Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comodo ver 6 - Not happy with configuration & installation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

TITLE:
Comodo ver 6 - Not happy with configuration & installation

Had some trouble with Comodo today. Windows 7 64 bit. I noticed my laptop was slow and cmdagent.exe was consuming an inordinate amount of cpu. I decided I would download and install latest version of Comodo firewall. Process did not go well. I would appreciate feedback as to what went wrong, and would also appreciate comments on Comodo Firewall version 6 that I talk about below.

(1) Downloaded latest installer from Comodo.com - 127MB - by clicking on link "Comodo Firewall" on Comodo home page, and downloading from the next page by clicking on "Continue - Firewall Free Download".
(2) Disconnected from Internet
(3) Uninstalled current running version of Comodo
(4) Rebooted
(5) Made sure that C:\Program files\Comodo was empty in order to get ready for next install
(6) Run installer from #1 above
(7) Installer installed Dragon browser, Geek buddy, and Anti-error, then when installing the firewall, the installer hung when it reached 81%. Let it sit there for 81% - HUNG FOREVER.
==> By the way, I am ANNOYED that products were installed (Dragon, Geek, Anti-error) that I never asked for. I just wanted the Firewall and nothing else.
(8) Killed the installer.
(9) Rebooted and made sure Windows Firewall running, & reconnected to Internet
(10) Uninstalled Geek Buddy
(11) Rebooted & made sure that C:\Program files\Comodo was empty and no Comodo products running.
(12) At Comodo web site, started chat session with Comodo tech. I explained my problems. He gave me this link to download version 6 of Firewall:
http://download.comodo.com/cis/download/installs/1000/standalone/cfw_installer_x64.exe
This installer is 48MB and NOT the 127MB that I downloaded in #1 above.
I asked the tech where on the Comodo web site I should have gone to download this installer.
He would not tell me, just told me to use the link he gave me. So how does one download just the Firewall without talking to the Comodo techs?
(13) Run installer from #12 - version 6 is now installed.
(14) Rebooted
(15) In Firewall interface, clicked on the activity task & was told to install Killswitch; I did this.

ANY THOUGHTS ABOUT THE ABOVE AND THE FOLLOWING?
(16) Comodo icon no longer shown in the right side of the taskbar (where the network & other icons are displayed). The previous version displayed the icon and you could see when there was upload and download traffic by watching the arrows. APPARENTLY THIS NO LONGER EXISTS?
(17) In order to see Internet activity, Killswitch had to be installed. I did this. Not a bad utility. BUT - WOULD BE NICER if there was an icon that showed up when I logged in. (Yes, I know that I can run Killswitch, then pin the icon to the taskbar. This is NOT what I want since the icon is on the left side rather than the right side of the task bar). The previous version's icon was nice - one could see immediately that Comodo was running and Internet traffic was immediately visible without having to click. Now I have to click several times to get to where in the previous version all I needed was to look at the icon. Not that I am lazy, but seems to me that THIS IS NOT PROGRESS. I think the previous version interface was better.
(18) IMHO, the interface in the previous version was superior to the interface in the current version.
(19) Where on the Comodo web site does one go to download the Firewall installer, that is, the 48MB version? Why would the Comodo tech not tell me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

Almost Retired

• Members
  • 9,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

Hi -
Firewall Download, Windows 7 Firewall Security ... - Comodo Firewallpersonalfirewall.comodo.com/free-download.html - United States This is a Comodo site -
Click the Drop-down box for Windows7 64bit -

File Size48 MB
The extras like GeekBuddy (live 24 / 7 help) and Dragon (browser) are available to Comodo users -
Comodo Dragon is a freeware web browser. It is an implementation of Chromium and is produced by Comodo Group.

Regards -

Edited by noknojon, 29 January 2013 - 03:50 PM.

******************************************* Waiting for a reply ??

Press F5 to Refresh as you may have one waiting************************************************

#3 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:01 AM

I created a similar thread on the Comodo forums and was not surprised at the number of folks who are unhappy with the version 6 interface. I think Comodo needs to rethink: (1) How they package their products; (2) Interface design.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,442 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

Generally speaking, a firewall is a firewall and the only reason for any kind of update or new version is for marketing reasons. You get nagged to use their other products. Comodo would not be the first company to mess up a product with an unnecessary update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users