Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Messenger discontinued?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 honu1

honu1

• Members
  • 472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

I recently was sent an email from Microsoft stating Windows Messenger is going to be discontinued(no date given). In order for me to use Messenger, I have to convert to Skype. I do not have a web cam, nor do I have a microphone. The webcam isn't necessary really. But.....do I really need a microphone? I only occasionally "chat" on Facebook or Messenger. I do have functional speakers for my desktop.

Before I download Skype, I wanted to check with members in the "know" here at BC as to what is really necessary.

Thank You
honu1
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 27,825 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

When Microsoft bought Skype in 2011 for 8.5 billion dollars the handwriting was on the wall for MS's messenger platform. From a business standpoint it did not make sense to continue to support 2 competing platforms. Skype is the far more robust platform. The key was being able to integrate existing MSN clients and customers into Skype. That ability has come. No additional equipment is required to use Skype. You will still be able to use Skype like you use MSN. However should you decide to enhance your communications abilities with others. You can add a microphone and webcam and take full advantage of Skype's robustness and plethora of features. Works well as a messenger or video chat client.

Disclaimer: Not a current user of Skype or affiliated with MS, just familiar with the platform.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown

Posted Image

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 472 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

Thanks for such a speedy reply,Animal! :wink:
Before actually posting my topic here,I used the search function for all forums. It brought me to pages of malware(?) topics,so I am very hesitant to download Skype if BC has reservations. Any idea as to when Messenger is no longer able to be used?

Also, do I have to uninstall Messenger manually,then download Skype? Looking thru the Skype tutorial, I thought Messenger would be automatically removed if Skype is downloaded????

Just want to keep my computer safe from the "nasties". I still have lots of reading to do re: Skype.The idea of making phone calls via computer is intriguing, but I assume that feature is only possible if the other party is connected to Skype also.

Thanks for your input :busy:
honu1

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 53,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

Hello,

I moved from Messenger to Skype a month ago. I had both programs installed and only kept Messenger because I had some contacts that were not on Skype.
In order to merge your Windows Live/MSN account you need to have Skype installed and create a skype account. You can then open Skype and log in using your Windows Live/MSN credentials after which you'll be asked to provide your skype ID so both accounts can be merged.

There is no need to set up a microphone/webcam. Skype has a "normal" chat feature as well. It has the advantage that you can always see text from the past days, or Instant Messages that have been sent to you while you were offline.

After you merge the accounts you will have to manually uninstall Windows Live Messenger and afferent products (if you had any installed).
regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

banner.png

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

#5 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 472 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

Thanks Elise,
Your info was most helpful,especially the uninstall part. Hope Skype is as easy for me to understand+manage as Messenger is. :whistle:
honu1

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 6,190 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE honu1: ..."The idea of making phone calls via computer is intriguing, but I assume that feature is only possible if the other party is connected to Skype also."

That would be completely free....calling only those who have Skype.

You can purchase Skype minutes to call all phone numbers. You can purchase your own Skype phone number that others can call.
You can purchase a portable Skype phone that does not need to be connected thru a computer....just your modem or router.
Phone number and one year of calls to any US and Canada phones....approximately $60.00
Call quality and service is in my opinion equal to land lines. But no 911.

Linux users will need to get the latest Skype for Linux....4.1...to use Windows Messenger. Download Skype for Linux, get Skype for Linux

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”
Lawrence M. Krauss

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 53,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:30 AM

Also, if you have a smartphone, you can install the Skype app and if others have it, you can call from smartphone to smartphone using Skype completely free.
I am using Skype for years to make international calls (PC-to-PC) and it works just fine. I never purchased any of their services, although the option is good to have when you need it.
regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

banner.png

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users