Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java Install Not Working in IE10 on Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 MosaicSwirl

MosaicSwirl

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

Hi,

Please accept my apologies if this is not quite the category to post this problem...

I am unable to install some Internet Security software or work with a number of web pages correctly as the Java is not working in Internet Explorer 10 on Windows 8 of our machine?

Windows Updates are current, I have tweaked all sorts of ActiveX and Plug-In options on and off within "Internet Options" and the "Java Control Panel", and the "Verify Java Version" link ( http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp ) works fine in displaying the installed JRE version within Firefox, and Opera etc.

I have un-installed and re-installed Java, and have the latest version, even trying 64-bit and 32-bit versions of it both individually and concurrently, and am working in the Desktop and not Metro version of IE 10.

I even reset IE, tried compatibility views, and disabled other Add-Ons etc., and have also tried to find a solution online where I notice several people have also had this issue, but am getting nowhere?

Thus I am stumped and very very angry and frustrated?

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

¿Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,917 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

Hi

I don't understand what doesn't work? Is there some specific program or webpage that is having a problem? If so, what is it and what is the error message?

James

#3 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:31 AM

Posted Image

Hi,

Please accept my apologies if this is not quite the category to post this problem...

I am unable to install some Internet Security software or work with a number of web pages correctly as the Java is not working in Internet Explorer 10 on Windows 8 of our machine?

Windows Updates are current, I have tweaked all sorts of ActiveX and Plug-In options on and off within "Internet Options" and the "Java Control Panel", and the "Verify Java Version" link ( http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp ) works fine in displaying the installed JRE version within Firefox, and Opera etc.

I have un-installed and re-installed Java, and have the latest version, even trying 64-bit and 32-bit versions of it both individually and concurrently, and am working in the Desktop and not Metro version of IE 10.

I even reset IE, tried compatibility views, and disabled other Add-Ons etc., and have also tried to find a solution online where I notice several people have also had this issue, but am getting nowhere?

Thus I am stumped and very very angry and frustrated?

Any suggestions?

Java won't work in Metro, only Desktop mode.

My Webpage ~ Surfing The Internet Is Like Raiding A Tomb

Cædite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

#4 MosaicSwirl

MosaicSwirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:12 AM

(1) James Litten - Java (7 Update 10) does not work in IE 10 Attached File  ScreenShot_ 2013-01-08_08h33m48s.jpg   89.35KB   11 downloads
even though it is installed correctly and working in other browsers Attached File  ScreenShot_ 2013-01-08_08h35m27s.jpg   104.81KB   13 downloads
thus I cannot install McAfee Internet Security Attached File  McAfee Installation Error_CD.jpg   69.92KB   10 downloads...
(the link I posted is to verify Java version in your browser, but in my IE 10 it does not verify, just sits with the pending circle)

(2) Medab1 - I am using Desktop mode for IE...

Edited by MosaicSwirl, 08 January 2013 - 03:49 AM.

#5 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:45 AM

(1) James

(2) Medab1 - I am using Desktop mode for IE...

See picture--

Attached File  Untitled.jpg   53.67KB   19 downloads

#6 MosaicSwirl

MosaicSwirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:39 AM

Thank you for the ActiveX Filtering reply Medab1 - Yes I have that unchecked (I had it checked before, but remembered and unchecked it hoping that would solve it when selecting and trying the compatibility view option...)...

#7 James Litten

James Litten

¿Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,917 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

Hi

The Mcafee error mentions Javascript which has nothing to do with Java and does not use Java at all (though the naming is confusing :) ). Are you trying to install this from a Mcaffee subscription where it downloads the file prior to installing? If so, you need to contact them for assistance. Sometimes it is a problem with your subscription information on their servers. You do not need Java installed to use that software.
http://service.mcafee.com/Default.aspx

For Java in IE you should have seen a message to enable it at the bottom of the screen in IE like the protected mode disabled message in your picture. Did you see it and click ENABLE or maybe just closed it without making a selection?

I'm not positive about how that would look in the IE Internet Options settings since I do not have Java installed on any Windows 8 machines.

