Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search.certified-toolbar hijack

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 EdgeManiac

EdgeManiac

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

HI there,

I would appreciate any assistance at this hour. I am about ready to give this notebook the 'drop test'. I have tried everything to remove certified toolbar.

I deleted it out of the 'add / remove programms', then deleted it as an extension from each of the browsers I use and redirected the searches back to google. I then also edited all the registery line items that stated 'search.certified-toolbar'.

I then ran a number of malware and spyware id and removal programs such as Spyhunter, Reghunter, PC Tools Spyware Doctor as well as Malware. I have managed to remove the browsers' re-directs BUT when I open outlook 2010, word and excel all are re-direct to 'certified toolbar'.

Please could someone assist.

Thanks a stack

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jazzkid

Jazzkid

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:09 AM

Hi Marco

Unlike you I continue to have the nightmare. The issue remaining is in word and excel where the Search-certified document automatically opens. I have tried following your instructions but can't find any way to get rid of it.

You have said:
"it was just a corruption of the link icon in the start menu (I believe you have this problem just opening a new file, not an already saved doc): you may see this in file/info/related document/open file location (the last link re-directing to the infamous certified search toolbar).
The fastest effective solution I have found it is simply deleting the link (which is corrupted) from the start menu list. The new link you will add will be ok."

OK - so in word 2010 when I go to recent documents, the document with a link to search .certified toolbar.com/?si=41460&st= shortcut&tid=#### comes up. It is more obvious than what I have put here - but didn't want the whole link in case someone copies it. I have removed the link for the document and in "recent places" as well. However, if I open word or excel with a blank document, there it is again!!
In the last paragraph you have "simply deleting the link (which is corrupted) from the start menu list. The new link you will add will be ok." I think I did this - but am obviously missing something. If you can put this into less technical (although I can usually follow most things) language, maybe I'll get it. It is driving me nuts!!

I did manage to get it out of the three browsers after some significant effort and reading lots of info such as this.

Any assistance greatly appreciated

#3 j1j2a3j4

j1j2a3j4

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

I have had this issue the last week too (see some of the fixes we came up with at http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/search-certified-toolbar/m-p/897433/highlight/false#M230081)

Thought all was good on my system again until we used Word this morning and found it there too. Also found on other Office programs. All of the infected/hijacked files were pinned to my start menu.
Have fixed it now, by just right clicking on the items that are pinned to the start menu, and then selecting 'unpin from start menu'.

Has fixed it for me.

#4 j1j2a3j4

j1j2a3j4

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

P.S. THIS ALSO APPLIED TO OTHER PROGRAMS IN THE PINNED START MENU, WHICH WERE NOT OFFICE PROGRAMS. SAME DEAL, JUST RIGHT CLICK AND REMOVE.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Bleep Bleep!

• Admin
  • 40,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

Download http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/linksearch.exe and run it. When the log is created please post the contents of the log as a reply to this message.

It should show all the affected links that need to be edited to remove the redirect.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Bleep Bleep!

• Admin
  • 40,089 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

Btw, does anyone know how they were infected by this?

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Bleep Bleep!

• Admin
  • 40,089 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

We have a removal guide here:

Remove the Search.certified-toolbar.com Browser Hijacker

This guide utilizes a new tool called Shortcut Cleaner that will scan your computer for hijacked shortcuts and automatically clean them for you.

#8 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 5,994 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

Updated the index to include the Search.certified removal guide. :thumbup2:

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,122 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

Updated the index to include the Search.certified removal guide. :thumbup2:

I just finished updating the entire thread. I had to create a 2013 page and add everything released since the beginning of the year so I moved the Search.certified removal guide to that section.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#10 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 5,994 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Thanks!! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic