guys think.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

#15 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

Whichever drive is "ticking" is failing rapidly.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users