Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The best file recovery software for Mac OSX Lion?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 skorge91

skorge91

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

Hey guys!

Today I was very stupid and while I was adding files to my external hard drive, I accidentally replaced a folder with different files in it instead of merging it with the folder that already existed. I am a graphic designer and the folder that I replaced was almost 2 years of graphic design work that I've done. sad.gif

I was wondering what would be the best software for data recovery for the price? It is under 20 gb of lost files. I ran VirtualLab Data Recovery and it showed me that it pulled PSD's (Photoshop) and INDD (InDesign) files so that must mean that those are it? (It wont let me view big files over 5 mb, which would be nice to make sure that it can recover the files that I needed and not jarble. VirtualLab wants $99 for 500 gb of recovery but I definitely don't need that much. The lowest package they have is $40 for 100 mb that doesn't work for me either. sad.gif I don't know what to do. I'm trying not to be really sad.

Thankfully I had some designs in other places!

Thank you so much,

K

Edited by hamluis, 29 March 2014 - 12:17 PM.
Moved from Mac OS to All Other Applications - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 966 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

Data Rescue for Mac by Prosoft has always gotten good reviews.

http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php

My buddy used the PC version with good results a number of years ago.

[soapbox] backup = good...no backup = bad[/soapbox]

Please DO NOT PM me for computer help or advice or in response to my reply to your topic/issue. Instead, please post your reply to the forums. This is because there maybe more than just me trying to help you AND it ensures that any solutions to your issue are there in the original topic for others to learn from in the future.

The Bleeping Computer Welcome Guide
Bleeping Computer Forum Rules

#3 drwmbt

drwmbt

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:16 PM

backtrack 5 has forensic carving tools built into it. if you know anything about linux, i highly suggest you put it on a live disc or usb and boot into it then try to "carve" your hard drive for the missing files. it has 3-4 carving programs all free, all will get files of any size

#4 Protech_solutions

Protech_solutions

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

I have used Data Rescue for Mac by Prosoft before and had great results. It ranges from 80-90 dollars depending on where you get it but something tells me 2 years worth of graphic design is probably worth the money! Hope this turns out well for you! Good luck!

#5 seedy21

seedy21

• SpywareHammer Trainee
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:42 PM

Data Rescue or Boomerang. Both great but Boomerang is a bit more expensive.

Edited by seedy21, 17 April 2013 - 04:42 PM.

It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.
― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

#6 Judith1314

Judith1314

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:20 PM

Maybe you can search in Google or go to Appstore for help. There are so many file recovery software, and I think you can pick up the best you want.

Good luck!

#7 roll

roll

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:09 PM

Here is the 2013 best Mac recovery software reviews and comparison

#8 Cordell Carter

Cordell Carter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:48 AM

I also made such mistake and found the best recovery tools for recovering. Above suggested software are good and I also found one which helped me. Softtote Data Recovery free for Mac. Maybe it is suitable for you. :bananas:

http://www.softtote.com/data-recovery-free-for-mac.html

#9 davidheath

davidheath

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:20 PM

The best? To tell you the truth, there is no "the best software" for recovering lost files, all you need is the suitable software which helps you a lot to recover the lost files easily. Check this article which helps you a lot for solving file loss problem. uflysoft.com/data-recovery-mac/mac-files-recovery.html

Edited by davidheath, 05 January 2014 - 09:21 PM.

#10 LilBambi

LilBambi

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:30 AM

krislatin6, that Undelete Mac sounds really nice:

http://trash.undeletemac.org/know-how-to-undelete-trash-mac-os-x-lion

The biggest problem with any accidental deleting of files is time!

The longer you wait to do try to undelete them, the less chance you have of reliably getting back any files as the OS will release the space as needed to be overwritten.

Sometimes that can be minutes or hours. So, whatever you use, use it asap I would think.

Bambi
AKA Fran
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#11 SteveOC

SteveOC

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:11 PM

I personally wouldn't touch any product that is recommended by people who register on one or more forums solely to bump old threads to push a software product for money without declaring a vested interest..

I am seeing this across lots of forums and at best it insults people's intelligence, and assumes they are gullible.

To my way of thinking Dodgy Practice = Dodgy Company = Dodgy Software.

Steve O.

#12 LilBambi

LilBambi

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:09 PM

SteveOC, are you referring to the undelete mac software? Is that a dodgy software? If so, I am glad I have not downloaded it.

I generally use an open source TestDisk & PhotoRec from a USB drive.

Bambi
AKA Fran
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#13 Timothy S Winter

Timothy S Winter

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:38 AM

Hey,friend

Don't worry, maybe this article can help you how to recovery datas.....

http://www.sooperarticles.com/technology-articles/data-recovery-articles/how-recover-lost-files-your-computer-1286882.html

#14 SteveOC

SteveOC

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:43 PM

SteveOC, are you referring to the undelete mac software? Is that a dodgy software? If so, I am glad I have not downloaded it.

LilBambi

I don't know which product you are referring to  - was it in a post that was deleted by an Admin and the poster banned as a spammer maybe?

I think if you look at some of the remaining posts in this thread and look at the join dates and post counts of the posters you will get the gist of what I mean.

I tried TestDisk and PhotoRec but unfortunately they didn't work for me on the particular instance that I was working through at the time. I registered on the forums (same username as on here IIRC) and had some dialogue with the folks over there about the problems I was having if you want to have a look - I am not just knocking the products out of hand as I was hopeful of using them.

I have a couple of products that have worked for me -but I won't post them here because ( A ) They are commercial products, and ( B ) I ran them under Windows, not MAC.

Steve O.

Edited by SteveOC, 13 January 2014 - 01:44 PM.

#15 Nitorikoor

Nitorikoor

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:08 AM

LilBambi

I don't know which product you are referring to  - was it in a post that was deleted by an Admin and the poster banned as a spammer maybe?

I think if you look at some of the remaining posts in this thread and look at the join dates and post counts of the posters you will get the gist of what I mean.

I tried TestDisk and PhotoRec but unfortunately they didn't work for me on the particular instance that I was working through at the time. I registered on the forums (same username as on here IIRC) and had some dialogue with the folks over there about the problems I was having if you want to have a look - I am not just knocking the products out of hand as I was hopeful of using them.

I have a couple of products that have worked for me -but I won't post them here because ( A ) They are commercial products, and ( B ) I ran them under Windows, not MAC.

Steve O.

Well there is lot of data recovery software which can recover data from reformatted drives, logically or physically damaged storage devices. Also you can visit 

diskdoctors.com to see the FAQ's and recently asked questions, i hope there will be an solution for your problem. You can download free software but one thing you should 

remember that you can not find free quality software, there will be some limitation in it.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users