Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Information about ComboFix being infected and what you should do

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 Pajajn

Pajajn

• Members
  • 350 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:26 AM

I'm afraid to use this tool even under the supervision of a qualified person. I hope I never have to use Combofix. To me is no difference between the words "Combofix" and " Reinstall".

Yes, it is safe to use.

this program is great, I don't know how many times it fixed my slow running computer.

Dude you schouldn't just randomly start these programs when your PC is slow. There are alooooot better programs that could easily be read from a new computer user to help speed things up again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#62 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:19 PM

That's interesting - two days ago I downloaded ComboFix and it messed up my computer.  It said I needed to restart and when I did my computer was totally screwed up and I had to do a system restore but I'm still having problems with stuff popping up.  How do I know if its messed up again or if it is something else with my computer please?

#63 freedie

freedie

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:47 AM

That's interesting - do you mean that two days ago your downloaded and ran ComboFix for no reason - just to see what happened to your computer. Or did you make the whole thing up?

#64 Grinler

Grinler

Bleep Bleep!

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 40,360 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:47 AM

JayJax, CF is not infected.

If you ran into an issue after running CF, you should post a new topic in this forum and someone can help you:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/25/antivirus-firewall-and-privacy-products-and-protection-methods/

#65 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 936 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 08:12 AM

Avast gives a warning when I download ComboFix of here and it deletes it. I have ComboFix I downloaded along time ago and scanning shows the same warning.

Edited by Keithuk, 02 November 2014 - 08:13 AM.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#66 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 33,309 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 08:28 AM

Keithuk...you have replied to a topic almost a year old and the original issue was resolved.

Please note that ComboFix is no longer infected and is safe to use.

Grinler, Site Amin Post #1

In your case...this is a false positive by the anti-virus.

Certain embedded files that are part of legitimate programs or specialized fix tools such as Combofix may at times be detected by some anti-virus and anti-malware scanners as suspicious, a Risk Tool, Hacking Tool, Potentially Unwanted Program, a possible threat or even Malware (virus/trojan) when that is not the case. This occurs for a variety of reasons to include the tool's compiler, the files it uses, whether files are compressed or packed, what behavior (routines, scripts, etc) it performs, any registry strings it may contain and the type of security engine that was used during the scan. Other legitimate files which may be obfuscated, encrypted or password protected in order to conceal itself so they do not allow access for scanning but often trigger alerts by anti-virus software.

When flagged by an anti-virus or security scanner, it's because the program includes features, behavior or files that appear suspicious or which can potentially be used for malicious purposes. Compressed and packed files in particular are often flagged as suspicious by security software because they have difficulty reading what is inside them. These detections do not necessarily mean the file is malicious or a bad program. It means it has the potential for being misused by others or that it was simply detected as suspicious or a threat due to the security program's heuristic analysis engine which provides the ability to detect possible new variants of malware. Anti-virus scanners cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert you or even automatically remove them. In these cases the detection is a "false positive" and can be ignored. Either have your anti-virus ignore the detection or temporarily disable it until you download and run the tool.

The problem is really with the anti-virus vendors who keep targeting these embedded files and NOT with ComboFix. We can inform the developer but he has encountered this issue many times before and in most cases there isn't much he can do about it. Once the detection is reported to the anti-virus vendor, they are usually quick to fix it by releasing an updated definition database.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users