Does anyone else here have Java installed on Windows 8 and could help MosaicSwirl double check his settings in IE or perhaps the Java applet in control panel?

James

#8 MosaicSwirl

MosaicSwirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

Okay, so Java is installed - Javascript is the one that is not working... :crazy: Having a rest :busy: and a think :scratchhead: before my next post... Probably later tomorrow afternoon/evening... Posted Image

Edited by MosaicSwirl, 08 January 2013 - 07:37 PM.

#9 MosaicSwirl

MosaicSwirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

Hi

The Mcafee error mentions Javascript which has nothing to do with Java and does not use Java at all (though the naming is confusing :) ). Are you trying to install this from a Mcaffee subscription where it downloads the file prior to installing? If so, you need to contact them for assistance. Sometimes it is a problem with your subscription information on their servers. You do not need Java installed to use that software.
http://service.mcafee.com/Default.aspx

For Java in IE you should have seen a message to enable it at the bottom of the screen in IE like the protected mode disabled message in your picture. Did you see it and click ENABLE or maybe just closed it without making a selection?

I'm not positive about how that would look in the IE Internet Options settings since I do not have Java installed on any Windows 8 machines.

Does anyone else here have Java installed on Windows 8 and could help MosaicSwirl double check his settings in IE or perhaps the Java applet in control panel?

James

Thanks again James Litten for your additional reply... (and explaining kindly that Java and Javascript not quite the same thing - I thought you needed to install Java to run Javascripts :smash: :hysterical: - I now realise they are independent rather than co-dependent...)

Right, I understand Java is installed correctly - but Javascript is not working in IE10/Win8. I have confirmed this by going to www.JavaTester.org where the Java version shows okay in both Firefox and IE10, however, the JavaScript message displays in Firefox but NOT in IE10.

I have tried installing McAfee from both a CD and online subscription download, but both ways resulted in the same message I posted a screenshot of. I subsequently sent an email to McAfee support, but I believe Javascript in IE10 is the issue rather than my Subscription on the servers which seems okay, because when I then tried to install Kaspersky, it started up the installation with a message along the lines of 'Installation without Javascript'.

I am wondering if a security setting in Windows 8 itself is causing this issue?

There was never any pop-up message about Java/JavaScript like the Protected Mode one that I am aware of. I have enabled ActiveX scripting within the Internet Options Custom Security settings and Browser mode is enabled in the Java control Panel etc. so if anyone can advise as James Littenhas mentioned I would very much appreciate this.

(It's a shame I cannot rename this post "Javascript not working in IE10 in Windows 8" Lol)

Edited by MosaicSwirl, 08 January 2013 - 09:22 PM.

#10 MosaicSwirl

MosaicSwirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

I also came across this link in my troubleshooting surfing, that explains to press F12 in IE10 to get some browser compatibility options and try using IE9 option:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/f4089159-8b63-4472-929c-6e9e904ea62b

I pressed F12 and the options window that opened below has overwhelmed me! So I shall try selecting the IE9 option later, but would still like a solution to getting Javascript working in IE10 and/or on Windows 8.

#11 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:59 AM

I also came across this link in my troubleshooting surfing, that explains to press F12 in IE10 to get some browser compatibility options and try using IE9 option:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/f4089159-8b63-4472-929c-6e9e904ea62b

I pressed F12 and the options window that opened below has overwhelmed me! So I shall try selecting the IE9 option later, but would still like a solution to getting Javascript working in IE10 and/or on Windows 8.

Maybe these settings will help---

http://i45.tinypic.com/sc9oqv.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/2mhx2t4.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/k9yx5y.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/2cqd4ap.jpg

#12 MosaicSwirl

MosaicSwirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

Hi again Medab1,

All of the settings from the images you kindly posted have already been applied and are as in the pictures... Any other suggestions?

#13 James Litten

James Litten

¿Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,917 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

Try the RESET button at the bottom of the ADVANCED tab in all of those settings that you have been changing. That will set IE back to the way it was before you changed any of those settings.

If that does not work then your IE settings are not the problem.

Also, if javascript did not work on your computer then you would have a lot more problems than you describe. I think that your IE works fine and your only problem is with that McAffee program that is actually kind of useless in Windows 8 anyway.

