Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Types Wrong Letters

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bleep2105

bleep2105

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:13 PM

Hello- After repairing my screen, Averatec returned my 5110P.Upon
return it has a keyboard problem. Averatec tells me that even though
the warranty ran out while in thier possession they cannot help me.

Here is the problem-

u types j
\ types nothing
d types x
f types nothing
g types v
j types u
x types f
v types g

Here are my attempted fixes-

1. NUM lock is off
2. HKEY_USERS/Default/Control panel/Keyboard has proper values
3. Updated drivers
4. Deleted/reinstalled drivers
5. Completly reinstalled OS (xp Pro) with start up disks

My Keyboard properties reads:

Japanese PS/2 Keyboard (106/109 Key)
Device type: Keyboards
Manufacturer: (Standard Keyboards)

If I go to Start/All Programs/Accessories/Accessibility/On-Screen
Keyboard, the on-screen keyboard types properly

The physical keyboard types the same whether in DOS or windows

I don't have an external keyboard, so I haven't tried that yet.

I believe the "Japanese" refers to manufacturer and not Language
because, I belive I have seen that keyboard for sale in systems that
are targeting english consumers.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thanks much,
Brandon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,075 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:35 PM

Have you tried updating the driver?

If that doesn't work, you could try remapping your keyboard with a program called KeyTweak(http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/)

x.png
Boredom Software Stop Highlighting Things

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,626 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:38 PM

Not to point out the obvious, and only because I've actually done this to people to watch them get mad as I laugh at them.....but has somebody pranked you and switched around your keys? I noticed that "d" and "x" are next to one another, same with "u' and "j" and "v" and "v" and "g".

Your top row should be as follows:

qwertyuiop

Middle row:

asdfghjkl

Bottom row:

zxcvbnm

If that's not the case, then have you tried restarting your computer? If that didnt' (doesn't) fix it, then have you tried another keyboard? Be sure to turn your computer off, unplug your current keyboard, then plug in a different one, then start your machine. Windows doesn't like it when you unplug a keyboard (or ps2 mouse) when it's running.

Have you tried unplugging it and plugging in (reseating) your connections in the back? They might have come just a tad loose.

Hope it helps!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 05:19 PM

What kind of repair did they do?

It sounds like your keyboard may not be connected properly or just be broken. (being that you have an f key that doesn't type a letter)

Being that your laptop was in for a repair under warranty and was returned broken, have you contacted customer service at the manufacturer directly?
It would seem that they are obligated to fix it.

#5 bleep2105

bleep2105
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:42 PM

Keyboard must be broken (though, I don't know why some letters are switched). Re-mapping is only possible on unaffected keys. The problem keys do not respond to remapping. Averatec is standing firm telling me that thier warranty is not extended due to any time that is was in thier possession. I did find where thier small print backs them on this. The computer has had several issues and per thier policy I only recieved free shipping the first time. I had to pay the other three times. They virtually replaced everything (mother board, screen, ram) I don't know if it was something malicious on the part of an annoyed tech or just the result of having to send it to them several times, but I just replaced it with a vaio and the averatec has been sitting for a year.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:23 PM

It is hard to prove that the problem was caused by them, but if they changed all those other components they must have had the keyboard out and broken it or reconnected it improperly.

See if you can talk to a highly ranked manager.

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:20 PM

I wonder if it could be something as simple as a ribbon cable slightly misaligned? This whole thing is really sad because Averatec was supposed to be one of the best for customer services and paucity of complaints.

#8 bleep2105

bleep2105
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:14 PM

Another weird anomoly that I just discovered is that although I cannot re-map any affected keys, if I change the language to, say the dvorak, I can get the affected keys to change. The one key that never works (f) still does not work. Thanks for all of your input. I just want to get it working so I can give it away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users