Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to reduce the cost of being connected

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 1up2down

1up2down

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

I am an old age pensioner on a very low income and presently paying Virgin 40 + to supply me with a telephone line, TV and 10 MB unlimited Broadband (seems a lot slower). They have also just informed me that they intend to increase that by another 4.50.

I never use the phone, and most of the time I only watch the free view channels on the TV anyway. So all I really need is just the broadband. Unfortunately, no matter how cheap the other suppliers seem to offer their broadband for, they all want to charge for a line rental too, which puts the cost up near to what I am already paying.

Can anyone give me any advice on the best way of keeping the cost down.

As an alternative I have also been considering the possibility of buying a laptop or tablet to allow me to be more mobile, but I have no idea about the cost being connected to the Internet with either. I do know I am not keen on these USB devices that not only limit how much you use but also take away anything you have not used at the end of each the month.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

What country/state/postcode are you in? Just so we could check what's available in your area.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#3 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

I am in the UK

#4 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

In the Oxford area

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,443 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

Your price in USD is about 60-65 permonth which isn't roo bad for tv true broadband internet and voip phone service. At least not in the US market.

Those usb things you spoke of can be some of the better deals in internet connection I've used one for 3 years but I'm grandfathered in with an unlimited plan. The catch 22 is if you have poor cell serviceyou will have a poor connection. What people in th US do is get one of the ish data cards or WiFi hot spots and use them with pay as you go plans however in the last year the prices have equilized between contract and no contract deals.

I have no real insight on how UK telecoms work beyond that.

Forgive misspellings I'm on mobile for now

Posted Image

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 1,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

Hi 1up2down.

Is that what we in Scotland would call a But and Ben with a loft conversion ?

Seriously, if you are not happy with Virgin - and I presume you mean their cable TV / phone / broadband service, then you have essentially two options. The first is the one most of us use, an ADSL connection over a landline, the second is some sort of connection over a mobile phone service.

The first of these will inevitably involve the cost of a landline but there are some reasonably priced suppliers around if you do not download a great deal. Plusnet comes to mind, they are usually competitively priced. The second optiion is to go for a mobile phone supplier but I believe they can work out quite expensive for data charges as well as you would need a monthly contract.

A completely different approach would be if you live in a moderately dense neighbourhood. If you do, there are almost certainly wi-fi users within range of you. It might be worth seeing if you can connect via one of your neighbours connections, perhaps for some consideration like paying half their line rental ? All you would need for that is a wi-fi dongle stuck into your computer and their router security code.

If any of your neighbours have unsecured networks, then it is possible just to connect. Do NOT do this !  It is illegal and could finish up with you on theft charges ! Ask first.

Best of luck,

Chris Cosgrove

#7 flipsadler

flipsadler

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:20 AM

Your price in USD is about 60-65 permonth which isn't roo bad for tv true broadband internet and voip phone service. At least not in the US market.

Those usb things you spoke of can be some of the better deals in internet connection I've used one for 3 years but I'm grandfathered in with an unlimited plan. The catch 22 is if you have poor cell serviceyou will have a poor connection. What people in th US do is get one of the ish data cards or WiFi hot spots and use them with pay as you go plans however in the last year the prices have equilized between contract and no contract deals.

I have no real insight on how UK telecoms work beyond that.

Forgive misspellings I'm on mobile for now

yes agree! VoIP phone service can significant lower cost and saves you over a traditional telephone  and also with lower monthly fees and cheaper long distance rates..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users