Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 and mail

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kemper2

Kemper2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

My laptop recently failed. It was running Vista and I was using Windows Live Mail as my mail program. I would like to transfer my saved mail from the old laptop to my new laptop, however I'm unable to find where Windows 8 stores the EML files that Windows Live Mail uses. Can anyone help me find them?

Edited by Kemper2, 30 January 2013 - 09:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

My laptop recently failed. It was running Vista and I was using Windows Live Mail as my mail program. I would like to transfer my saved mail from the old laptop to my new laptop, however I'm unable to find where Windows 8 stores the EML files that Windows Live Mail uses. Can anyone help me find them?

Try this--

http://superuser.com/questions/449389/where-does-the-windows-8-mail-app-store-data

OR:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CE4QFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fanswers.microsoft.com%2Fen-us%2Fwindows%2Fforum%2Fwindows_7-networking%2Fwhere-are-the-windows-live-mail-files-saved%2F63217c8f-d773-4826-ab92-7f9189ef2870&ei=Wv4KUY7hIIm-8ATPpYAg&usg=AFQjCNHreugbdFn_-82XhRxuq43WmqsiBQ&sig2=-9s0UHAewQIm-aI_svRFoA&bvm=bv.41642243,d.eWU
My Webpage ~ Surfing The Internet Is Like Raiding A Tomb

Cędite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Bleep Bleep!

• Admin
  • 40,364 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

By default it is stored in the following folder on Windows Vista, 7, and 8:

C:\Users\<login name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

On XP it is located in:

C:\Documents and Settings\<login name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail.

From the run box (Windows Key+ R) you can just type: %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

You may have to enable the viewing of hidden files first under the Folder Options control panel.

#4 Gregory77

Gregory77

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

I'm likely not nearly as qualified as everyone else here but I've also used Windows Live for quite a while. Your messages aren't even stored on your computer. They are in the cloud. Well obviously the most recent ones are still there but they should automatically be uploaded to the cloud at certain specific periods.

#5 jfruch1

jfruch1

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:16 AM

If you are using a microsoft account like Hotmail, all your mail will still be on the website.  They don't ditch your mail until you delete them unlike some other services.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users