Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broken Heat Sink Clip - Best Avenue of Repair

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 1,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

Hello,

I was working on a server yesterday, when I removed the riser card it grabbed a clip on the heatsink covering the MCH processor, and the clip popped out of the board.  I have a picture below of the board and the area the piece that popped out: (hi-res image at http://www.dataadmin.net/temp/poweredge2800motherboard.png)

The clip itself has two thin metal legs, a plastic piece that butts up against the motherboard, then the metal forms a loop where you attach the heatsink.

My question is: would it be better to try and solder this piece back on or just reattach it with super glue?  Are there any alternatives to hold the heatsink to the board instead of the clip?  Like special two-sided tape? 

I think I will be able to figure it out, but I am curious to see what others think or have experienced.

Thank you for your time,

whoabuddy

Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!" | If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM. | Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici | Proud member of UNITE

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet
How to detect vulnerable and out-dated programs using Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Editor

• BC Advisor
  • 3,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

Hello,

I would say its personal preference, and how good you are with solder and super glue, I don't think any tape exists for something like that then again I could be wrong, haven't really had the need to look around hard enough for some. If it attached with solder originally then I would at least try that, like I said imo its just up to you in terms of what you want to do and are comfortable with doing to it.
sigcomp.png
Please DO NOT PM me for computer help or advice, that is what our forums are for.
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | BC Welcome Guide | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! | Hang With Us on LockerDome!

#3 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Topic Starter

• 1,559 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

Hi computerxpds,

Thank you for your prompt reply, I was actually working on the server later that day and things went very well.  I decided to use super glue because it would have been difficult to get a good position to solder, however after reading some excellent information on super glue I applied thin layers, allowed sufficient dry time, and applied pressure to help seal the bond.  So far, so good, and I just checked on it again while replacing a SCSI card yesterday.  I took some pictures to help explain the process if anybody is interested, this may go up on my blog as well, and all descriptions contain links to the full-size image.

1. Example of a similar heat sink on the motherboard

1_example.png

2. Broken clip next to hole it's supposed to be inserted into

2_brokenclip.png

3. MCH and Heatsink before cleaning

3_beforecleaning.png

4. MCH after cleaning - much shinier!

4_aftercleaning.png

5. Application of silicone heat transfer compound

5_newheatcompound.png

6. Heat sink reassembled on MCH, without riser

6_reassembled_withoutriser.png

7. Heat sink reassembled on MCH, riser installed

7_reassembled_withriser.png

Note: Those plastic blue pieces are what originally grabbed the heatsink and pulled the clip out - don't forget to check and double check when pulling components!

Funny thing I noticed today - title should read "Broken" not "Borken" - guess you can tell I was a little rushed at the time!

Best Regards,

whoabuddy

Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!" | If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM. | Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici | Proud member of UNITE

How to detect vulnerable and out-dated programs using Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI)

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

While I was at it I fixed the spelling of the message title.

I always re-soldered those. I don't trust Crazy glue that much.

Also On certain model Dells that is part of a circuit that is used to protect the Chipset . The metal spring clip across the chipset's heatsink between the two metal hoops completes the circuit. If one of them pulls out the motherboard detects that and shuts down with a warning message.

I'd say you are lucky that wasn't case on your motherboard.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 13 February 2013 - 01:52 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

120 @ December 3

#5 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Topic Starter

• 1,559 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

Hi Roger,

Thanks for fixing that!

That makes sense too, I was curious why they would be connected that way, and fortunately I didn't run into any issues or messages like that. I will keep that in mind for future installations though, and I will post an update if there is ever an issue with the motherboard I repaired. I thought super glue would be appropriate after reading this article on how the chemicals work: http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004/10/stuff_eng_tech_ca_glue.htm

Next time I will think twice about using it.

Thank you for your time,
whoabuddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users