Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony Vaio Won't Charge or Power Up

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 PutterPlace

PutterPlace

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:34 AM

Early this month, I began having issues with a Sony VAIO (VPC-EB2JFX/L). First, there was an issue with the charging adapter. It began beeping, and stopped working, so I purchased a universal laptop charger as a quick replacement. This worked fine for a while. A while later the laptop began to get "fussy" about when it would charge, and would sometimes only charge if the cord was in a certain position. This lead me to believe that this was a problem with the adapter itself, I purchased yet another one. By the time this one got here, the laptop would not charge at all with either of the two new adapters, nor would the orange charging light turn on. It was only after that when I checked the voltage from both adapters with a multimeter, and found that they were outputting the correct voltage without issue. From there, I decided that there may be a problem with the charging port. I disassembled the laptop, and checked for continuity between the outer port and the connector which connects to the motherboard. It checked out fine, and the voltage at the motherboard connector was reading correctly as well. Finally, I thought perhaps this was an issue with the battery. Unfortunately, the local battery shop wasn't able to test this particular laptop battery simply because of the brand, though I can't remember their explanation regarding that. Nonetheless, I decided to order a new battery. It just came in yesterday, and to my dismay, the laptop is not charging with the new battery either.

Could this be a problem with the motherboard? Or maybe there is something else that I have missed, or haven't tested? If there is any other information that I can provide, I'll be more than happy to do so.

Any help with this matter would be very highly appreciated. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 953 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

copy and paste from elsewhere
Try the following:
Click "start" then in the search window type in vaio control center.
Click on the Vaio control centre icon above the search box.
Then under Power management, select "battery"
On the right side you will see a check box that says "enable battery care function" If this has a tick in it, untick it and your battery will charge to 100%

also for win 7
http://jeffreypalermo.com/blog/plugged-in-not-charging-windows-7-solution/

#3 PutterPlace

PutterPlace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

Unfortunately, at this point, I'm unable to boot the laptop due to the battery being discharged. On another note though, this doesn't appear to be a Windows problem, but more of a hardware problem seeing as how it won't charge with the laptop being turned off, and unable to turn on.

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 953 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

I agree, I thought you were able to start it plugged in. It should start plugged in with no battery. Charging circuits are in the motherboard, but if it will not start plugged in the problem is before that. I would revisit the jack, do you have continuity on both pos and neg. Sorry had to ask. also there is a ribbon cable from power button to motherboard if jack checks out ok.

more google answers:

hardware reset
Remove the battery and charger/ac adapter/power cord from your Sony vaio laptop, press and hold the power button for 20 seconds to discharge any residual current inside the laptop. This clears your RAM and is like a hardware reset. Replace the battery and charger/ac adapter/power cord and turn your laptop on.

replace CMOS battery (? who knows)

also i read charging circuits can be damaged from a bad battery but that would only explain the charging issue not the no start issue.

#5 PutterPlace

PutterPlace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

From what I've read, it's common for Sony VAIO to not start without the battery, as it's how they were designed for some strange reason. I'm not sure if that means that it won't start with any working/non-working battery connected, or if the battery needs to be working. Nonetheless, with two batteries (one of them being brand new), I highly doubt that I've got two dead batteries on hand. I think that would be just too coincidental. :P

I've gotta head to work for now, but will try your other suggestions in a while. I'll post back with my findings.

#6 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 953 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

My daughter has a VAIO VGN-NW235D and it will start plugged in, no battery.

#7 Feril_Android

Feril_Android

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:00 AM

Hi... hmmm..

If the machine is not powering up at all, I would try removing and replacing the memory. And if this doesn't work I'd do the same with the cmos battery. I know this can be a pain, but I have seen a few machines spring back to life after this simple 'fix'. But saying all that, it seems to me that the problem is most likely with the charging port..

#8 Feril_Android

Feril_Android

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:02 AM

Hi... hmmm..

If the machine is not powering up at all, I would try removing and replacing the memory. And if this doesn't work I'd do the same with the cmos battery. I know this can be a pain, but I have seen a few machines spring back to life after this simple 'fix'. But saying all that, it seems to me that the problem is most likely with the charging port..when you said that the laptop would only charge when the cable was at a certain angle would make me highly suspicious of the port..possible fracture?

Oh, I'm having a slightly similar problem, which invoves the cmos battery..

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic483278.html

Goodluck.

Feril

Edited by Feril_Android, 28 January 2013 - 04:15 AM.

#9 PutterPlace

PutterPlace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:02 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions. I apologize for my delayed response. I've just gotten really busy, and hadn't had time to come back and post until now. Anyways, I tested for continuity between both positive and negative connections for the jack again (just to make sure) with no issues. Regarding the CMOS battery, it should be fine in regards to liveliness since I tested for a voltage output during my initial examination. I'll try pulling and replacing it in the morning. It shouldn't really be a pain since it's in plain sight with the bottom of the laptop removed. ;) As for removing and replacing the memory, that's been done several times already during disassembly. :P

@caperdog: I'll also try out that hardware reset suggestion and then post back with my results. Thanks again for all of the help y'all are giving.

#10 ecc25

ecc25

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

Hello, did you manage to make any progress with this?

I have exactly the same problem with a different Vaio model, an old PCG-V505.  Again, I had increasing problems with power cord connection and now it won't power up and there are no lights or anything.  It's not the battery as I've tried a spare, and I've disassembled the laptop and can see 16V arriving onto the solder joints.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

#11 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 953 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

check ribbon cable to power button for damage.

this guy claims pressure on ram modules will make it start

hold power button in for 30 seconds

hardware reset
Remove the battery and charger/ac adapter/power cord from your Sony vaio
laptop, press and hold the power button for 20 seconds to discharge any
residual current inside the laptop. This clears your RAM and is like a
hardware reset. Replace the battery and charger/ac adapter/power cord
and turn your laptop on.

#12 robz1989

robz1989

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:30 AM

i had the same problem so i stripped it down and put 2 wires on the ac jack still pluged in the board but the 2 other wires + from AC jack to the battrey and - to the - on the battrey and it powerd up fine. befor i brought it the person seid smoke come out of it !! but i have to sort the chargeing side out as it wint work if i remove the wires it will be 100% dead i hope it helps :)

#13 ecc25

ecc25

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

That sounds promising!  Can you be more specific?

For me, I can see there is voltage (16V) on the ac jack, and there are various voltages elsewhere on the board.  Are you saying there are further connections from the AC jack to elsewhere that it's worth checking?  Can you give me a pointer?

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users