Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The names, pretty please, just the names!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 faster

faster

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

I have two new problems that cropped up just in the last two weeks. I ignored them as my own stupidity somehow, or just as flukes. Until they'd happened several times, which tells me there's malware involved.

Simply put, one of them changes the date and time on my PC, setting it back between 3 and 4 days. The other is that I often lose my mouse, not just online, but when using the PC for other things, like games. It just "unloads" itself.

Does anyone know the names of viruses or other malware that do these?

I'm not asking for a diagnosis. That I already have, except for the name of the infection(s).

It's the names I want, so I can check them out specifically. My malware programs haven't found anything.

I know the harm incorrect dates/times can do. I'm on the lookout now, but want to be rid of the scourge. Losing my mouse isn't highly destructive, but grandly irritating.

Would appreciate any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

It could be any of a number of things involved. Am curious on your post "I'm not asking for a diagnosis. That I already have, except for the name of the infection(s)." How did you get the diagnosis w/o names ?

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R. I. T.S. (and proud of it)

• Global Moderator
  • 9,426 posts
  •  
  • Location:Tuscaloosa, Alabama. No, I am not an Alabama fan. WAR EAGLE!!!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

Are you aware that a failing CMOS battery can also be a reason for the date/time changing?

Because there are a lot of virues and malware it would be difficult to pin down which ones might cause your issues.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 01 February 2013 - 05:12 PM.

#4 kltsin

kltsin

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:47 AM

Are you aware that a failing CMOS battery can also be a reason for the date/time changing?

Because there are a lot of virues and malware it would be difficult to pin down which ones might cause your issues.

Agreed on the cmos battery, they have a life span of about 5 - 7 years (though I have seen many 12 year ones with no issues) I believe and I cant see any reason that a malware would mess up the date by a few days (yes a kiddie scripter would/could write a virus but..) . Also a bios reset could be in order by pulling the cmos battery as the system rom may have issues..., resetting the bios would be my first step.

#5 Feril_Android

Feril_Android

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

First thing to check would be the cmos battery as has been said...are you sure the mouse and the date are connected? could be two different problems here...

#6 lti

lti

• Members
  • 534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

If the computer is used every day, then having the date set itself a few days back is strange and wouldn't be caused by a dead CMOS battery.

I don't know what is happening with the mouse. I had a computer that would randomly stop responding to the keyboard, and I fixed it by spraying contact cleaner in the keyboard port. It could also be a hardware issue, like the dozens of old Compaq computers I have seen that would stop responding to the keyboard or mouse until they were restarted.

#7 faster

faster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:06 PM

I don't have a Compaq. Feril_Android - yes it IS two separate problems. They don't happen concurrently.

I didn't mention that, at this same time, something knocked off every single one of my bookmarks on Firefox. That is definitely malware at work.

As for the diagnosis, jburd1800, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough. To me, the main diagnosis is what went wrong. To knowledgeable people, the cause of what went wrong is the diagnosis. I was saying I know specifically what went wrong. What I don't know is the cause, and I want to eliminate malware before calling in the big guys.

About 4 years ago, I had a big problem, and the whole BIOS had to be reinstalled by a pro. I don't know about the battery, though, if they changed it or not.

My equipment IS older, and I know of some problems that are entirely mechanical, like on bootup when it says the R/W RAM can't be read. I just reboot a few more times, and it doesn't give that message any more. THAT is certainly something to do with my equipment.

Setting the time/date back several days doesn't sound to me like it would be mechanical - for that, it'd just stop working or really go berzerk, or something. I once had a malware that changed the date/time on certain Java dlls. I just have to keep scanning for date/time errors to catch them, because no antivirus can.

Losing the mouse has happened before, but not often at all. My mouse is infrared and 2 years old. Now it seems to unload itself more often, and on applications where it usually doesn't occur. The only solution I have is to reboot, and that makes a big mess sometimes when I lose stuff. Is there a way malware can unload your mouse?

What I am asking is if anyone knows of malware, with a name I can research, that would do these things. This is because no antivirus program catches everything. If I have a malware name, I might be able to scan specifically for it.

I know I am not - at this point - considering the mechanical, but I will, later on. These things have the "smell" of malware in them. I know that's not being totally analytical.

If I can be fairly sure it isn't malware, then I'll look at mechanics. A pro would do it in reverse, I know, but I'm not a pro.

Does anyone know of a site with a database of malware of all kinds, and for each one giving a description of exactly WHAT it will do, the kinds of problems they can cause? I'd sure like to know if there is such a site.

Thanks for responding.

Edited by faster, 06 February 2013 - 11:11 PM.

#8 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:22 PM

I would suggest that you post in the "am I infected" section. I know of no site, or person, that can give you a list of all malware that causes your issues. It changes all the time. If you post your problem the BC staff can walk you thru the cleaning process to get the issue resolved.
Good luck... :thumbup2:

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#9 lti

lti

• Members
  • 534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

I don't have a Compaq.

That was just an example. Losing the mouse is probably a hardware issue, just like the RAM error. I have seen that before on old and failing hardware (I mentioned Compaq because they failed after only a few years), and restarting temporarily fixed it every time I saw it.

#10 Uncle Rim

Uncle Rim

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:03 AM

This sounds an awful lot like the corrode malware. At night it sneaks onto your motherboard and disrupts the contact between your RAM cards and the motherboard.

The only known cure is to reseat you RAM modules.

Instructions

#11 Lewis Computers

Lewis Computers

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

Try Malwarebytes. It is very effective at locating and identifying issues assuming it is malware. Here is the free download page. http://www.malwarebytes.org/

#12 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 935 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

Malwarebytes doesn't work on Win9x/ME there aren't many malware or anti-virus apps that do. ClamWin is about the only anti-virus app that works.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#13 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

The names, pretty please, just the names

it would take you longer to read what each malware affects are  ,than it would take to remove the hdd and hook it to another computer via usb device and scan it for viruses

:bananas: The story of a young boy growing up in Cape Breton and becoming heavily addicted to IV Drugs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApCvjXGUQ_Y&feature=youtu.be

aug 2014, last week this young man lost his life in a single car accident on his way to work ,so sad

#14 G4JC

G4JC

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

If you wanted "just names", most of which are generic varients of each other, you would need to read through, as of today, 22,068,148 (approximately 22.1 Million) virus names.
Plenty of reading to catch up on:

Have fun. icon_bananas.gif

Or you could run ClamAV or VirusTotal (per file), both still work in Win98. 

Edited by G4JC, 25 February 2013 - 09:43 PM.

#15 noknojon

noknojon

Almost Retired

• Members
  • 9,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:09 AM

The only thing that I know that can change time was the subseven trojan. It can only exist on older computers.

A bit of history from Symantic / Norton -
http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2001-020114-5445-99

The email was in Spanish and has the following characteristics:
Subject: Urgente: Actualizacion Antivirus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users