Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavillion DV6700 will not start, no BIOS screen just black

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Arfer

Arfer

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:33 AM

I powered down the machine yesterday (Shut Down) and now this morning the computer will not boot.
When I try to boot the machine the BIOS screen does not appear, the HD light flickers on but then stays off. All other lights on the machine are on as normal. The fan kicks in within 30 seconds and sounds like it's running at maximum revs.
I did a hard reset and reseated the HD and the RAM and replaced the RTC battery without fixing the issue.
I will disassemble the unit and make sure the fan is not clogged, in the meantime does anyone have any thoughts ?
TIA
Arfer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SnowmansN1pples

SnowmansN1pples

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

Arfer, it sounds like the video card is completely gone. I know this series of laptop extremely well and I'm willing to bet you have the nvidia GeForce. These cards are extremely faulty, they run around 190F under no stressful load. Now put it under load and if it hasn't been cleaned it sores past 225F. Thats hot enough to have all the solder points of the GPU turn back to liquid and the GPU is no longer in contact with the motherboard. I owned the Presario V3000 which had the same problem. You would have to replace the motherboard to have it going, and you don't know if your getting another faulty one so I would write it off. Sorry for the bad news, I hope the rest of your day goes better.
-Rob

#3 Arfer

Arfer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:55 AM

Arfer, it sounds like the video card is completely gone. I know this series of laptop extremely well and I'm willing to bet you have the nvidia GeForce. These cards are extremely faulty, they run around 190F under no stressful load. Now put it under load and if it hasn't been cleaned it sores past 225F. Thats hot enough to have all the solder points of the GPU turn back to liquid and the GPU is no longer in contact with the motherboard. I owned the Presario V3000 which had the same problem. You would have to replace the motherboard to have it going, and you don't know if your getting another faulty one so I would write it off. Sorry for the bad news, I hope the rest of your day goes better.
-Rob

Thanks for the reply Rob. I have done some more research and your comments re GPU are spot on. Bad news this end!! Thanks anyway

#4 Feril_Android

Feril_Android

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

I agree with snowman... it might be worth getting it re-balled professionally..just make sure the outfit that does it uses leaded solder. But it may not be cost effective..Good Luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users