Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen even for Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 The-Bytemaster

The-Bytemaster

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

I am fairly experienced with computers and have been working off and on as a technicial since Windows 3.1. I can usually figure something out with enough searching, but I am stummped here. It helps that I got out of most tech work and went into programming full time about 6 years ago.

In any case, I attempted by first Windows 8 upgrade from Windows 7. I used the downloaded installer. It seemed to go fine, but I got excited and made the rookie mistake of trying to updated too many of my apps before rebooting -- even thought they had not, to my recollection, asked for a reboot. Now all I get is a blue screen displaying INTERRUPT_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. I finally found the way to get into safe mode, and it does the same thing. Here are the pertinant details:

• Windows 8 Pro x64
  • in-place upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium x64
  • HP laptop dv6-2173cl
  • 4 GB RAM, About 500GB HDD with about 90GB Free space remaining

Here are some of the things I stupidly installed without rebooting:
  • Latest NVIDIA driver
  • Comcast Constent Guard (uses Norton 360 and other tools), including, apparently, an AntiLogger
  • Windows Phone 8 SDK, which has its own set of dependancies it installs

I haven't made a mistake like that in many years and, while I was glad it was to my own machine rather than someone elses, I would really like to be able to boot it again.

Thank you for your help. We all get stuck once in a while -- that is how we learn.

EDIT: I did read through the instructions for posting about BSOD, but the two tools listed on the top require that you can run them. Apparently both are 32-bit apps, which will not run from command prompt in the recovery console. That is the only thing I currently have access to unless I am missing something.

Edited by The-Bytemaster, 25 January 2013 - 09:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,917 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

Hi

If you did not connect any new hardware to the system then that is probably a device driver error. If it is also happening in Safe Mode then it is probably a device driver loaded by a service that is marked as BOOT START.

If you can get to the option to choose safe mode then you should be able to do this.
Check out this tutorial and see if you can get to the System Restore part (basically, choose System Restore instead of Windows Startup Settings in the Advanced Options screen)...
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/system-restore-from-windows-8-recovery-environment/

You may have a restore point that will take you back to prior to you adding the item that is causing the blue screen.

James

#3 The-Bytemaster

The-Bytemaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:21 AM

Yeah.... I only had one point. It took out at least part of the Phone SDK... I notice some files are still there.

Unfortunately, it did not change the start error at all.

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,917 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

I have a very similar setup. One of my dev boxes (mainly for Win8 and Win phone 8 App dev) was upgraded to Win8 Pr064 from Win7 Home Prem64 in the same manner as yours. I had no problems upgrading the Nvidia driver and adding Windows Phone 8 SDK (along with a bunch of other dev stuff)

I did not add anything like...
Comcast Constent Guard (uses Norton 360 and other tools), including, apparently, an AntiLogger
Since I am using Win8's built in AV.
I have turned on and am looking at that computer as I make suggestions since I figure its the closest I can get to sitting at your computer :)

In the Advanced Options Screen (where you saw System Restore), have you tried Automatic Repair yet?
If it fails, we can look at the logfile it creates. I want to use that to try to rule out a deeper problem with the computer before we turn on boot logging and attempt to identify the problematic driver.

Also, I'd like to know how far the boot process gets before you get the blue screen. Do you login before you get it? Do you see the Windows logo before you get it? How far does it get when you try safe mode?

James

#5 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,917 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

I may be away for awhile today so here are the next steps in case the aforementioned Automatic Repair does not help.

We need to see if we can find what is causing the error so first we'll enable boot logging then we'll look at some logs including the one that was created by the Automatic Repair.

You know this part pretty well by now :)
Start it like you do when you want to turn on safe mode...
Troubleshoot
Advanced Options
Startup Settings
Restart button

Instead of Safe Mode choose this...
2) Enable Boot Logging

Now let the computer boot normally to the point where it gets the blue screen error.

We want to look at the following text files for clues as to what is causing the crash.

C:\Windows\ntbtlog.txt

C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\Srt
bcdinfo.txt
bootfailure.txt
disklayout.txt
SrtTrail.txt

If you have a flash drive
Try to get to a command prompt
Troubleshoot
Advanced Options
Command Prompt

When you get to the command prompt plug in your flash drive
Wait a moment to give it time to connect and then at the command prompt type
notepad
and hit enter.
Now you can open each of the text files listed above and then save them to the flash drive using FILE|SAVE AS in Notepad.

Then come back here and attach or post the contents of the files in your reply.

Oh, and the answer to these questions are very important so please don't forget to answer these...

Also, I'd like to know how far the boot process gets before you get the blue screen. Do you login before you get it? Do you see the Windows logo before you get it? How far does it get when you try safe mode?

James

#6 The-Bytemaster

The-Bytemaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

I cannot get to the login screen. The windows logo appears and runs for several seconds with the "throbber" showing. The screen starts to fade and quickly goes to black, then displays the blue screen. From the indicator lights on the notebook I can tell that it is at least after the point where the wireless network adapter has been initialized.

In Safe Mode it is at basically the same point, though you never see the "throbber". The logo fades out, the screen is black for a second or two, and then you can see the blue screen error and that encouragingly friendly sad face. I guess they finally gave up and took a note from apple.

Logs Below.