If you reset IE as I have described, can you then tell us any problems that you have besides the McAffee program. If not then the problem is with the McAffee program and you'll need to contact them again. When I looked into it, they seemed to have problems with compatibility with Windows 8 a few months ago but fixed it so they should know how to fix your issue. In many cases the javascript error proved to be a problem with their subscription servers that had to be fixed by one of their support personnel.

Hope this helps
James

#14 MosaicSwirl

MosaicSwirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

UPDATE:

I have since had an email reply and two online chats with McAfee support, where they have now escalated it to Tier2 support for more complex issues which will hopefully be a call tomorrow morning, because their first fix attempts did not work. This involved first clearing my temporary files, trying to register JScript.dll, VBScript.dll, and scrrun.dll - of which I know Jscript.dll failed to register with the error code 0x80004005, reinstalling Java 7 Update 10, then clearing my cookies and temporary files, rebooting, and trying the installation again, to no avail.

I then tried to register the JScript.dll file myself and searched for information about the failure error online and came across these two webpages (one) (two) with a proposed solution of executing a set of commands to change the file permissions of keys within the registry using the SubInACL tool of the WIndows Resources Tools...

...I have not tried it however as I am unsure how safe it is, and if it would be okay to apply to Windows 8, because it seems to me it would elevate almost everything to full permission for an administrator or user??? So any thoughts on whether I should try this fix is appreciated... ...I have already made a backup of the whole registry in case (not sure I will be able to use it anyway!)...

So I then had a go at trying to troubleshoot the JScript.dll registration failure, navigating to keys in the registry under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT for JScript and JavaScript respectively instead. I tried changing the permissions for them, allowing Full Control for all objects listed, but then the JScript key lost the plot and became inaccessible. I then disabled UAC, and then made sure to launch cmd.exe from within the Windows System32 folder with Administrator Privaleges (right-click) - ideas ascertained here, and then finally successfully registered all three dll files, and the JScript key within the registry is now once again accessible.

However, the overall problem STILL persists!

I also wondered whether to try and install a new JScript (not sure if this is correct thinking)?, but only found this odd TypeScript installation at the Microsoft Downloads Centre that would be applicable in WIndows 8 for JavaScript, and did not think it was a good idea to install any of the older "JScript vX.X" applications listed there when not specifying an operating system.

I tried the F12 changing to IE9 in IE10, but discovered this was lame for this issue as it just changes for that specific page, and it still did not enable the verify Java to complete!

:whistle:

#15 MosaicSwirl

MosaicSwirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

Try the RESET button at the bottom of the ADVANCED tab in all of those settings that you have been changing. That will set IE back to the way it was before you changed any of those settings.

If that does not work then your IE settings are not the problem.

Also, if javascript did not work on your computer then you would have a lot more problems than you describe. I think that your IE works fine and your only problem is with that McAffee program that is actually kind of useless in Windows 8 anyway.

If you reset IE as I have described, can you then tell us any problems that you have besides the McAffee program. If not then the problem is with the McAffee program and you'll need to contact them again. When I looked into it, they seemed to have problems with compatibility with Windows 8 a few months ago but fixed it so they should know how to fix your issue. In many cases the javascript error proved to be a problem with their subscription servers that had to be fixed by one of their support personnel.

Hope this helps
James

Hi James,

Yes, I had tried that RESET option already - albeit reluctantly - you know, after customising internet options and toolbars etc.! Thank you though.

Well JavaScript options also do not work correctly in my IE10 (desktop), so for example, when I go to certain pages, print, or selecting etc. on certain pages fail and does nothing, where they work when I then load them in our other browsers... and also the Kaspersky appplication shows a message that it will try to run the install without JavaScript, with a Technical Support link underneath, so whatever the problem is, I believe it is indeed causing a couple of issues. I am not running/trying many programs etc. and also minimising random use, as we are not as fully protected as I would like, so I have not become aware of other issues.

I also tried turning off Windows Defender which has taken over in the interim, just in case this was causing some kind of a security/permission issue - no difference....

Thank you for the further post :cool:.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users