Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Go Back to Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

I just got a new laptop (Lenovo IdeaPad) with Win8 installed. I am basically a computer user, use the old style basic cell phone and have never used a Tablet or e-reader. When I bought it, the salesman assured me it was basically a laptop computer. I even chatted with a Lenovo rep and he assured me it is a laptop.

After starting it up, I absolutely HATE it. I don't like the way it response, and the touch pad is really screwy and doesn't exactly go where I want it to go. I also am not fond of the bundled software.

Can I buy a copy of Windows7 and install it on this computer and go back to the way I like to compute? I have a desktop and another laptop and I also don't have any patience for this new way.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Bleep Bleep!

• Admin
  • 39,925 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

Yes, if you do not like Windows 8, you can absolutely just buy a copy of Windows 7 and install it onto that computer instead. If you do that, I suggest you allow the drive to reformatted so it is a completely clean computer.

Make sure you create recovery disks from the manufacturer first in the event you wish to try Windows 8 again.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,303 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

Hi, Or Maybe you would be happy with this in Windows 8
How to add a Start Menu to Windows 8 using Classic Shell Tutorial by Grinler

Windows 8 no longer includes the traditional Start Menu that Windows users have become associated with using. Instead they replaced it with a new interface called the Windows Start Screen that many people find to be not as intuitive as the traditional Start Menu. This is especially the case if you are not using a touch screen. With this in mind, a free program called Classic Shell has been updated to support the ability to add a Start Menu to Windows 8.

Plenty of tutorials By Grinler here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-8/

This way You can save your money by not buying Windows 7.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

July 79.4

#4 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:19 AM

Thanks for the two options. I spoke with the Lenovo people and they told me in order to 'digress' to Win7, I have to first upgrade to Win8 Pro, then go backwards. That doesn't make sense to me but I'm not a tekkie.

I am tempted to take the computer back and look for something with the more traditional OS system I am used to using. I have been working with computers since Windows 3.1. I have a desktop with Windows XP d(with plenty of life in it, I might add, so it will be around for a while) and a second laptop with Windows 7.

Installing the traditional start button looks tempting. Another feature I didn't care for in Windows 8 is the 'new' look of Control Panel. I like that classic look where everything is organized in a way that makes sense to me.

As you might guess, I have the standard cell phone and I've never used a tablet.

One question...IF I keep this computer, Windows 8 will of course continue to run in the background...will all those apps I am not interested in using be a resource hog?

Thanks again.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,303 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

HI, You are going to have a problem finding a new Computer with Windows 7 as all the name brands switched over to Windows 8, When I was looking around Christmas time all I found was Windows 8 and a few leftover Windows 7 models. That did not bother me as IK wanted a Windows 8 laptop to learn the new Win 8 with. What bothered me more was the lack of Touchscreen models at a low price.

If you look at the tutorials here for Windows 8 I suspect most of Your questions will be answered. Such as
How to open the Control Panel in Windows 8
Author: Lawrence Abrams

In Windows 8, Microsoft created an additional PC Settings section that you can use to customize some settings related to the Windows Start Screen and other basic settings. If you wish to gain access to the full range of settings in Windows 8, though, you must use the desktop Control Panel. The desktop Control Panel is the same as what we remember from previous versions of Windows, but is just not as intuitively accessed as it used to be. This tutorial will walk you through the various ways you can access the desktop Control Panel.

How to shut down or restart Windows

How to change your Windows desktop icons

When you install Windows you will find that your desktop has only the Recycle Bin icon and any other icons enabled by your computer manufacturer. If you wish to add other icons such as the Computer, Network, Control Panel, and your User's Files icon you will need to perform a few easy steps.

It really is a newer Windows 7 inside of Windows 8 from what I can see.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

July 79.4

#6 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

I returned the computer and am now searching for one with Win7 pre-installed. I'm hot on the trail of a few...

Thanks very much for your input. When I woke up this morning (after sleeping on it), I decided I really didn't want to mess with Windows 8. I poked around online and found a number of articles indicating I wasn't the lone soul in the world who was not impressed with this new OS.

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,627 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

win7 and 8 work much the same ,biggest difference is the new start screen ,just click the desktop icon and for regular use you will not even know you in win8

local mom and pop computer store is best place to look for laptop with win7 ,local one here sold about 100 of them at Christmas

:bananas: The story of a young boy growing up in Cape Breton and becoming heavily addicted to IV Drugs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApCvjXGUQ_Y&feature=youtu.be

#8 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

I returned the computer and am now searching for one with Win7 pre-installed. I'm hot on the trail of a few...

Thanks very much for your input. When I woke up this morning (after sleeping on it), I decided I really didn't want to mess with Windows 8. I poked around online and found a number of articles indicating I wasn't the lone soul in the world who was not impressed with this new OS.

Yeah I hear ya. I've heard the sales have been pretty bad and not what Microsoft had expected. They often seem to think that releases will be awesome and past experiences have shown that they are quite ignorant to listening to the customer and not learning from their mishaps. They really need a change of policy and restructure to listen to their customers and not all about what they want as that will run a company to the ground.

#9 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

Disregard this msg.

Edited by LittleGreenDots, 23 January 2013 - 04:24 PM.

#10 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:25 AM

UPDATE: I looked around for a decent laptop with Windows 7 and the really nice ones were already grabbed. So I decided to give Windows 8 another try, after I saw computers set up in stores that looked manageable. You have to keep in mind that I am not up with the latest technology, even though I've been working on computers since Windows 3.1. I've never navigated on a tablet, don't own a smart phone, am not into social networking, and hadn't read a single article about Windows 8, so I had no idea of what I was getting into.

When I fired up that first computer with Win8, besides the start-up screen confusion, the computer needed some configuring as the mouse pointer software that ran it was designed for both mouse-click orientation and hand movement. I didn't realize that at first and navigating through the screens was nearly impossible.

I went back and bought a Windows-8 laptop and am setting it up.

#11 Grinler

Grinler

Bleep Bleep!

• Admin
  • 39,925 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

Good luck. If you need some recommendations on how to get it working well, please let us know. I would start with these Windows 8 Tutorials. Some may be more advanced then you need, but we have a lot of info there that can help you get familiar with te OS.

#12 iceman85

iceman85

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

I never left Win xp ;)

I remember seeing a chart that the biggest competitor to windows 7 was stil... win xp.

#13 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:02 AM

If you do go back to the classic desktop by installing Class Shell, can you set it up where it brings up the sign-in screen where you can have different users listed?

A friend's work got new computers (in an apartment community of the older generation) where they need to have a guest account that they can keep straying eyes from screwing up the computer in a limited account. These people can use these computers on a limited basis.

Hope this explains what they need.

#14 captcharlieg

captcharlieg

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:34 AM

glad i'm not alone in not liking windows 8. and like you have been working with ms os's from dos 6.1 and just purchased a new toshiba laptop. along with a retail copy of windows 7 ultimate,since i tested windows 8 from the beta 1 on releases i knew i wasn't going to like it, sorry guys but i do not like the smart phone look on a work station or laptop. so first thing i did was make a set of backup/restore dvd's this took 4 dvd's due to the bloatware from the factory, booted to the dvd then formated the hd and did a clean unbloated install of windows 7 ultimate.
the laptop works like a dream,windows installed the needed drivers while updating the install.

Edited by captcharlieg, 26 January 2013 - 07:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users