EDIT: Two things I forgot to mention. First, the blue screen does appear on the secondary extrnal monitor while the Windows logo appears on the laptop itself.
Second, The full error message is "INTERRUPT_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (KeyCrypt64.sys)" . I had tried even renaming the folder that I found KeyCrypt64.sys in from C:\program files (x86)\KeyCryptSDK to KeyCryptBAD, but that did not remove the INTERRUPT_EXCEPTION__NOT_HANDLED message, just the file name after the message. When I did the system restore, it reinstated that folder.

Edited by The-Bytemaster, 26 January 2013 - 06:38 PM.

#7 The-Bytemaster

The-Bytemaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

I zipped those files and posted here: http://ge.tt/66Om3bW/v/0

#8 The-Bytemaster

The-Bytemaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

Something you said about the security suite had me thinking and I think I may have found/fixed the problem. Testing and doing clean up now and I will let you know.

#9 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,917 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

Good job.

I'll request help from someone who can tell you what to do in order to remove the program related to that driver (Zemana AntiLogger Free). It still may be something else but that does fit the profile of what would cause a problem like this.

Please be patient.

James

#10 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,917 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

Okay, I'll hold off on asking for assistance. Let me know what happens.

The assistance is basically getting help from someone who is allowed to have you run special diagnostics programs. I have not completed the requirements to allow me to do that yet (it's a good system and prevents many problems) so I would ask one of the qualified members to help.

James

#11 The-Bytemaster

The-Bytemaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:05 AM

Thank you so much for your help. I did figure out the problem. It was a combination of the Zemana AntiLogger Free, which is installed by Comcast Constant Guard, and the HP Media Keys software which was on their already (hpqkbfiltr.sys)

Apparently from what I have read, hpqkbfiltr.sys basically acts as a keyboard filter to enable the "media" keys on the laptop. I only have volume on this laptop, so I was not too worried about it.

After manually moving the files for Zemana AnyiLogger, it was still the hpqkbfltr.sys that would cause problems. Moving that out of the drivers folder allowed the system to boot, but you had to use the on-screen keyboard to do anything as the keyboard and touchpad would no longer function. External mouse worked fine.

I did some further troubleshooting and found I could still boot with the AntiLogger in place, as long as I did not put the hpqkbfiltr.sys file back. That, and doing a driver scan, would cause the blue screen. I guess it was blue screening while initializing input devices before or enumerating PnP.

In any case, I was able to uninstall the HP Media Keys software from the control panel and the system now seems to be working normally even with the AntiLogger in place (I had uninstalled and reinstalled Comcast Constan Guard). I tested the media keys, however, and Windows 8 seems to be able to handle them just fine without the special software.

Once again, thank you for your help!

Edited by The-Bytemaster, 27 January 2013 - 01:06 AM.

#12 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,917 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

Excellent. Thanks for the explanation. Others will find this thread while searching for a solution and you may save them considerable time and effort :)

James

#13 JoeMaffei

JoeMaffei

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

Same exact problem here, under the same circumstances (Constant Guard + HP). However, I have an HP ProBook 4530s running Win7. I booted using an Ubuntu DVD so I could move the HPQKBFILTR.sys file out of the drivers folder. Keyboard and touchpad didn't work but Win7 did boot, exactly as described. I uninstalled AntiLogger SDK and HP HotKey Support (as there wasn't an "HP Media Keys" installed). It worked like a charm. Thank you immensely for describing how you did it -- I didn't find any info on this problem anywhere else.

#14 tend2it

tend2it

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

Wow, I'm glad google found this thread ... been scratching my head on this for over a week ... I had the same exact problem on my two Win7 x64 HP Pavilion DV4I-2100 notebooks within a few days of each other ... luckily, I had a recent backup of each to restore since nothing seemed to work to get windows to boot ... think it must have been related to a recent Comcast Constant Guard update because it only happened recently (and I remember a prompt for an update in the browser). I didn't see a separate "Zemana AntiLogger Free" uninstall option so I opted to remove Constant Guard altogether (didn't add much value for me). Also didn't see HP HotKey Support nor HP Media Keys" installed but it may have been bundled in another HP Media package. ... so far so good with 6 reboots later ... fingers crossed.

#15 Thstarling

Thstarling

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:05 AM

I am having the exact same issues that you're speaking of. Trying to resolve similar issues;

EDIT: Two things I forgot to mention. First, the blue screen does appear on the secondary extrnal monitor while the Windows logo appears on the laptop itself.
Second, The full error message is "INTERRUPT_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (KeyCrypt64.sys)" . I had tried even renaming the folder that I found KeyCrypt64.sys in from C:\program files (x86)\KeyCryptSDK to KeyCryptBAD, but that did not remove the INTERRUPT_EXCEPTION__NOT_HANDLED message, just the file name after the message. When I did the system restore, it reinstated that folder.

I have tried reaching out to Comcast Constant Guard support with no success. Just need a little further assistance in regards to the steps to resolve I have attempted the safe mode but this also results in a blue screen with a dump at the bottom.

I need steps on what to do in order to remove the program related to that driver (Zemana AntiLogger Free)/Constant Guard or is there any easier way to resolve this with a cd/file set If so how would I get the system to boot from the cd?

Please advise I have some critical files that I cannot afford to lose tried a backup of all files to no avail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users